Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Edinburgh v Scarlets match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 5:26pm
Disappointing result, but I can't be too critical considering the players missing. I agree that we are not as strong a team as last year and can't see us getting a lot out of Europe. Problem areas for me (in a full strength team ) are lack of depth and real quality at half back (Patch & GD are good but not consistently top class) and effective carriers in the back 5, nobody there is going to give other teams nightmares. The new coach must try to address these if we are to be consistently successful like Leinster/Saracens etc.
What's going on?
Sponsored Links

BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 6:04pm
Welsh rugby seems to be full of good openside and blindside flankers, but lacking in big ball carriers at 8 or locks
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 6:14pm
[QUOTE=BlackwoodScarlet]Welsh rugby seems to be full of good openside and blindside flankers, but lacking in big ball carriers at 8 or locks

And this was obvious from today's international. Faletau's athleticism makes up for his relatively small size and to a lesser extent, so does Moriarty but can't really see where the next carrying second row is coming from. 
What would we now give for a couple of young Quinnells?
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 6:50pm
Faletau is a good size 8 at 17st5 , Moriarty stats have him at 16st3,
townboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I missed Pivac's comments too and only came to know of them through an earlier post. I'm not sure if he did mention the half-backs by name or whether he just spoke of overall lack of control. However so many decisions come from them that it's difficult to absolve them from blame.
Pivac spoke about the disappoinment of 14 points given away,one from Fonatia's kick to touch and a try they scored where he thought the ball had gone forward off an Edinburgh hand,he did also say about poor basic skills (balls dropped from the air)..
SHC did kick poorly all night,their first score comes from a half charge down from his clearance..reguarding Dan he didn't kick at all in open play as all kicks came off 9 last night..so maybe he might be upset we didn't change our tactics..Upstairs after the game he was disappointed that we didn't get enough go forward from our pack,also with some of the decisions from the ref,(eg lineout calls,Gardiners yellow and the break down,thought they were entering from the side)...
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 7:33pm
I know your Dan’s fathers’ colleague, personally I thought Dan did ok, had a solid defence all game, a lovely grubber for Asquith’s try, and apart from missing a regulation penalty early on, kicked ok. Pretty sure he actually did kick one out on the full.
But the game was lost up front really.
We couldn’t cope with the likes of Mata, had little turnover success, and no carriers of our own.

Surprised Ross Ford was able to run down Fonotia after his excellent outside break, fair play.
spinner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 7:52pm
Dan's father, Stef's father, the other Stef's father, Scott's father and mother, Rhys P's mother, my boy and Tom's father. Very difficult innit?
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2018 at 11:54am
Originally posted by townboy townboy wrote:

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I missed Pivac's comments too and only came to know of them through an earlier post. I'm not sure if he did mention the half-backs by name or whether he just spoke of overall lack of control. However so many decisions come from them that it's difficult to absolve them from blame.
Pivac spoke about the disappoinment of 14 points given away,one from Fonatia's kick to touch and a try they scored where he thought the ball had gone forward off an Edinburgh hand,he did also say about poor basic skills (balls dropped from the air)..
SHC did kick poorly all night,their first score comes from a half charge down from his clearance..reguarding Dan he didn't kick at all in open play as all kicks came off 9 last night..so maybe he might be upset we didn't change our tactics..Upstairs after the game he was disappointed that we didn't get enough go forward from our pack,also with some of the decisions from the ref,(eg lineout calls,Gardiners yellow and the break down,thought they were entering from the side)...

He did ok. Although he did well against racing when he came on second half and should have started such a big match in front of AOB, his performance levels have just been average at best this year. He never takes control of match, take it by the scruff of the neck, and goes out to win it.
On 62 mins against Edinburgh just after the fonita break, 1 phase later and one of the very few times during the game he takes on the defence and gets the ball ripped out of his hands with 4 players outside of him inculding macleod, fonitia and mchnicol. He doesn't challenge defences at all with his style of attack, he takes the ball almost stationary and passes the ball on straight away. Defences just drift on him every time. His clearance kick on 67 minutes is a poor one, goes straight down their wingers throat on their 10 meter line whilst there was loads of space on the touch line to drill it to touch.
The drop in quality of the whole teams attack when patchell doesn't play is huge.

I think pyrgos and hickies management of what was quite a cagey, tactical and territorial game was far superior to what our half backs served up.

Biggest turning point in the game for me was fonitia kicking the ball out on the full when on the attack at 52 mins. We were 17-21 up at this point and was a key moment in the game as they went straight back up the field got a pen, lineout and scored.

Edited by Matthew Cardey - 04 November 2018 at 11:55am
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2018 at 4:59pm
Just watched the game for the first time. Edinburgh were well worth their win.

Interesting listening to John Barclay say that the Scarlets hadn't changed their systems since the arrival of Stevo as coach a few seasons ago and as a result Edinburgh would know exactly what to expect.  I guess JB had some inside info to pass on as well. I have no idea how much of a help this would be to Edinburgh but something to think about there for sure.

Everything that needs to be said has already been said in the thread but my overarching thought is that we don't seem to be playing as fluidly as in previous seasons; we seem to be more a collection of talented  individuals where the sum is not greater than the parts as in previous seasons.  Understandably given the disruption due to injuries and international callups.

I saw nothing wrong that couldn't be fixed on the training ground.  Hope so anyway. Smile

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 04 November 2018 at 5:00pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2018 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Just watched the game for the first time. Edinburgh were well worth their win.

Interesting listening to John Barclay say that the Scarlets hadn't changed their systems since the arrival of Stevo as coach a few seasons ago and as a result Edinburgh would know exactly what to expect.  I guess JB had some inside info to pass on as well. I have no idea how much of a help this would be to Edinburgh but something to think about there for sure.

Everything that needs to be said has already been said in the thread but my overarching thought is that we don't seem to be playing as fluidly as in previous seasons; we seem to be more a collection of talented  individuals where the sum is not greater than the parts as in previous seasons.  Understandably given the disruption due to injuries and international callups.

I saw nothing wrong that couldn't be fixed on the training ground.  Hope so anyway. Smile
didn't lyn jones say that about us a few years ago?
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2018 at 8:18pm
When was that Nige?
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2018 at 6:51am

When was that Nige?
when he was dragons coach and scrum v cameras followed him the week before it was in the team meeting and along the lines of "all we are going to do was kick the ball away all day"
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2018 at 7:31am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

When was that Nige?
when he was dragons coach and scrum v cameras followed him the week before it was in the team meeting and along the lines of "all we are going to do was kick the ball away all day"
I missed that one. Smile

But I do remember Lyn being interviewed after a big defeat for Neath when asked what he would do about it he sang 'climb every mountain' from 'The sound of Music'. LOL

Munster said the same when we played them in the final - they said they knew what was coming but couldn't stop it.  I think our system is unbeatable when it's in full flow, maybe just need the guys to click.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2018 at 10:52am

When was that Nige?

I missed that one. Smile

But I do remember Lyn being interviewed after a big defeat for Neath when asked what he would do about it he sang 'climb every mountain' from 'The sound of Music'. LOL

Munster said the same when we played them in the final - they said they knew what was coming but couldn't stop it.  I think our system is unbeatable when it's in full flow, maybe just need the guys to click.
Agreed, on the proviso that we get enough ball to click with.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2018 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

When was that Nige?

I missed that one. Smile

This pack of forwards is currently nowhere near as effective as the pack which beat Leinster & Munster so comprehensively. Our full backs lineup is probably still capable of playing that type of game but you can only do that with quick possession either from gainline superiority or turnover ball. We have neither at the moment so we have to rebuild. We are missing the all round quality of Beirne & Barclay up front & Scott behind. Am I the only one who thinks that Parkes is a shadow of the player he was last season. His performance against Scotland was another 4/5 from 10 which is where he has been all season. If Scott was fit he would be a certainty for the Australia game. 

I understand that we have two very important players to come back in - Aaron & Cubby & that will make us more competitive. However our best available pack of Rob, Ken, Samson, Jake, Cummins, Aaron, Cubby & Blade are still not a match for the Leinster 8. 
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2018 at 11:46am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

When was that Nige?

I missed that one. Smile

This pack of forwards is currently nowhere near as effective as the pack which beat Leinster & Munster so comprehensively. Our full backs lineup is probably still capable of playing that type of game but you can only do that with quick possession either from gainline superiority or turnover ball. We have neither at the moment so we have to rebuild. We are missing the all round quality of Beirne & Barclay up front & Scott behind. Am I the only one who thinks that Parkes is a shadow of the player he was last season. His performance against Scotland was another 4/5 from 10 which is where he has been all season. If Scott was fit he would be a certainty for the Australia game. 

I understand that we have two very important players to come back in - Aaron & Cubby & that will make us more competitive. However our best available pack of Rob, Ken, Samson, Jake, Cummins, Aaron, Cubby & Blade are still not a match for the Leinster 8. 

Totally agree. Our pack is not a match for Leinster or dare I say it most of the Guinness premiership teams. Our Achilles heel is big ball carriers both in defence and attack.
The new coach whoever he may be has to completely overhaul our pack.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic