Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Euro play-off thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 10:16am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I’m delighted to have another chance. I’m apprehensive of getting ( another ) reminder, this time from our nearest and bitterest rivals, of how mediocre our season has been.

Waiting for the time and venue to plan a home trip for the game.

Putting all our disappointment aside, we have been given a lifeline to maintain our proud record of always being in the top tier of European rugby.

Do we deserve it?
No, we finished 9th, and in and previous season we’d be out.

Do I care about whether we deserve it?
Nah, not really. We can beat anyone on our day.

Will we finished joint 8th not ninth. Your not comparing like with like when you join up the two conferences. We played the teams in conference A just once whereas the Blues who had more points than us , played the other A's home and away.

How did you get to joint 8th?
If we ignore the other conference and looked at just our conference results we’d still be 4th. I’m not sure of the point, sorry If I’m missing something.
This is our worst season in a decade.
Sponsored Links

Rubrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 10:28am
I don't think it's been our worst season in a decade, despite what Wil Chips thinks.
It has not been glorious, but there have been worse and we have still come through in the end.
One last huge effort in the Pro14 and we will be through.
I'm confident.  I think...
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rubrum
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 10:44am

Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

I’m delighted to have another chance. I’m apprehensive of getting ( another ) reminder, this time from our nearest and bitterest rivals, of how mediocre our season has been.

Waiting for the time and venue to plan a home trip for the game.

Putting all our disappointment aside, we have been given a lifeline to maintain our proud record of always being in the top tier of European rugby.

Do we deserve it?
No, we finished 9th, and in and previous season we’d be out.

Do I care about whether we deserve it?
Nah, not really. We can beat anyone on our day.

Will we finished joint 8th not ninth. Your not comparing like with like when you join up the two conferences. We played the teams in conference A just once whereas the Blues who had more points than us , played the other A's home and away.

How did you get to joint 8th?
If we ignore the other conference and looked at just our conference results we’d still be 4th. I’m not sure of the point, sorry If I’m missing something.
This is our worst season in a decade.

It most definitely is 9th and yes its our worst season for a hell of a long time. Brad Mooar sounds like a very measured, thoughtful guy who, I am sure, will be getting his head around the many issues which have affected our season. It is wrong of us to simply put our poor performances down to our injury list. Top of the list of our shortcomings must be our lineout which whether in attack or defence has been woeful. Secondly our forward pack have a soft underbelly & we are prone to being overpowered. A returning Jake & Aaron will help these issues but we need far more. 

Thirdly, in my opinion, our on field leadership has been badly affected by the loss of Barclay & Scott. Foxy is meant to be a senior player but I don't rate his powers of leadership or motivation. Finally our defensive systems, Munster at home apart, are not good enough. Teams don't seem to have to work through many phases to score. So Mr Mooar has a hell of a job on his hands & he needs to select his management team very carefully. If it isn't too late we should be looking at McBryde for the forward role. Personally i would love to see a role being found for Ben Ryan who is a forward thinking guy with excellent connections to South Sea Islands players. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Rubrum Rubrum wrote:

I don't think it's been our worst season in a decade, despite what Wil Chips thinks.
It has not been glorious, but there have been worse and we have still come through in the end.
One last huge effort in the Pro14 and we will be through.
I'm confident.  I think...
when was the last time we only won away once?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 10:58am
It has to be our worst season for many years for goodness sake. Lets not forget that a combination of Leinster 2nds/3rds put 50 points past the Dragons.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 11:02am
I didn’t want to make it a throw away comment, 11/27 is our worst return in a decade.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 11:20am
We really need some alternatives to our now ineffectual plan of laboriously shifting slow ball out wide. Everybody knows what we are doing and are up very quickly to tackle -or even worse intercept. Sure from turnovers or the increasingly rare quick ball it's the way to go, but let's not do it mechanically especially when the opposition rush-defence itself leaves space behind them for us to exploit if our inside backs are sharp enough to react with chips or grubber kicks. Do this occasionally early on and the rush defence will hesitate before throwing themselves forward We also need everyone committed  to helping our ball carriers at the breakdown by clearing out opposition players who are trying to slow down or steal our ball.  
And if we do get a half decent lead, as we have thrown away too often recently, then let's consolidate by kicking for position and put the onus on the opposition to take risks getting out of their own half. We don't seem to know how to put pressure and demoralise opponents who are trailing.
Of course I would prefer a totally expansive game where we run in tries from every bit of possession but we play in the real world and opponents analyse us and do their utmost to stop this happening.
It has now reached the stage where the Dragons, Edinburgh and others can do this successfully and we need a rethink which hopefully Mooar can provide.
sreve19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sreve19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 11:28am
Has a date been set for this game yet ?
wetweatherwinger View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetweatherwinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 11:34am
The prospect of a Welsh derby and a big crowd will surely bring the best out of your big players. I think we’ll have the edge in some areas but I can see it being a close and nervy encounter.
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 12:02pm
Is there any chance of Jake Ball returning in time for this one? That would be a huge boost to our chances.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Is there any chance of Jake Ball returning in time for this one? That would be a huge boost to our chances.
Yes it's likely
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
NeylandAllBlack View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeylandAllBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

Exactly. I dont agree with all this we done deserve it rubbish. We finished 4th and qualified as Edinburgh were worse than us. They lost to the kings away for starters! I dont care how we got there but we are there. Let's show how much being in the Heineken Cup means to this region. Let's get behind the boys in numbers and get guaranteed qualification for the top tier of Europe. Toulon and La Rochelle occasions will only happen if we get the Heineken cup

We support them through thick and thin. We still don't deserve to be in the Champions Cup. If we get there then good on us. Based on this seasons performances we deserve to be in the Challenge Cup.

We haven't put in a full 80 minute performance all season. Not sure why any of us would believe we would put one in now. We had to win yesterday, and we blew it. We have another chance by a massive piece of luck.
NeylandAllBlack View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NeylandAllBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by wetweatherwinger wetweatherwinger wrote:

The prospect of a Welsh derby and a big crowd will surely bring the best out of your big players. I think we’ll have the edge in some areas but I can see it being a close and nervy encounter.

The prospect of a Welsh derby and a big crowd didn't work out too well for us yesterday.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 12:55pm
I couldnt think of a worse game to play next, this team is getting worse the more it plays. Its lack of ideas and concentration levels in defence are pathetic. Ospreys will hammer us. I cant watch.

Cassiem alone will gift them 12 points. He is so indecisive and a penalty machine. For every thing good he does he costs us by doing 4 or 5 things terrible. 

Halfpenny has hit some absolutely shocking form. All our moves are predictable and pedestrian.

We deserve mickey mouse cup. On our form. We should be beating that dragons side with our academy out on the pitch.
aristocrat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aristocrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 1:36pm
Don't often post or reply but I feel I must vent my spleen. Has anybody watched the Crusaders or any Southern Hemisphere Rugby this season. The speed of recycling the ball from rucks, mauls and set piece is frighteningly quick. Moare will bring this intensity with him, half of this Scarlets team will be History after he has bedded in, for one Cawdor will be gone he is to slow around the rucks and mauls to slow in getting the ball away.There in lies much of the problem, hardy will be the number 1 scrum half next season as he fits Brad Moare's criteria. Have just seen the report on Hidalgo-Clyne for Harlequins at Exeter, got * for his performance, cutting Exeter to pieces their huge pack struggled and Baxter was furious. We now have a chance at The Liberty let's not blow it again.
Yours Aye The Aristocrat of Rugby
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by aristocrat aristocrat wrote:

Don't often post or reply but I feel I must vent my spleen. Has anybody watched the Crusaders or any Southern Hemisphere Rugby this season. The speed of recycling the ball from rucks, mauls and set piece is frighteningly quick. Moare will bring this intensity with him, half of this Scarlets team will be History after he has bedded in, for one Cawdor will be gone he is to slow around the rucks and mauls to slow in getting the ball away.There in lies much of the problem, hardy will be the number 1 scrum half next season as he fits Brad Moare's criteria. Have just seen the report on Hidalgo-Clyne for Harlequins at Exeter, got * for his performance, cutting Exeter to pieces their huge pack struggled and Baxter was furious. We now have a chance at The Liberty let's not blow it again.

Don't need to look to New Zealand, watch the speed of clear out and recycling demonstrated by Glasgow against a physical Edinburgh last night. I watched in total envy.
Keep the faith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic