Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fonotia risks Samoa World Cup dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fonotia risks Samoa World Cup dream
    Posted: 17 July 2018 at 8:58am
New Scarlets centre Kieron Fonotia is hoping his decision not to play for Samoa this summer will not cost him his World Cup dream. Samoa beat Germany in a play-off to qualify for the 2019 tournament, where they will play hosts Japan, Ireland, Scotland and Russia in Pool A.

Fonotia decided to stay in Wales rather than travel for the two-legged tie.

"It has always been a goal of mine to play in the World Cup," said the 30-year-old, who has won seven Samoa caps.

He opted out of the qualification matches to ensure he had a full pre-season with Scarlets following his move from Ospreys. Without him, Samoa won 66-15 and 42-28 to record a 108-43 aggregate victory over Germany.

"I tried to make a smart decision for my career, to hit the ground running this season," said Fonotia.

"Personally I have not had a pre-season for a while and thought it would be quite nice to freshen up, and come back into a new team at the same time as everyone else.

"I told the coaches that very thing. It was a hard decision not to play for Samoa in the break because it is a team I haven't played a lot of games for.

"I have to get back in there and try and make the team now.

"There will be plenty of people coming out of the woodwork when it comes to the World Cup. It has been a goal of mine for a while now and it would be awesome to be a part of."

Full article here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44851458

Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 9:11am
Of our new signings this is one I am looking forward to seeing. He accepts that his time with the Ospreys wasn't the best and feels that he was shackled a little within their structures. Many Super Rugby watchers on this forum speak very highly of him a couple of years ago so we may be in for a treat. He certainly won't feel any shackles at PYS.

I am allowing myself a little dream and hope that Fonotia becomes as good as Scott and that around Xmas Ed Kennedy emerges as another Tadhg. Nothing wrong with dreaming!!!!Tongue

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 11:10am
he is a big guy. Saw him yesterday with his mate Jonny Mc and looked twice his size certainly top half! Looking forward to seeing how he gets on
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 11:38am
I will admit I didn't see all that much of the Ospreys last year but I am very excited to see how he develops under Pivac this season.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Of our new signings this is one I am looking forward to seeing. He accepts that his time with the Ospreys wasn't the best and feels that he was shackled a little within their structures. Many Super Rugby watchers on this forum speak very highly of him a couple of years ago so we may be in for a treat. He certainly won't feel any shackles at PYS.

I am allowing myself a little dream and hope that Fonotia becomes as good as Scott and that around Xmas Ed Kennedy emerges as another Tadhg. Nothing wrong with dreaming!!!!Tongue

Fonotia being nearly s good as Scott may be possible, the other LOL. But why not dream.

I actually think he has increased his chances of playing for Samoa. A good pre-season to get him into tip top form and his country will come knocking.

As an aside, I can name several former Scarlets who played for Tonga and Fiji, but who have we had that played for Samoa (if any)?

Scarlets before Wales
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Fonotia being nearly s good as Scott may be possible, the other LOL. But why not dream.

I actually think he has increased his chances of playing for Samoa. A good pre-season to get him into tip top form and his country will come knocking.

As an aside, I can name several former Scarlets who played for Tonga and Fiji, but who have we had that played for Samoa (if any)?

Wasn't Mahonri Schwalger Samoan?
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Yes
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 2:01pm
I don't think Fonotia is better than Scott. Scott is a terrific player and is one of the best game breakers around. I do however think Kieron is a very good player and will go well with us. 

When he was with the Crusaders he was a real quality performer and a key man for them. Fonotia at his best is a smart footballer with lovely handling skills and a lot of vision.

He doesn't have Scott's pace but he does tend to burst through tackles while he is also very physical with a good offloading game. I'm also told that the Scarlets defensive system will suit him better.

As gutted as I am to lose Scott I think Fonotia will prove to be a very good acquisition.

Edited by scarletnut - 17 July 2018 at 2:01pm
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 3:05pm
I'm sure Fonotia will thrive in the environment - interesting that he's turned down Samoan caps in order to focus on a proper pre-season with Scarlets - but if there's one thing I'm not looking forward to next season, it's seeing Scott in anything other than a red shirt. Disapprove

Twitterer @ebenezer68
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Yes

Oh ok, thought he was Tongan. Thanks.
Scarlets before Wales
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 5:09pm
I am still gutted about Scott leaving.

But our centre options - Foxy, Parkes, Asquith, Fonotia, Steff, Nicholas, must be one of the deepest in the Pro14.
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 4:35pm
He must realise that he has a lot to prove and is looking for a good pre-season.  His time with the Ospreys was totally anonymous and if he doesn't show up well early in the season he'll end up well down the pecking order.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

He must realise that he has a lot to prove and is looking for a good pre-season.  His time with the Ospreys was totally anonymous and if he doesn't show up well early in the season he'll end up well down the pecking order.
I think that’s a bit harsh he was actually one of their better players last season
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I think that’s a bit harsh he was actually one of their better players last season
His offloading was some of the best in the league but he was hailed as their saving grace at centre, but he wasn’t. There is no pressure for him here, Hadleigh has already grilled him saying he’ll be holding the tackle bags all year. Him with Asquith is a very dynamic centre partnership in the making.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 1:02am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

The two comments are actually compatible. If you played in an Os team last year, anonymous is actually doing pretty well, as opposed to rank useless that most of them acheived. Oh, how I do enjoy having a pop at them. LOL. 
Scarlets before Wales
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 12:31pm
He has had a few moments of brilliance with the Os, but these have been rare due to the Os non existent game plan.  I fully expect him to flourish with us - no pressure mind. 
That's the Scarlets, its in their DNA.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic