Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rupert Moon official press release

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rupert Moon official press release
    Posted: 27 May 2009 at 7:47pm
I know we all know but here's the official press release.

Rupert Moon joins the Scarlets as Commercial Director

The Scarlets have appointed Rupert Moon as the region’s new Commercial Director. 

During the past seven years, Moon has successfully headed up and driven major commercial strategies for the WRU and Millennium stadium and most recently as UK Marketing Director for Wales’ largest insurance brokers, the £60m turnover Protectagroup.  His experience also spans the delivery of major public events, he is a highly respected TV and radio presenter, public speaker and business consultant to a number of private and public sector businesses. 

As Head of Group Commercial and Business Development for the WRU and Millennium Stadium, Moon was part of the senior management team that moved the WRU into its record profit era (see profile below). He also was one of three people who staged the Tsunami Relief Concert at the Millennium stadium in January 2005. Organised in just three weeks, a crowd of 61,000 raised £1.25m for the disaster fund. 

Moon, who lives in Drefach Llanelli, joins from Protectagroup, where he has been for the past 18 months overseeing a rebranding exercise, business relocation and a number of acquisitions. In a highly competitive marketplace the company recently tripled its turnover from £20m to £60m. 

Moon starts at the region on 1st June 2009 and will oversee the Scarlets’ commercial activities focusing on driving revenue and directing sales and marketing activities which will include overseeing; sponsorship, season ticket sales, merchandising, retail, the new CRM system (customer relationship management), stadium events, membership and hospitality, match day experience and community activities. 

Moon has been connected with the region for more than 20 years, first as a player, then as former player life member of the Llanelli Association and as an avid supporter and patron of the rugby region.  A highly popular, dedicated Scarlet, Rupert Moon will be seen by many as the positive ‘people’s choice’ at a time when the region seeks to build wider support within the rugby community across the region. 

The new role at the Scarlets will allow Moon to combine his unrivalled knowledge and passion for the Scarlets region with strong commercial skills gained at the top level. 

On his appointment, Moon said:  “This is a dream job for me and I am very grateful to Protectagroup who have released me early so I can take up this great and challenging opportunity with the Scarlets immediately. 

“I have long since committed myself to the Scarlets in heart and soul and this is a chance for me to pin my colours to the mast in one of the best ways possible - that is, to work for the region I believe in and help lead the business forward successfully. 

“There is plenty to do but equally plenty to work with.  We have a fantastic stadium, strong and loyal support, a team which is investing for the future and lining up Wales’ future stars, a heritage which is the envy of all and a strong commercial and operations team within the Scarlets that is committed to success. 

“This region and its supporters are unique in rugby, there is a passion and loyalty to Scarlets rugby which cannot be paralleled anywhere and the future is about connecting fully with that support, listening to our community and exciting our partners and supporters on and off the pitch. 

“There is plenty to look forward to in the future as we seek to engage further with our supporters and reap the commercial benefits that the fantastic Parc y Scarlets can offer.  We have some exciting new initiatives in the pipeline for our supporters and the rugby region as a whole and I am anxious to get started.”   

Interim Chief Executive, Ian Kirby said:  “This is a highly influential and important role within the region and the Scarlets directors felt that Rupert would bring fresh new impetus into our commercial activities from his recent high level business roles with Protectagroup and before that for the WRU and Millennium stadium.   

“He knows this region very well, understands what is means to be a Scarlet both as a player and as a supporter and understands the nature of our rugby business and community. 

“He will translate this knowledge into a new campaign of commercial activities that will enhance our off field performance as we build a viable and modern rugby business that stays true to its values and competes and operates successfully.” 

ENDS 

Notes to editors: 

Notable career highlights include: One of the original foundation 3 that staged the Tsunami concert raising £1.25m. Part of the senior management team that moved the WRU into its record profit era taking the number of commercial partners from 19 to 34 working with Invesco Perpetual, Reebok, Gillette with a record turnover of 27% and pre tax profit of 42% in 2007. Proudly putting Welsh Water (Princes gate) and Welsh produce into the Millennium Stadium (Castell Howell) for the first time. Implementing pre match change to create the Chapel of Rugby at the Millennium Stadium - Giving Katherine Jenkins her first major opportunity and thanked personally on her first album and working on the Codi Canu series with S4C. Creating new events (Stadium New Years Party & Winter Wonderland) and even teaching Mick Jagger Welsh phrases before going on stage at the Millennium Stadium!  

Profile information: Rupert Henry St John Barker Moon 

Date of birth: 1st February 1968 (41)

Born: Birmingham, West Midlands.

Educated: Ba Hons - University of Glamorgan.

Rugby career:

Llanelli/Scarlet career:  Captain of Llanelli for three consecutive seasons - 1992/93 (when Llanelli beat World Champions Australia), 1993/94, 1994/95.  He played 272 games over 12 years, scoring 77 tries and 392 points.

He is a former player life member of the Llanelli Association in recognition of his commitment to the club by playing more than 250 games.  He retired from the Scarlets in 2002.

Wales career:  24 caps for Wales.  Retired in 2001.

Commercial career: Radio and TV presenter for BBC Wales (inc Bafta award winning Xray) & ITV, Red Dragon Real Radio. Business Consultant working with companies including Buy as You View, University of Glamorgan & Puma.

WRU 2004 - 2007 Rupert joined the Millennium Stadium plc in 2004 as Business Development Manager. In October 2005 he was promoted to Head of Group Commercial and Business Development with responsibility for a broad range of commercial activity. Rupert restructured the Commercial department with a focus on Sponsorship, Hospitality, Retail and Licensing. He successfully increased revenues across all of these areas.

Sept 2007 - Protectagroup as Marketing Director

1st June 2009: Appointed Commercial Director, Scarlets.

Married to actress & Welsh speaker Debbie Moon, with two children Tanwen (4) and Jac Morgan (2), the family live in Drefach, Llanelli.  Rupert famously learnt Welsh in a week to ensure he could say his wedding vows in Welsh on March 1st 2003.

Edited by Alun - 27 May 2009 at 7:47pm
Cartref newydd, Stadiwm newydd, Penod newydd, Yr un freuddwyd.

"Does na unman yn debyg i adra, ond mae adra'n debyg iawn i 'chdi."

All statements-My opinions
Sponsored Links

Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 8:35pm
Yes, it's on the Scarlets website.
SMELLYMIKE View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Apple rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMELLYMIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 8:44pm
I bet you have nade him cry with that answer, after the effort he put in
Alun View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by SMELLYMIKE SMELLYMIKE wrote:

I bet you have nade him cry with that answer, after the effort he put in

CTRL+A, CTRL+C, CTRL+V. LOL

By the way - I don't tend to bother with the Scarlets website these days so I apologise.
Cartref newydd, Stadiwm newydd, Penod newydd, Yr un freuddwyd.

"Does na unman yn debyg i adra, ond mae adra'n debyg iawn i 'chdi."

All statements-My opinions
jeremy windell View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy windell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 9:12pm
Welcome back RHSBM! A true gentleman and a GREAT ambassodor for the Scarlets. I wish you well!
Go ahead..........Take those banana's
Rambler
Rambler
Apple rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMELLYMIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by jeremy windell jeremy windell wrote:

Welcome back RHSBM! A true gentleman and a GREAT ambassodor for the Scarlets. I wish you well!

Whats a RHSBM
stevey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 10:13pm

Whats a RHSBM

Rupert Henry St John Barker Moon 
Scarletrover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 10:15pm

Rupert Henry St John Barker Moon. (The St John is pronounced Singen)

Rambler
Rambler
Apple rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMELLYMIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 10:15pm

ObviouslyEmbarrassed

Bryn@man View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryn@man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 10:51pm
Good thread... I had no idea what CTRL+A did until I tried it now...
Jac Tawe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jac Tawe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 10:51pm

Whats a RHSBM
Even I knew that!
Rambler
Rambler
Apple rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMELLYMIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Jac Tawe Jac Tawe wrote:

Whats a RHSBM
Even I knew that!

When you are sitting between me and lofty next season....it will be nice to have someone with all the answersWink
Ciderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 12:02am
Cheers Alun,I don't tend to bother with that site either.
I'm in the middle of a move so it's the first I'd heard of it.
I wish him all the best in his new role,he was a great player for us and I'm sure he'll be equally as commited in this new position.
The light at the end of the tunnel-is the light of an oncoming train
Rambler
Rambler
Apple rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMELLYMIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 12:16am
Where are moving to Ciderman...nothing to do with whitness relocation ..is it
annies boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annies boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 7:11am
where is darcy then?
the dream will come true
Chico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 7:34am
They forgot to mention he used to be the Waterboy for the Welsh team ! You can do it Rupe !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic