Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Internationals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FURBALL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Internationals
    Posted: 18 January 2007 at 12:24am

Surely with all this fuss about 'too many fixtures' we should put an end to the pointless internationals that we play, like summer tours and autumn internationals there's no need for them they just burn players out.

At the moment, if an average player gets a run in an international team, he could probably end up having more caps in a couple of years than the likes of the legendary Phil Bennett had in a whole career of rugby and that's just an average player. It's getting farcical now and someone needs to sort it out. Competitions like the h cup are being forfeited for crappy internationals that are meaningless.

Edited by FURBALL
Sponsored Links

scarletsim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 1:35am
Summer tours are useful for developing future internationals, in my opinion.
FURBALL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FURBALL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 3:41am

You can't just take youngsters out on their own though, you need quality internationals with them. I personally think that spanking the yanks and Canadians hasn't really done the likes of Nicky Robinson any good.

Sevens is a different matter and the wru have only just grasped this.

I'm not a professor of rugby of course, this is just my opinion. I'd hate to see the h cup disappear and we're stuck watching crap games all summer and pointless ones in the autumn.

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 9:04am
the answer is bringing back the 'A' team. (cue jokes) used to be great for a springboard to launch potential internationals and those who were on the fringes. i'd love to see that competition back, it was a good pre six nations appetizer in the pub as well!
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 9:15am
totally agree there ,i thought someone mentioned on scrum v the other day that the w.r.u. were considering reinstating the a team,it was a nice thing to get you in the mood for the main event.
DgembaDgemba View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DgembaDgemba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 9:16am

Originally posted by Quagmire Quagmire wrote:

the answer is bringing back the 'A' team. (cue jokes) used to be great for a springboard to launch potential internationals and those who were on the fringes. i'd love to see that competition back, it was a good pre six nations appetizer in the pub as well!

used to love the A games.  They make an away trip worthwhile - A game on the friday followed by the international on the saturday.

Have great memories of when Wales A played New Zealand in Sardis road.  Nearly had heart palpatations as i met some of the players from the NZ team -Mehrtens, Lomu, Kronfeld, Fitzpatrick and my hero Jeff Wilson  

The localised condition of planetary atmospheric condensation caused a malfunction in the visual orientation circuits...

Or to put it another way, we got lost in the fog.
scarletsim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 12:25pm

Originally posted by Quagmire Quagmire wrote:

Totally agree - must admit I'd forgotten about the 'A' teams when I posted before. I think it'd be very beneficial if the WRU decided they could afford to bring it back!

Fozzie View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Gas-mask optional.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 12:28pm
the only reason I've been watching big brother is to see B.A. and Murdoch bust Face Man out.
f'dang b'dang boy
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 1:08pm
We can't put an end to them because, quite simply, we need the money they generate.
Haggis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 1:18pm
I'd be more than happy to see the return of the A internationals, but I think the Autumn internationals have gone overboard. Years ago, you would have 1 maybe 2 SH touring teams a year, but now, they take up a whole month of the season. As usual, money talks. Whilst I always want the national team to do well, I would much prefer to part with my hard earned on a weekend trip to Toulouse, Agen or Belfast with like minded people rather than exagerated prices with what has become a circus to Edinburgh. Dublin, Paris or Rome.
Haggis
DIXX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
WHAT A KIP!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 1:22pm

summer tours are useful to see who we have, and what players who are om the border line due to age or whatever, its good to see whether these players can perform at international level. i think this is the reason why we should bring back wales A team. players like ian evans, alun wyn jones, chris czekaj, gavin evans, and eventhough has shone in the autumn, james hook- to give him more experience at the international stage etc.

in recent summer tours thats what its been used for. they may as well bring back Wales A team for this as hey call it a development tour anyway.

Parc y Scarlets - Where the Wild Roses Grow so Scarlet and Free
ScarletHeart View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletHeart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2007 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by FURBALL FURBALL wrote:

At the moment, if an average player gets a run in an international team, he could probably end up having more caps in a couple of years than the likes of the legendary Phil Bennett had in a whole career of rugby and that's just an average player.

A good example of which is that Phil Bennet amassed 29 international caps while Craig Quinnell has 32!

[IMG]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic