Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

End of Season Suprise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2019 at 9:46am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

As we are releasing Boyde the coaches clearly think that we are not short of 7s and with the presence of Cubby,  Davis and MacLeod it is difficult to argue against this. If there are no more leavers, then the obvious positions that need reinforcing are carrying second rows/8 and 10, and none of these positions will be easy to fill with experienced players at reasonable cost especially if we decide to splash out on a superfluous and expensive Thomas Young.

At last some sense on Thomas Young. Dare I speak for you but I am sure we both rate Thomas very highly but surely that is not the point. The relevant point from a Scarlets perspective is, as you have stated, to identify where we need strengthening the most. Surely this is in the front 5 & a carrying 8 to avoid us being continually bullied by the likes of Benetton, Edinburgh, Ulster & Leinster. 

Yes, I think Thomas Young is a very good player, but 7 is a position where Wales has no shortage of very good players and mostly already playing in Wales. This is probably due to our national characteristics of being mainly short, tenacious and quick of thought and deed. As you say we are in need of bigger carriers and forwards with the mobility and fitness to arrive quickly at the breakdown and help win quick ball by clearing out those trying to steal or slow down our ball. Then all we need is to persuade Cawdor to shift it out immediately to give our talented backs the best chance of showing
their class!!!
Sponsored Links

Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2019 at 11:26am

As we are releasing Boyde the coaches clearly think that we are not short of 7s and with the presence of Cubby,  Davis and MacLeod it is difficult to argue against this. If there are no more leavers, then the obvious positions that need reinforcing are carrying second rows/8 and 10, and none of these positions will be easy to fill with experienced players at reasonable cost especially if we decide to splash out on a superfluous and expensive Thomas Young.

At last some sense on Thomas Young. Dare I speak for you but I am sure we both rate Thomas very highly but surely that is not the point. The relevant point from a Scarlets perspective is, as you have stated, to identify where we need strengthening the most. Surely this is in the front 5 & a carrying 8 to avoid us being continually bullied by the likes of Benetton, Edinburgh, Ulster & Leinster. 

I’m sorry if I wasn’t talking sense but bearing in mind the injuries to our back row players this year having someone like Young in squad would have been very useful. Going forward he would be a great and needed addition to squad as back row players seem to be injured more than most which is not surprising the way they throw themselves about. A second row of Lousi, Ball with Cummins on the bench should not be bullied as well as a fit Blade playing 8. The obsession with a a huge ball carrying 8 on here is fine but will that fit in with game plan of new coach. We will have to wait and see I guess.

Edited by Why - 18 April 2019 at 11:27am
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2019 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I’m sorry if I wasn’t talking sense but bearing in mind the injuries to our back row players this year having someone like Young in squad would have been very useful. Going forward he would be a great and needed addition to squad as back row players seem to be injured more than most which is not surprising the way they throw themselves about. A second row of Lousi, Ball with Cummins on the bench should not be bullied as well as a fit Blade playing 8. The obsession with a a huge ball carrying 8 on here is fine but will that fit in with game plan of new coach. We will have to wait and see I guess.

I certainly wasn't directing my comment specifically to you Why - it was meant to be a general comment. I think we all agree that Young is a fine footballer but we have a limited budget. A 2nd row stock of Louisi, Ball, Cummins, Helps & Rawlins is not good enough in my opinion. We need another 2nd row. With regard to our obsession with a carrying 8 - he doesn't need to be huge - a player in the mould of Quinnell, Morgan or Lyons would fit the bill. Ball & Cummins, lets not forget have been part of our packs this season which have been seriously bullied. Going into games with Boyde playing No 8 aganist Coetzee, Nick Williams or Cronin is rugby suicide.

Blade is a fine player but I worry about his future with regard to head injuries . He is the best no 8 option we have at the moment & I would settle for Aaron, Cubby & Blade playing the majority of games. However the only investment I would consider making in the back row is at 8 if the player became available. 
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2019 at 12:39pm
agree with you GPR, another 2nd row and a ball carrying 8 and pack is sorted.
backs wise a back 3 player someone maybe with size and power or an out and out flyer. And maybe a player who can play 10/12.

Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2019 at 2:12pm

I certainly wasn't directing my comment specifically to you Why - it was meant to be a general comment. I think we all agree that Young is a fine footballer but we have a limited budget. A 2nd row stock of Louisi, Ball, Cummins, Helps & Rawlins is not good enough in my opinion. We need another 2nd row. With regard to our obsession with a carrying 8 - he doesn't need to be huge - a player in the mould of Quinnell, Morgan or Lyons would fit the bill. Ball & Cummins, lets not forget have been part of our packs this season which have been seriously bullied. Going into games with Boyde playing No 8 aganist Coetzee, Nick Williams or Cronin is rugby suicide.

Blade is a fine player but I worry about his future with regard to head injuries . He is the best no 8 option we have at the moment & I would settle for Aaron, Cubby & Blade playing the majority of games. However the only investment I would consider making in the back row is at 8 if the player became available. 

If you don't think the Mighty Quinn, or Big Ben Morgan are huge, then your definition of huge is clearly different to mine!LOLLOLLOL

Some of Scott's highlights - really wanted the clip when he flattened Dallaglio for Scarlets v wasps, but couldn't find that:

I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2019 at 8:49am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

If you don't think the Mighty Quinn, or Big Ben Morgan are huge, then your definition of huge is clearly different to mine!LOLLOLLOL

Some of Scott's highlights - really wanted the clip when he flattened Dallaglio for Scarlets v wasps, but couldn't find that:

Yes my comment was a bit tongue in cheek. Scott, for me, was & is the perfect build for a No 8. He wasn't though just a bruiser he had good hands and a great rugby brain. My point is that we don't have to limit our expansive game plan to have a hard carrying 8. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2019 at 9:17am
David Lyons and then Ben Morgan were great signings for us in the modern running 8 mould I see Scott as a different generation to them. We have had no one since then who has fitted that role. Barclays got by on his talent overall but he was obviously not the classic 8
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2019 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

So have heard about this big surprise  at the end of the season anyone know anything 

Give me the news that all of our currently injured players, and new recruits, are all going to be fully fit and raring to go come the start of the 2019/20 season, and that'll be a good enough end of season surprise for me StarStarStarClapClapClap
Guinness Pro 12 Champions 2017...get in!
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 11:04pm
Alan Clarke has stated that he doesn’t expect AWJ to be an Ospreys player next season. He is very “big” and it would be a “surprise” if he turned up at another region (who play in scarlet).
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Alan Clarke has stated that he doesn’t expect AWJ to be an Ospreys player next season. He is very “big” and it would be a “surprise” if he turned up at another region (who play in scarlet).
No Allen Clarke said he expects AWJ to be an Osprey next season
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 7:49am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

It’s got all the hallmarks of a classic foundation stones of a defensive PR campaign in case AWJ is off and away.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
Grammar School Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grammar School Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

It’s got all the hallmarks of a classic foundation stones of a defensive PR campaign in case AWJ is off and away.

His new house is nearly completed in Langland. It's about as big as he is..
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Grammar School Boy Grammar School Boy wrote:

And very nice it is . Just up the hill from his mother in Rotherslade. Can’t see him leaving especially with the new signings.
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

And very nice it is . Just up the hill from his mother in Rotherslade. Can’t see him leaving especially with the new signings.
Not as simple as that and out of his hands
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 3:43pm
I guess WP will surprise us with an away win to go win Zebre???WinkWinkWinkWink

A bit of a collectors piece this term sadly.CryCry
Page the oracle
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 4:36pm

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Not as simple as that and out of his hands
Mind you I don’t care what he does . He’s earned the moral right to go where he wants really after his service to club and country
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic