Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Doug Perkins..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 10:45am
He is involved with the academy already, so would be no shock if he stepped onboard
Sponsored Links

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 10:56am
Fitzy keeps stating serious investment in the quest to become a the best in the world as well as hard work but the building blocks are in place... World class stadium, World class academy and line up that includes 15 internationals and so far, 4 British Lions. The serious investment... I know he goes on about targeting international companies but I wonder if there is another investor lined up. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

He is involved with the academy already, so would be no shock if he stepped onboard

Indeed. We obviously have no right or expectation of him to inject ( basically give) the Scarlets a stack of his hard earned cash. He owes the club nothing but I just hope that he will continue to grow his affection for the club by making bigger payments to us going forward. I must say however,that his decision to invest in the Academy is spot on ie constructive targeting to help Llanelli not just throwing it into the big pot. He must get asked for  donations all the time.Now if Doug wants to double or treble his investment in the Academy that’s great for me 👍

Edited by reesytheexile - 27 July 2020 at 11:08am
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 11:45am
Fitzpatrick a rugby icon and Perkins a billionaire backer is the stuff rugby dreams are made of

Not saying it'll work out that way but you cannot ask for any more
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 11:57am
totally true, this could be amazing news for the scarlets. 
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 12:26pm
I echo your sentiments David totally
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 1:10pm
Doug Perkins went to Llanelli Boys Gram, and was a speaker at their Old Boys Dinner a few years ago, he did play a few games with Llanelli Wanderers, and has a reputation of being careful with his money, apparently it took quite a few years to get him to support the  Academy.

We can all hope, but we shouldn't hold our breath, just in case.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

In my experience, eyebrow raising can indicate very good or surprising things as well as not so welcome stuff.

Mind you, we have had a lot of practice of looking to the heavens and raising eyebrows in despair at government. Enough manoeuvring to put together a decent mark in an ice skating competition.

Quite so - James Bond (sorry - the Roger Moore version) made a career out of eyebrow raising, often at rather good news!

If Mr Perkins is willing and able to put a bit more of his financial muscle behind the Scarlets, be that at Squad or Academy level, it could only be good news.

Fingers crossed.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

I knew he was Welsh, didn't realise from Llanelli. Has he been involved much with the club before? Is he a fan?

Ammanford I thought. Sponsored the Academy for years I believe.
Scarlets before Wales
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

Indeed. We obviously have no right or expectation of him to inject ( basically give) the Scarlets a stack of his hard earned cash. He owes the club nothing but I just hope that he will continue to grow his affection for the club by making bigger payments to us going forward. I must say however,that his decision to invest in the Academy is spot on ie constructive targeting to help Llanelli not just throwing it into the big pot. He must get asked for  donations all the time.Now if Doug wants to double or treble his investment in the Academy that’s great for me 👍
This is spot on, and I don't really anticipate this board appointment (if it is Doug) to come with a huge cheque. 
Whether we can persuade Specsavers to become a bigger sponsor is a different matter. 

My guess is that the new appointments (Fizpatrick plus whoever) and the new chair are about targeting higher profile sponsorship at a time when many of our smaller sponsors are under huge pressure to survive. 
We're still still here!
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Doug Perkins went to Llanelli Boys Gram, and was a speaker at their Old Boys Dinner a few years ago, he did play a few games with Llanelli Wanderers, and has a reputation of being careful with his money, apparently it took quite a few years to get him to support the  Academy.

Doesnt he sponsor the pro14 refs?LOL
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 2:37pm
All is left now is for that Adidas kit "we" have all been waiting for......Thumbs Up
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Doesnt he sponsor the pro14 refs?LOL
He used to but, after a few years of trying, the vision hadn’t become any less blinkered or more consistent. Wink
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

From ammanford originally.
Interestingly online hes quoted as from Alban Road Llanelli

From another article he is quoted:-

Doug still visits Carmarthenshire regularly to visit family and to keep in touch with his beloved Scarlets ("and to support the academy, which is the best in Wales").

I think he's definitely one of us Smile

Edited by supertaf - 27 July 2020 at 4:18pm
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

From ammanford originally.
Interestingly online hes quoted as being born in Alban Road Llanelli

From another article he is quoted:-

Doug still visits Carmarthenshire regularly to visit family and to keep in touch with his beloved Scarlets ("and to support the academy, which is the best in Wales").

I think he's definitely one of us Smile

Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 5:50pm
Doug was from Llanelli originally he came to the same Sunday school as me back in the day. His father was a policeman and he was transferred to Ammanford.

Edited by Roger - 27 July 2020 at 5:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic