Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mark Jones off to GP?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichieT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:28pm
I get the feeling we're only reading half an interview here.
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by PENCOED SCARLET PENCOED SCARLET wrote:

Welsh international winger Mark Jones has set his sights on securing a move to the Guinness Premiership, as soon as he makes a full recovery from injury.

The Scarlets skipper has not featured since late October after tearing a cartilage in his right knee, an injury sustained during a training session with the national side.

However, with the 30-year-old closing in on a return he told skysports.com that a summer switch to the Guinness Premiership would definitely catch his eye.

"There is no doubt that the Guinness Premiership is a fantastic spectacle and with Sky's weight behind it, the league is always at the forefront of everybody's mind," he said.

"It is a tremendous competition, but it is completely different from the Magners League. It is very, very physical and there is no quarter given.

"Sometimes the rugby can be far more brutal in terms of the forward exchanges, but it would be a great chance for me. It would represent a totally different challenge for me, especially at the age of 30, as I don't have a great amount of time in my career left and I would definitely be interested if parties came in for me.

"However, at the moment I am just concentrating on getting myself fit and then helping the Scarlets have a strong end to the campaign."

Quoted on Skysports website

HAVING A STRONG END OT THE SEASON? he said on sunday he may not play again . how old are these quotes?
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:31pm
If Mark overcomes the current injury he'd be in our first team without doubt and captain. He is much better than Fenby!
RichieT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichieT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

Perhaps he's realised, that for the first time in years, we have a young dynamic winger who is a serious competitor for the 14 shirt, & with another season behind him, will be in (or on the fringes) of the Welsh squad !
I think somehow that even when fit, Mark, will not take the shirt from Fenby now !

I disagree. When Mark is fully fit he is first choice for Wales. Fenby has a lot of improving to do before he can be classed as a decent Heineken Cup standard wing.
brookesford View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brookesford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

Perhaps he's realised, that for the first time in years, we have a young dynamic winger who is a serious competitor for the 14 shirt, & with another season behind him, will be in (or on the fringes) of the Welsh squad !
I think somehow that even when fit, Mark, will not take the shirt from Fenby now !

He will take the wing berth as he's our club captain so whoever is on his wing will be dropped if Mark is fit enough.
Do you think Martyn Madden would marry me?
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:33pm
I'd hold fire on this. Doesnt sound right to me.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:37pm
lyons will be club captain next year I reckon
ps would any gp club give mark a contract with his injury record allied to the welsh call ups he gets?

I doubt it very much.

Alun View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:41pm
Something not quite right about this...
Cartref newydd, Stadiwm newydd, Penod newydd, Yr un freuddwyd.

"Does na unman yn debyg i adra, ond mae adra'n debyg iawn i 'chdi."

All statements-My opinions
CMH View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:42pm
Something just doesn't add up here. Iv'e been told by a number of people that Mark's knee's are shot to pieces. So leaving the Magners and going to the Guiness prem just doesn't make sense, he's on about it being more physical etc, that's exactly what he doesn't need at his age and medical record.

Fully fit, he'd be our starting winger and captain. He's been a great servant but there's somehting not right about this story. Why didn't the scarlets website have it first before sky sports? Or was it for all the Guiness prem teams to read/see it and be like a pack of wolfs around him wanting his signiture. What's the odd's he'll sign for Sale.

The only positive i take from this is that he wont be our coach next season. And with no offence to Mark, but if his career is over due to injury or if no clubs come in for him, i seriously hope we don't just offer him a coaching job as we feel sorry for him. Let's hope this has opened up the door for Robert Jones to come back.

Sgarlets am byth.
Dan the Drover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the Drover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:43pm
It's hard to see why SKY would be interviewing Mark.  The Scarlets are out of any European competition for the rest of this season.  But given that whoever did interview him is probably more familiar with the GP, he may have asked Mark what he thought of it, and whether he'd ever considered playing for a GP team.  That's all it would take to produce this report, alas, so it's a bit naive of Mark if he didn't anticipate this kind of writeup from a journalist looking for something different from the usual cliche and platitide that rugby interviews provide.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:43pm
It's his testimonial season. He's an intelligent lad.  I can't really understand why he's said that.

It's one thing after another.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Dan the Drover Dan the Drover wrote:

It's hard to see why SKY would be interviewing Mark.  The Scarlets are out of any European competition for the rest of this season.  But given that whoever did interview him is probably more familiar with the GP, he may have asked Mark what he thought of it, and whether he'd ever considered playing for a GP team.  That's all it would take to produce this report, alas, so it's a bit naive of Mark if he didn't anticipate this kind of writeup from a journalist looking for something different from the usual cliche and platitide that rugby interviews provide.

Its the top story on their rugby page too.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,15187_6119904,00.html
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

It's his testimonial season. He's an intelligent lad.  I can't really understand why he's said that.

It's one thing after another.

It doesn't matter if it's his testimonial season. Doesn't mean a player won't leave.
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:50pm
Unless of course the unthinkable has happened and the Scarlets have implemented the 26 week rule!!!!
In Pivac we trust
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Unless of course the unthinkable has happened and the Scarlets have implemented the 26 week rule!!!!

ohh that would be a tough call to make. whats the board opinion if we did that?
CMH View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:52pm
Is this another cost cutting measure??

We really are a soap opera aren't we. One thing after another.
Sgarlets am byth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic