Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

english championship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2020 at 9:42am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

The championship sides are considering ring fencing their league and setting wage caps

How can they do that? Isn't the Championship owned by the RFU ?

They are talking about breaking away from the English Rugby Union as they don’t trust them.
Sponsored Links

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2020 at 4:13pm

The championship sides are considering ring fencing their league and setting wage caps

They are talking about breaking away from the English Rugby Union as they don’t trust them.

You can't play in competitions if you don't belong to a Union.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2020 at 9:16pm

I was just quoting some of the options they are considering (acc to the broadsheets.  They will have their legal teams on the case, so they will know what legally possibly or not possibly.
Remember Swansea RFC and Cardiff RFC did something similar in the past, breaking ranks from the WRU, although I’m not to sure about the legal side of things back then.

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2020 at 6:07am

I was just quoting some of the options they are considering (acc to the broadsheets.  They will have their legal teams on the case, so they will know what legally possibly or not possibly.
Remember Swansea RFC and Cardiff RFC did something similar in the past, breaking ranks from the WRU, although I’m not to sure about the legal side of things back then.

they were all friendlies but they were allowed to enter and Swansea beat us in the "men against boys" final.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2020 at 2:22pm

I have no idea about the legal position in English rugby, but this seems a bit like what happened in football, with the first division sides breaking away to form the Premier League. If the top English clubs and the union have no interest in supporting the game below that level, then presumably there would be  nothing to prevent the 'other' clubs forming their own organisation, especially if the RU were in breach of contract.

In football, the Premier League and the Football League ( the rest of English football) are two separate organisations, as I understand it.

This is the key:

"The fundamental difference between the old Football League and the breakaway league (what became the Premier League) is that the money in the breakaway league would only be divided between the clubs active in that division whilst in the previous arrangement it was shared between all Football League clubs across all divisions. "

I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic