Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Development - how are we doing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InTheBath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Development - how are we doing?
    Posted: 16 July 2017 at 8:57am
Following on from the comments made by MP in a meeting with the JSG

"WRU will conduct a review of all regions as two are considered to be doing very well in development area and additional funds will be allocated when they are deemed to be investing appropriately."

and our relatively small number of players in the U20 squads over the past few years, I was wondering if someone could give me an overview of how we're doing as a club in this part?

I think Coleg Sir Gar have done pretty well over the past few years but how are we doing at school/college level in general? Are we behind the more populated areas in number and or quality of young players?

While our conversion rate from talented youngster to competent pro player seems very good compared to most, we should always look to improve. Could we identify and nurture talent a bit better between 15 and 18? DO we need to improve our academy coaching and reach to get more players involved?
Sponsored Links

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 9:05am
MP was referring to us and Osps as doing very well. One of our limitations is cash, obviously. The more time and effort we put in and the longer we can spend before making "the cut", the better we'll be.

I think we do ok at the moment though. 

Edited by Wasp - 16 July 2017 at 9:07am
Supporter of the evil region against the gallant union
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 12:22pm
I feel a lot of the schools and 6th form colleges do well, and produce a lot of talent, it is when they are introduced into the club and regions where the development slows down.

The Scarlets and Ospreys do well, but I'm not sure how the others do, as an example Blues will probably have Seb Davies as their number 4 second row this year after the introduction of 2 "older" second rows, sad really.

The club scene I feel is just ok, younger players are happy to sit on the bench and play 10 minutes rather than go down to play 50/60 minutes in the lower leagues. There is nothing like match fitness.

We badly need to improve the club scene that is where I feel players can improve, if we can get that right, then players will be ready for the regions earlier than they are now.

Players can earn a lot of money in the Aviva as back up/reserves and we must stop the trend of them leaving, if we could then players like Roberts & Adams would not have gone to England, and Bath I believe have around 6 Welshmen in their squads excluding the 4 internationals.

This of course MUST be backed up with regions playing them, again the 2 west wales regions do well. I feel that is because of the ethos and desire, while in the East there is more money.

Interesting to see Cardiff recruiting Clive Jones as their development director, local boy was heavily involved in Coleg Y Cymoedd.

One day I would really like to see a Scarlets match day squad of around 18 players qualified to play for Wales FROM birth, and a majority of them from the region, with only key players being recruited.

I am sentimental and naive but I can dream.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 4:31pm
We need to find a way to identify and produce a few more lock forwards and number 8's for the sake of Welsh rugby. The kiwis seem to have and endless production line in these key positions. Our cupboard doesnt look quite as full atm. A lot of this will need additonal funding, some of which should come through the WRU as they continue to eliminate their debt

Edited by roy munster - 16 July 2017 at 4:46pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 11:27am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

We need to find a way to identify and produce a few more lock forwards and number 8's for the sake of Welsh rugby. The kiwis seem to have and endless production line in these key positions. Our cupboard doesnt look quite as full atm. A lot of this will need additonal funding, some of which should come through the WRU as they continue to eliminate their debt
Lock is generally the weakest position across the Regional Age Grade teams with few monster. How do you produce big old units

I'm aware of one RAG lock, admittedly 16, who is only 13st 7 lb at 6 ft 3 inches. He is competing at the contact area with 16 stone centres. We just don't seem to have a huge amount of big units in the age grade set up in that position. Will Griffiths, Seb Davies and the Beard's of this world seem exceptions
#George
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 1:51pm
All genetics. Its all to do with what lads are interested in rugby and out of those, what lads have the genetics to be 6"6...not many around and something we can not just "produce". 

Tom Price the finest prospect we have had in the position for quite some time...but he's not from the region. 

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 2:04pm
as for development, dont think we need to go too deep to find that we are doing well. Even if we just take the last 3-5yrs:
Looseheads Rob Evans, Wyn Jones, Rhys Fawcett
Hookers: Ryan Elias plus u20s Daf Hughes, plus Kirby Myhill 
Tightheads: Samson Lee
Locks: Lewis Rawlins / Tom Price (although not from academy, they are lads that have been given their shot down west and developed into regular regional players. 
Flankers: James Davies, Will Boyde, Josh Macleod
Number 8: Jack Condy - ignored by Dragons, but injuries aside, a lad that can progress. 
Scrum Half: Gareth Davies, Aled Davies, Declan smith, reignited Jonny Evans, Rhodri Williams
Fly Half: Dan Jones, developing Patchell, plus the likes of Jack Maynard, Josh Lewis
Wingers: Steffan Evans and a new crop - Ryan Conbeer, Ioan Nicholas, Cory Baldwin, the older - George North, Jordan Williams. 
Centres: Scott Williams, Steffan Hughes
Full Backs: Liam Williams

that's just off the top of my head...there's probably plenty of lads I've missed out. Development at the region can not really be questioned IMO....and the mentioned lads are just the ones that get to regular game time.  

Craca Hyll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craca Hyll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

All genetics. Its all to do with what lads are interested in rugby and out of those, what lads have the genetics to be 6"6...not many around and something we can not just "produce". 

Tom Price the finest prospect we have had in the position for quite some time...but he's not from the region. 

I'm trying to think how many regular starters we've had at lock in the past 20 years that have come entirely from within the region.

I can only name 1 - Dominic Day. That's a pretty bad track record.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Craca Hyll Craca Hyll wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

I'm trying to think how many regular starters we've had at lock in the past 20 years that have come entirely from within the region.

I can only name 1 - Dominic Day. That's a pretty bad track record.

Agree. But if there aren't any within the region to produce, there aren't any.

We still seem to have josh helps from Carmarthen involved. He's not exactly the tallest when it comes to locks.
Jake Ball, Tom Price, Lewis Rawlins, Tadhg Beirne, these are also players we have developed. Not from the region but, but they are developed by us at lock.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 8:14pm
I would not say we developed the 2nd rows, improved yes, but they came to us when late teens/20.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

I would not say we developed the 2nd rows, improved yes, but they came to us when late teens/20.

All came on development deals. All had vast amount of development to do. There's all sorts of developing. Although not developed through academy, they were developed into what they are to fulfill the potential Scarlets saw in them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic