Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Edinburgh build up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edinburgh build up
    Posted: 25 October 2020 at 7:14am
It's early in the season, but home games (wins!) against other sides in the same conference (with play off aspirations), are vital.

Selection debate seems generally ( but not exclusively) to be around 7-15!

A key consideration from my lens is if Steff Hughes hasn't done enough to maintain his place at centre, then who should be the skipper?

I'm an Asquith fan, there are no extremes about him, just a good rugby head, a low error count, and so it would be interesting to see him and Morgan have a run of games. However this doesn't address the skipper question of course.

I know the love here for Cassiem and there is no getting away from his commitment and effort. His defence stats speak for themselves v Benetton.
I'm a guy who like his 8's primary skill to to be as a line breaking carrier though. Playing Kalifamini in the 2nd row, neuters his carrying ability. Cassiem has been more of a 6 than an 8 to me, not that he's played there much, but might be worth a roll, particularly if Blade is not released.

We have good options at 1,2,3 and 5...4 is a key though. Drake doesn't seem to be coming back from his loan, so Helps for me.

Blacker got some mixed reviews after the weekend, but again we have to invest in players we feel have the talent, so I would go with him, with a consideration that we could get Hardy back unless he is involved in the Scotland game.

I'm ok with either Dan or Angus at 10, and Prydie at 15 has value additions with his experience and kicking off both feet.

The Ospreys took Edinburgh down by playing territory, kicking well on a filthy night. The forwards need to ruck well and be combative at the breakdown to win this.

Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

It's early in the season, but home games (wins!) against other sides in the same conference (with play off aspirations), are vital.

A key consideration from my lens is if Steff Hughes hasn't done enough to maintain his place at centre, then who should be the skipper?

I'm an Asquith fan, there are no extremes about him, just a good rugby head, a low error count, and so it would be interesting to see him and Morgan have a run of games. However this doesn't address the skipper question of course.

I know the love here for Cassiem and there is no getting away from his commitment and effort. His defence stats speak for themselves v Benetton.
I'm a guy who like his 8's primary skill to to be as a line breaking carrier though. Playing Kalifamini in the 2nd row, neuters his carrying ability. Cassiem has been more of a 6 than an 8 to me, not that he's played there much, but might be worth a roll, particularly if Blade is not released.

We have good options at 1,2,3 and 5...4 is a key though. Drake doesn't seem to be coming back from his loan, so Helps for me.

Blacker got some mixed reviews after the weekend, but again we have to invest in players we feel have the talent, so I would go with him, with a consideration that we could get Hardy back unless he is involved in the Scotland game.

I'm ok with either Dan or Angus at 10, and Prydie at 15 has value additions with his experience and kicking off both feet.

The Ospreys took Edinburgh down by playing territory, kicking well on a filthy night. The forwards need to ruck well and be combative at the breakdown to win this.

Interesting summary Wil. I forgot about Helps when assessing our 2nd row options. Selection for Edinburgh will very much depend on release for Tex and Blade. I assume both will be available if Blade is not selected in the 23 for the Wales game. I would start Asquith & Tyler in midfield. As for captaincy there are a number of players I would consider - Casseim, Morgan, Werner or Dan Jones so I would not let the captaincy affect selection. 

I think we will see Prydie step in for Liam. Taylor to start if Marc is not fit, maybe Rob to start with Javan. Tex and Rawlins for me in the 2nd row with Sione back at 8, Blade hopefully at 6 with selection at 7 depending on our gameplan. Tight territory based game - Morgan, fast offloading all court game - Dan Davies. I am not expecting Dan to get a game!!!!!!

I agree with you about Blacker - let him show he has learnt from his mistakes.
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 9:23am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Interesting summary Wil. I forgot about Helps when assessing our 2nd row options. Selection for Edinburgh will very much depend on release for Tex and Blade. I assume both will be available if Blade is not selected in the 23 for the Wales game. I would start Asquith & Tyler in midfield. As for captaincy there are a number of players I would consider - Casseim, Morgan, Werner or Dan Jones so I would not let the captaincy affect selection. 

I think we will see Prydie step in for Liam. Taylor to start if Marc is not fit, maybe Rob to start with Javan. Tex and Rawlins for me in the 2nd row with Sione back at 8, Blade hopefully at 6 with selection at 7 depending on our gameplan. Tight territory based game - Morgan, fast offloading all court game - Dan Davies. I am not expecting Dan to get a game!!!!!!

I agree with you about Blacker - let him show he has learnt from his mistakes.

15. Prydie
14. Rogers
13. Tyler
12. Asquith
11. Steff
10. Angus
9. Homer
8. Kalimifoni
7. Morgan (Capt)
6. Cassiem
5. Blade
4. Ratova
3. Werner
2. Davies
1. Rob

Marc Jones
Phil Price
Jevan
Rawlins
Dan Davis
Blacker
Dinky
Steff

Quick points

Asquith in my opinion is the most under utilised guy in our squad. Makes my matchday 23 even when all are fit.
Homer needs a chance as Blacker was US last time out.
Whilst we are a bit thread bare in the backs, that pack should be a match for any international weekend pack in the Pro14.
ATLEAST THIS TIME WE DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH VAN DER MERWE!!!

157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 9:24am

Selection depends on International release,? If Johnny Williams his not released its Asquith at 12 .
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 9:28am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Selection depends on International release,? If Johnny Williams his not released its Asquith at 12 .

There is half a chance we may have Liam again I would guess as well.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 9:32am
Captaincy considerations why not Steff Evans, scarlet through and through. Winger is a bit awkward but aside from that I cant see why not 
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 9:35am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Captaincy considerations why not Steff Evans, scarlet through and through. Winger is a bit awkward but aside from that I cant see why not 

Ahhh captaincy protocols state absolutely no mullets.....ever, no exceptions. Big smile
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 9:43am
LOL
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Ahhh captaincy protocols state absolutely no mullets.....ever, no exceptions. Big smile
LOLLOL
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 11:07am

Cassiem needs to start every game in this block if fit. Whether that's 6 or 8 depends on other factorss.
Kalamafoni was totally wasted at lock - at least in the sense of his carrying. It has to say the Scrummaging held up well and he was part of that.
Blacker was awful. I'm not saying drop him for a largely untested Homer, but he needs to justify coming on after 1/2 time. 
I think Gus was better at 15, and we won't have Sanjay next week will we?

It seems like Franks is having a decent impact on scrummaging, but our lineout is woeful! What is going on? I mean it's a MUCH simpler art to coach than scrummaging.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 11:22am

Looking at the second half in Italy, Benetton had 73% of possession and 80% of territory. 
Shocking from us!
It's a massive pat on the back to our defence that we held them out.
But going forward, you don't win matches with stats like that.
We need to carry the ball better and retain the ball, or selecting Gus and Asquith is pointless. They'll have no space to play in.
Kalamafoni is our best carrier. He only carried 4 times against Benetton. He needs to play at 8.
Ratuva only carried the ball once. That's a poor contribution.
It all starts up front. If we can't hold the ball over multiple phases and tie in defences, we can't then attack out wide.

multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 11:52am
As has been said previously a lot will come down to player release. Given the fact that Liam played the customary 65 minutes to prove fitness I see him being whisked away to team wales this week. 

I’ve never seen the benefit of players staying with wales and losing potential game time but it’s a fact of the season now. Jonny Williams really needs to play as does Hardy or they will just get rusty.

Hopefully we can field:

Prydie
Steff
Morgan
Jonny
Rogers
O’Brien
Hardy
Sione
Blade
Jac
Rawlins
Tex
Sebastian
Taylor
Rob
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 12:23pm
Wales play Saturday, Us Sunday, so we may have a couple released, maybe Hardy, maybe Johnny Williams. What about Ball? Wales have almost 2 weeks before their next fixture after Scotland? 

Asquith and Morgan centre for me, Prydie 15 if no Liam. Cassiem 6 and Sione 8. 

Jac Morgan captain or to soon?
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 12:31pm

Jake also seems down the pecking order, with Rowlands very likely to be in 23 for the  Scotland game. 
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 12:42pm
If I was Asquith I'd be looking to move on if I wasn't getting a start when both the 1st team centres are away. He's clearly the best footballing centre we have outside of Foxy/Johnny. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 12:43pm
As people have said, some positions may well depend on who gets released by Wales.

I'd be tempted to give Asquith a start with Steff Hughes on the bench - in that case, Dan Jones could captain from 10, with O'Brien at 15 - that should ensure a good kicking game. 

Blacker needs to be a lot better than last time - and he has been in the past. If he isn't, the coaches should not be reluctant to use Homer either off the bench, or as a starter. 

Kalimafoni needs to be at 8, as his abilities (apart from sheer bulk) are wasted in the second row. Cassiem should get a shot at 6.

Whoever gets picked, we all hope for a much better performance than last week!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 12:45pm
Kruger has captained before once. I think maybe the fact we are struggling to think of another leader to take the armband says a lot about why we are struggling so much possibly. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic