Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Famous commentaries.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Famous commentaries.
    Posted: 07 June 2017 at 3:11pm
In Sport over the years we've been fortunate to listen to some wonderful commentators whose special descriptions have encapsulated the thrill of the occasion. The words of Cliff Morgan commentating on the Gareth Edwards try. " A dramatic start what a score " oh that fellow Edwards.. Do you remember Bill McLaren when he commentates on Bennys try in Scotland after Gerald Davies starts it off in the Welsh 22. " Oh this is going to be the try of the championship.    This leads me on to the commentary of Gareth Charles when Steff scores in the final in Dublin. " To me to you to you to me to you yo me" describes the final passing between Steff and Foxy before Steff scores. I feel those words will become become as immortal as some of the above.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

In Sport over the years we've been fortunate to listen to some wonderful commentators whose special descriptions have encapsulated the thrill of the occasion. The words of Cliff Morgan commentating on the Gareth Edwards try. " A dramatic start what a score " oh that fellow Edwards.. Do you remember Bill McLaren when he commentates on Bennys try in Scotland after Gerald Davies starts it off in the Welsh 22. " Oh this is going to be the try of the championship.    This leads me on to the commentary of Gareth Charles when Steff scores in the final in Dublin. " To me to you to you to me to you yo me" describes the final passing between Steff and Foxy before Steff scores. I feel those words will become become as immortal as some of the above.

I suppose you realise that this is the catchphrase of the immortal Chuckle Brothers?Wink

One of my favourite commentaries came on the radio in the 1960s, when Wales played France... posh Welshman JV Wynne-Jones ('Jeevers') describing the action, as France attacked... it went something like this:

"Boniface to Boniface to....

RUN ON, WATKINS! RUN ON, WATKINS! RUN ON, WATKINS! HE'S SCOOOOOOOOOOOORED!"

Now as you may guess - but no more than that - Newport wing Stuart Watkins intercepted a pass from one of the Boniface brothers towards the French wing, and ran half the length of the pitch to SCOOOOOOORE! 

No rubbish about unbiased commentary back in thise days!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 3:39pm
the mare's beginning to get up.dawn run winning the Cheltenham gold cup-peter o'sullivan
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 3:43pm
"Can he get there? It would be a miracle if he could. And he has!"
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 3:49pm
Yes I realise the connection of the words,but when I listened to it at the time and thereafter it really encapsulated the moment and the whole ethos of the rugby we've played.   Many will.know that I'm a rugby romantic at heart and it's demoralised me in recent years that rugby has seen an over emphasise on Braun and power. The victory in Dublin was very pleasing, but what was most pleasing was that the manner of the rugby we played and that it can be wining rugby. That's what lifted my spirit more than anything. That try really summed everything for me and Gave me immense satisfaction. It's not all about me me me in rugby but the fellows around us.

West is Best (Fin gwybod)
welshbenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welshbenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 4:49pm
Ok name the commentator and try scorer of the following:-

1) 'Merlin the magician couldn't have done it any better'

2) 'Well if that isn't glorious nothing is'

knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 5:33pm
There goes Jaunarena - opening his legs and showing his class.Embarrassed

In believe that was the late great David Coleman on the Cuban runner.
Page the oracle
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 5:45pm
"The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey"
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by welshbenny welshbenny wrote:

Ok name the commentator and try scorer of the following:-

1) 'Merlin the magician couldn't have done it any better'

2) 'Well if that isn't glorious nothing is'

bill McLaren 1988
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 6:20pm
Sky sports on the last play in the final:

"falls for you know who......... James Davies........... go on.......... score it........... you deserve it......... absolutely deserve it.........and so do the Scarlets......"

It was utterly on the money at the time and still is this evening
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 8:49pm
Stand up at home, if you are watching this on television, because that was one of the greatest Heineken Cup tries ......
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 9:15pm
"They've done it again, is there nothing they can't do?" - Miles Harrison on Steff's try in the final.
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 10:54am
"This is the start of something f*%#ING monumental !"

Me .. Final whistle , Aviva Stadium Dublin 2017 !
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 12:05pm
"Magnifique rugby!" - French commentator on Canal+ at the FT whistle of TOU 34-41 SCA
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

"The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey"

Unfortunately BJ never said it - at least not live on air - much as he'd have loved to.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 12:39pm
I think he did and everyone burst out laughing for around 5 mins.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic