FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The New Stadium - Part 37

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The New Stadium - Part 37
    Posted: 03 January 2005 at 1:58pm

the reason for  moving from stradey is more to do with the fact that it is in the middle of a residential area, which its only access routes are tiny roads that are basically terraces! trostre is more accesable from carmnarthen via the motorway. plus there are commercial benifits with the funding coming from having it at trostre, benifits we (as s.pimpernel suggests) we would have to go to the bank and lend if we developed stradey!

Sponsored Links

Scarlet Boy View Drop Down
Bloody Metatarsals

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Originally posted by Scarlet Boy Scarlet Boy wrote:

Also, it'll help the local economy. 

It'll do sweet flip all for the economy in Llandovery, yet it will be paid for by council tax payers up this end of the county.

What with schools closing and roads not being repaired, distribution of resources within the county is becoming quite an issue in the hills. 

Take it up with your local MP.  I can't control the spending of funds in the area.

But if a high percentage of the support for the Scarlets is in the town of Llanelli, then it makes sense to locate the new stadium here.  If you object to it then it's only fair that your allowed to speak up and discuss your particular views on the matter.  Just hope that something can be done to resolve this matter for you personally.  But I hope that you'll agree when I say that what we want to see is a competitive Scarlets team, proving that they are worthy enough to play in such a stadium.

Top points scorer - ScarletFever RFC
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 10:03pm

Also, it'll help the local economy. 

It'll do sweet flip all for the economy in Llandovery, yet it will be paid for by council tax payers up this end of the county.

What with schools closing and roads not being repaired, distribution of resources within the county is becoming quite an issue in the hills. 

salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 9:03pm
Didn't Gallacher state that there would be a bus service from the town to the new ground?
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Bloody Metatarsals

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 9:03pm
As it's a facility intended for public use as well as a match day venue, then the council has to provide a regular and consitent public transport service to this location.  Very doubtful that you'd have a park and ride as there is nowhere really in town where you could park your car.  But a few bus services from various locations in town is a must.  I would have thought there would be a pretty big question mark against the possibility of a discounted season ticket for this service.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 8:56pm

Its all about location.  You look at the site of the new ground.  There are three direct roads leading to it.  One from Swansea, one from Carmarthen and the other from the M4 in Hendy.  This allows fans from many locations to access the new stadium with limited disruption.

Also, it'll help the local economy. There's no point putting the ground where there are a limited number of shops available.  With Trostre expanding all the time, this should hopefully boost the number of customers that are spending their money and create job opportunities. 

To suggest Ammanford, and in particular Aberystwyth is just foolish in my opinion.  Ammanford doesn't have the roads to deal with such a high number of cars and Aberystwyth is just simply a student town.  There isn't a high enough population to demand a stadium that size, and it is very remote when compared with Llanelli.

At the end of the day, if Welsh rugby hadn't gone regional, the team would still be Llanelli, and people like Abbey and Vulcan would still support the team even though it's based in Llanelli town.

fair point there, what about a park and ride which i mentioned earlier? i live near town and as i said earlier it seems it doesn't take into account those who'd like to walk perhaps a bus 'season ticket' for supporters to and from the town centre?  taxi drivers are rubbing their hands i bet!
Bloody Metatarsals

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 8:53pm
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 8:45pm

Well, that's one bite at least

Happy New Year.

Bloody Metatarsals

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 7:56pm

Its all about location.  You look at the site of the new ground.  There are three direct roads leading to it.  One from Swansea, one from Carmarthen and the other from the M4 in Hendy.  This allows fans from many locations to access the new stadium with limited disruption.

Also, it'll help the local economy. There's no point putting the ground where there are a limited number of shops available.  With Trostre expanding all the time, this should hopefully boost the number of customers that are spending their money and create job opportunities. 

To suggest Ammanford, and in particular Aberystwyth is just foolish in my opinion.  Ammanford doesn't have the roads to deal with such a high number of cars and Aberystwyth is just simply a student town.  There isn't a high enough population to demand a stadium that size, and it is very remote when compared with Llanelli.

At the end of the day, if Welsh rugby hadn't gone regional, the team would still be Llanelli, and people like Abbey and Vulcan would still support the team even though it's based in Llanelli town.

Vulcan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vulcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

Rhetorical question No. 1:-

If it is a regional concept, why does it have to be in Llanelli at all? Why not Carmarthen or Ammanford or Aberystwyth or Cross Hands.....................

Now to wait for the abuse. Go on then everyone, have a go

#

At last someone thinking along the same lines as me.

How much land does CCC own at X-Hands?

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Lino Lino wrote:

It's not about how far it is to walk from the centre of town. It's walking there itself. There'll be no provision for people to walk to it regardless of distance.

exactly wot i'm on about
MikeM View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 1:25pm
It's not about how far it is to walk from the centre of town. It's walking there itself. There'll be no provision for people to walk to it regardless of distance.
Through Thick And Thin!
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

If it is a regional concept, why does it have to be in Llanelli at all? Why not Carmarthen or Ammanford or Aberystwyth or Cross Hands.....................

Because it would clearly not make business sense and would not be in the interests on the region ultimately.

But I suspect you already know this

Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 12:53pm

John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 12:46pm

All this talk about which stadium is easiest to walk to from the centre of town.......

A load of hot air for those of us who come from anywhere else in the region. And in case you have forgotten we are a region... 

And alot of the supporters come from outside the town of Llanelli.

Are the council ensuring that there will be a proper link to M4 without lights, roundabouts etcetera? Any chance of public transport? This I know would be difficult with the increasingly schizophrenic Kick off times. 

s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 1:18am
Originally posted by redeyes redeyes wrote:

We certainly cannot afford to develop stradey

And this is the biggest problem that I have with the whole project.

Why is it that the Scarlets don`t put together a business plan and then approach a bank for funding, anything between £5-10million should be OK, and that amount would include the money to buy back Stradey, build a new stand at the pwll end and other renovation costs ( toliets, re-surfacing of car park)

Is our financial footing so bad that we are such a risk for such a measley amount as £10million? It would also mean that we would be in control over our own stadium ( and destiny) and not have the council as landlords, which IMO would be beneficial.

I have posted the link below in relation to Wycombe Wanders new stand. The specifications are as follows

http://www.chairboys.ndirect.co.uk/onthenet/woodland.htm

SPECIFICATION: 4,940 capacity (all seater), including 1,738 seats family area (lower tier), 20 hospitality boxes (360 seats), disabled area, restaurant, refreshment areas, bars and video screens.

The above would be perfect for Stradey ( prehaps on a slightly smaller basis)  built at the town end.

Edited by s.pimpernel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic