Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ferry crossing for Clermont trip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryn@man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 8:01pm

Thanks Abbey...

Revised cost estimate is now £547.50 allowing for increased tolls and slightly cheaper fuel.

My plan is... 

Outward

Depart Utopia at 02:00hrs Saturday 10th

Arrive Dover at 06:00hrs for 08:00hrs Bolougne sailing

Depart Bolougne 10:00hrs for Clermont

Arrive Clermont hotel around 17:00hrs 

Return

Depart Clermont at 10:00hrs Monday 12th

Arrive Bolougne by 17:00hrs for 18:45hrs Dover sailing

Depart Dover 20:30hrs for Utopia

Arrive Utopia for around 01:00hrs on Tues 13th 

I thought the above was realistic with plenty of slack for the odd fuel stop\grub\kip...??

Edited by Bryn@man
Sponsored Links

Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 9:21pm

ok which hotel are all the headers/club/shop trip going to be staying in?

going by bike. looks like i`m on my own, i don`t care, i`m well up for this, nothing will make me shy away from doing my scarlet duty!!!

me, a cbr600f, a tank bag and a ruck sack will be leaving morfa llanelli around 2/3 am saturday hopefully catch a ferry from dover around 6/7am. nice hour and a half rest then for the big chunk from calais (speedferries/boulogne don`t take bikes).

hopefully tie up with a few of the convoy to mozy on down to clermont, looking to arrive by about 5pm. tiredness is for wimps. adrenalin is the soup of the day.

gonna take my time going home, may even break it up with a b n b somewhere on the way. its gotta be done mun.

s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

If you want serious travel estimates:

Cardiff - Dover = 3.5 hours (normal driving conditions or 3 hours if traffic light).

Sorry to be pedantic but I reckon Cardiff to Dover is nearer to 4hours to be on the safe side. I was working in Ramsgate today and it took me 1hr 20mins to get there from Redhill ( J8 on M25).

There has been lots of crashes this summer on M25, M26 and most of all M20. Come the bad weather in November, and the tendancy for lorry drivers to drive like twats, I`d give yourself plenty of time to get there.

( I`m still going to drive down mind ).

In Pivac we trust
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Bryn@man Bryn@man wrote:

I’m still unsure which way to get there. I always feel more in control taking the car as opposed to bus trips etc. The cost difference for two of us travelling by car as opposed to the Sports Experiences trip is around £115 each…. Probably less hassle along with one extra night in Clermont on the SE trip

My estimate costs for two of us…

Fuel: £130.00

UK&French Tolls: £45.00

Ferry: £40.00

Hotel: £257.60 (2 Rooms 2 Nights Holiday Inn)

Tickets: £45.00

Total Trip Cost: £517.60

I need to get the hotel cost down. Need to find a tidy hotel a bit cheaper than the Holiday Inn. Any suggestions??

Have a look on Trip advisor for accomodation. As an example the Ibis in Clermont is currently doing rooms for £66 per room for 2 nights. That would save you £120 or more.

In Pivac we trust
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 9:18am
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Originally posted by Bryn@man Bryn@man wrote:

I’m still unsure which way to get there. I always feel more in control taking the car as opposed to bus trips etc. The cost difference for two of us travelling by car as opposed to the Sports Experiences trip is around £115 each…. Probably less hassle along with one extra night in Clermont on the SE trip

My estimate costs for two of us…

Fuel: £130.00

UK&French Tolls: £45.00

Ferry: £40.00

Hotel: £257.60 (2 Rooms 2 Nights Holiday Inn)

Tickets: £45.00

Total Trip Cost: £517.60

I need to get the hotel cost down. Need to find a tidy hotel a bit cheaper than the Holiday Inn. Any suggestions??

Have a look on Trip advisor for accomodation. As an example the Ibis in Clermont is currently doing rooms for £66 per room for 2 nights. That would save you £120 or more.

I agree, Pimp. Tripadvisor is an excellent website. A bit Americanised in its opinions (ie - complaints about hotels not having air condition or ice machines!) but gives solid advice of the quality or otherwise of a hotel.

Remember also to factor in green card insurance (usually about £15 from your insurer) which brings your car insurance up to the same standard as that you have at home and also breakdown cover so that at least you get to the game if your car conks out. 

Vulcan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vulcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 10:47am

http://www.louvrehotels.com/ gives 1 2 and 3 star hotels and motels (inc the Kyriad Prestige that SE are using)

Premiere classe is a good cheap (£15ish per night) Campanile is a 2* motel chain (brilliant help yourself buffets) Kyriad is a 2* hotel chain. The 2*s are about 55/60 euros per night for a twin/double. Breakfast is about 6 euros (help yourself) Dinner is from 12euros.

The Paris Peripheriqe can be murder. BUT it is easily bypassed using the 86 (Turn left past Charles de Gaule aeroport.) Autoroutes are usually quite quiet out of season(tourist season) The busier bits (like the A1) have been upgraded to 3 lane) Others are 2 lane.

I would say that unless you are young, mad, fast etc you would need an o/n stop. But in the past I would have done it in the one day with at least one other driver. Then had 2 nights in Clermont-Ferrand.

Carmarthen/Dover is about 290, then Calais/Clermont-Ferrand is about 430. If you are planning on avoiding the pay motorways either don't or add another day to the trip. On my way back I am spending an o/n in Calais. Taking about 6/7 driving hours. (Then factoring in a full day Dover/Carmarthen cos of the recent spate of probs on the M4.

Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 12:14pm

Last summer I did a week long European road trip: Cardiff-->Paris-->Cologne-->Berlin-->Amsterdam-- >Cardiff. 2,000 miles, 6 nights. I did all the driving. I was warned so much that I was taking too much on, but it was great - really enjoyed it and the driving was easy.

Clermont will be a piece of p1ss mun

yedarts View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yedarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Last summer I did a week long European road trip: Cardiff-->Paris-->Cologne-->Berlin-->Amsterdam-- >Cardiff. 2,000 miles, 6 nights. I did all the driving. I was warned so much that I was taking too much on, but it was great - really enjoyed it and the driving was easy.

See much did you? Apart from motorways and service stations. Why didn't you just find yourself a driving simulator and sit in that for a week? :)

Edited by yedarts
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 2:50pm

I see it as no further as driving from London to Newcastle, which is about 6 hours.

Could this be the Scarlet Fever version of The Gumball Rally????

In Pivac we trust
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 5:04pm
it would be nice if as many of us as possible could set off together, maybe have a few pics of departure and arrival from llanelli to clermont.
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by yedarts yedarts wrote:

See much did you? Apart from motorways and service stations. Why didn't you just find yourself a driving simulator and sit in that for a week? :)

Two nights in Paris, a night in Cologne, two nights in Berlin and one in Amsterdam. An epic experience, really enjoyed and saw plenty. Driving it puts a real perspective on the travelling and the places you're visiting.

You should try it!

Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

I see it as no further as driving from London to Newcastle, which is about 6 hours.

Could this be the Scarlet Fever version of The Gumball Rally????

It'll be epic. And an absolute piece of p1ss. Some people worry too much!

Edited by Mike
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 3:57pm
Anyone going to Munster ive booked on the official supporters trip. It was exellent value when we went to Toulouse. The flights are from Bristol to either Shannon or Dublin.
yedarts View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yedarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 4:31pm

Two nights in Paris, a night in Cologne, two nights in Berlin and one in Amsterdam. An epic experience, really enjoyed and saw plenty. Driving it puts a real perspective on the travelling and the places you're visiting.

You should try it!

I've done it. By train. Far move civilised.
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 9:16pm

You should try it!

I've done it. By train. Far more boring.

I'm sure.

yedarts View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yedarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2007 at 10:15am

I've done it. By train. Far more boring.

I'm sure.

Well that's your opinion. Aping a truck driver for a week isn't my idea of a holiday.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic