Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > ORDERED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saddam - King of the Swingers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Of course there is! The private media companies are getting more and more powerful - and as I said, influencing elections and policy hugely. The need for Auntie is increasing with time, not decreasing!

It's either a public service broadcaster or it's a private company a la Murdoch media. There is no possible middle ground.

You honestly think it would be a good thing for the UK to have all media 100% controlled by private individuals?!

No, otherwise we'd be down the path of the yanks with free for all sensationilist crap and full on political war when elections are due. I suppose there is point re: having an "independent" service, although I do believe that we pay too much for it, especially for the use which is negligible in my house. I also think Sky is taking the urine but their sports coverage is top notch (along with the numerous knowledge channels) and is pretty much my viewing habit. 

When the beeb get their arses into gear and make stuff like "Planet  Earth" etc then I do accept it's money well spent, and funding Ricky Gervais' constantly good output:) 

Edited by no.6
Sponsored Links

unllygeidiog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unllygeidiog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 2:34pm

I think the licence fee is a bargain. I don't watch much tv either, but when I consider how much I use the website and listen to the radio I certainly feel that I get my money's worth. I think the BBC is always having to find a precarious balance between producing quality broadcasting on the one hand, and chasing the ratings on the other. Thinking about it, without the licence fee, whole genres of broadcasting would surely die a death: no-one would make radio documentaries, for example.

Our greatest son.
yedarts View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yedarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by no.6 no.6 wrote:

No, otherwise we'd be down the path of the yanks with free for all sensationilist crap and full on political war when elections are due. I suppose there is point re: having an "independent" service, although I do believe that we pay too much for it, especially for the use which is negligible in my house. I also think Sky is taking the urine but their sports coverage is top notch (along with the numerous knowledge channels) and is pretty much my viewing habit. 

When the beeb get their arses into gear and make stuff like "Planet  Earth" etc then I do accept it's money well spent, and funding Ricky Gervais' constantly good output:) 

The BBC is IMO very cheap. I don't watch an awful lot of TV but the BBC content I do consume (Radio 4, BBC online, BBC News, TMS, The Thick of it) I'd pay double for.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 2:42pm
even if you could argue corporal punishment isn't a deterrent, i'd be quite happy to watch a person hang in front of me for taking a life. i'd pull the lever myself. call me medieval but i'd be quite happy to see him suffer in some horrific way before he swings.
Gary Coleman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Who are we?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Coleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 2:43pm
Quagmire! You're medieval.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic