Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stodds ready to go!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 6:40pm
Excellent news
Through Thick And Thin!
Sponsored Links

Scarletstarch View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletstarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 7:02pm
Can't wait to see Morgan back in his rightful place at fullback!  Thumbs Up 
"YMA O HYD"
swm View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 7:13pm
wot a backs line up cant wait to see  stoddart ,fenby ,lamont , king ,j davies, t knoyle/roberts ,s jones/priestland   come on you scarlets Staro
steve and ang
North London Scarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote North London Scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by swm swm wrote:

wot a backs line up cant wait to see  stoddart ,fenby ,lamont , king ,j davies, t knoyle/roberts ,s jones/priestland   come on you scarlets Staro

Putting those names together is a mouth watering prospect. Let's hope the pack picks up to give the boys some quality ball to throw around!...
Ry'n ni yma o hyd...
scarlet_rob View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlet_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 8:16pm
Let's keep fingers crossed that we remain injury free, cos it mullered us last season.
ScarletsOwn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletsOwn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 8:18pm
That is great. There is some news that the scarlets want to give him ago on the wing. Ive noticed that he hasn't got the best boot. I think he wloud  play great on the wing. Glad to see you back Stoddart!Thumbs Up
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 8:21pm

I just hope nigel,has been watching the tri nations,the games have been superb,kicking has been the last resort,with the all blacks running rugby been fantastic.

Lets hope we return to the scarlet way,running the ball from deep,passing before contact,and great support play,we need keep the ball alive at all costs,because our play at the contact area has been very poor ,we need a great improvement in this aspect of our play .

I feel turnbull,will be a huge asset at the breakdown,with daf still out,we need rob gog,jonny fach,and shingler to give him great support in this area,if pugh and jon edwards are selected,they need to improve massively at the breakdown .

Mogs,monty,foxy,regan,fenby,stevo and tav .

dan evs,newton,north,lee bach,ford,scott,reynolds,maule.priestland,roberts and gareth  davies,if we can,t run and entertain,with that quality and depth,there is something sadly wrong .
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 8:24pm
how about jonny beans for jonny faa?
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by SMELLYMIKE SMELLYMIKE wrote:

New Zealand have shown again that kicking isnt the only option...Kicking the ball away time and time again levels the playing field to the lowest skill base. .

Its not that simple.

You have to ask yourself then, why are new zealand the only ones doing it successfully?

The answer, put very simply is that they have:

a) the best backs in the world
b) the best forwards in the world
c) The best coach in the world to be able to tell the best forwards and backs how to be the best in the world.

The modern game is far more complex than making a single decision to "run it" or "kick it".
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 8:30pm
point "C" is a bit harsh on pwdin,we put 50 pts on connacht 3rds.LOL
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by SMELLYMIKE SMELLYMIKE wrote:

New Zealand have shown again that kicking isnt the only option...Kicking the ball away time and time again levels the playing field to the lowest skill base. .

Its not that simple.

You have to ask yourself then, why are new zealand the only ones doing it successfully?

The answer, put very simply is that they have:

a) the best backs in the world
b) the best forwards in the world
c) The best coach in the world to be able to tell the best forwards and backs how to be the best in the world.

The modern game is far more complex than making a single decision to "run it" or "kick it".

Is it? Players are faced with that decision all the time, its about decision making and having the confidence and collective desire to counterattack especially off poor kicks and turnovers. Of course other elements of your game have to be in place, support play, good work at the breakdown etc. But for me it is as simple as that, do you have an attitude to take calculated risks or do you just shunt the bloody thing as far down the pitch as possible without going into touch.

Edinburgh play a fast offload type game in the Magners and do well, much better than us as it happens. Are our players as skillful if not better than Edinburgh's?

The rules change and everyone like lemmings adopt a safe "I'm not going to get caught in possession" game plan. It made for shocking entertainment and we finished bottom but one in the Magners. All it did was that games ended up in an arm wrestle in the middle of the field and the team with the most destructive openside and best penalty kickers won.

By all accounts were going to be more aggressive in defence which will hopefully create more turnovers. Yes the All Blacks are good but in Morgan we have someone like Muliaina who has the pace to run away from chasing defenders, all the All Blacks do is make sure that the wingers are there to support and back him up. If he gets tackled invariably they retain possession and its not always because of McKaw. They all know that he might do it and they just react quickly.

Yes there's more to it and you have to have a balanced game but last year we were so negative it was painful to watch. Part of that balanced game should imo be having the confidence to take somebody on and yeah, run it. That's why everyone took to Fenby last year, he was naive enough to think that rugby was about running with the ball. If he starts kicking too much to instruction next year, they'll hear me screaming in Bynea!

Trying to break down organsied blitz defences from set piece and even second or third phase is getting harder every season, if the opposition kick chase is poor then we have precious space to express ourselves.

Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Is it? Players are faced with that decision all the time, its about decision making and having the confidence and collective desire to counterattack especially off poor kicks and turnovers. Of course other elements of your game have to be in place, support play, good work at the breakdown etc. But for me it is as simple as that, do you have an attitude to take calculated risks or do you just shunt the bloody thing as far down the pitch as possible without going into touch.

Edinburgh play a fast offload type game in the Magners and do well, much better than us as it happens. Are our players as skillful if not better than Edinburgh's?

The rules change and everyone like lemmings adopt a safe "I'm not going to get caught in possession" game plan. It made for shocking entertainment and we finished bottom but one in the Magners. All it did was that games ended up in an arm wrestle in the middle of the field and the team with the most destructive openside and best penalty kickers won.

By all accounts were going to be more aggressive in defence which will hopefully create more turnovers. Yes the All Blacks are good but in Morgan we have someone like Muliaina who has the pace to run away from chasing defenders, all the All Blacks do is make sure that the wingers are there to support and back him up. If he gets tackled invariably they retain possession and its not always because of McKaw. They all know that he might do it and they just react quickly.

Yes there's more to it and you have to have a balanced game but last year we were so negative it was painful to watch. Part of that balanced game should imo be having the confidence to take somebody on and yeah, run it. That's why everyone took to Fenby last year, he was naive enough to think that rugby was about running with the ball. If he starts kicking too much to instruction next year, they'll hear me screaming in Bynea!

Trying to break down organsied blitz defences from set piece and even second or third phase is getting harder every season, if the opposition kick chase is poor then we have precious space to express ourselves.

Yes in my opinion it is. Its only one man making the decision, but the whole team needs to know what to do once he's done it. Last season was a good example of this. We were shambolic some of the time because our forwards were all over the place after an initial break / kick etc.

Edited by KID A - 03 August 2010 at 9:32pm
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2010 at 10:28pm
Yes in my opinion it is. Its only one man making the decision, but the whole team needs to know what to do once he's done it. Last season was a good example of this. We were shambolic some of the time because our forwards were all over the place after an initial break / kick etc.

Well based on that then we've no chance of counter attacking, because if we cant get in position following a box kick we've no chance of reacting when a player runs from deep from deep. Are you suggesting were poorly coached?

I remember having this conversation with Muggleton and he said he believed we could take a chance provided there was somebody was backing up. But I got the feeling he wasnt overly keen on it. We certainly didnt try it.

You are right the game is hugely complicated and it is slightly programmed, we do X and Y to enable us to do Z. But Ive been totally underwhelmed by our game plan over the last 2 years. I watched the Captains run thingy at Y Parc and was stunned to see that we actually practiced to play like we did. It seemed to me that our primary means of getting from our half to theirs was a box kick and chase, we then try and play rugby once we get there. Then we go left and then right and then left again until we create an overlap. Trouble was we couldnt create any overlaps because when we went to contact it was either turned over or too slow to do anything with. 

Nigel says he has told players to react and take a snapshot of what's in front of them and react to that. But unless we absolutely munch packs like the Ospreys, Leicester Munster etc. were always going to be facing brick wall defence's off slow ball, it doesnt matter how many photo's you take of that there's no where to go.

We have to be smarter than that and get back to offloads, quick penalties counter attacking off  kicks, turnovers etc. We will have a more competitive back row next year but its a hell of job to out armwrestle the big guns of the Magners and Europe.

Imo our strengths lie in our mobility and pace and we do have skillful runners and I would be practising and practising kick receiption counterattacking and opposition handling mistake/tackle spill counterattacks and I would tell Morgan, Fenby and Lamont to go out there and express themselves.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 6:37am
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Well based on that then we've no chance of counter attacking, because if we cant get in position following a box kick we've no chance of reacting when a player runs from deep from deep. Are you suggesting were poorly coached?

I remember having this conversation with Muggleton and he said he believed we could take a chance provided there was somebody was backing up. But I got the feeling he wasnt overly keen on it. We certainly didnt try it.

You are right the game is hugely complicated and it is slightly programmed, we do X and Y to enable us to do Z. But Ive been totally underwhelmed by our game plan over the last 2 years. I watched the Captains run thingy at Y Parc and was stunned to see that we actually practiced to play like we did. It seemed to me that our primary means of getting from our half to theirs was a box kick and chase, we then try and play rugby once we get there. Then we go left and then right and then left again until we create an overlap. Trouble was we couldnt create any overlaps because when we went to contact it was either turned over or too slow to do anything with. 

Nigel says he has told players to react and take a snapshot of what's in front of them and react to that. But unless we absolutely munch packs like the Ospreys, Leicester Munster etc. were always going to be facing brick wall defence's off slow ball, it doesnt matter how many photo's you take of that there's no where to go.

We have to be smarter than that and get back to offloads, quick penalties counter attacking off  kicks, turnovers etc. We will have a more competitive back row next year but its a hell of job to out armwrestle the big guns of the Magners and Europe.

Imo our strengths lie in our mobility and pace and we do have skillful runners and I would be practising and practising kick receiption counterattacking and opposition handling mistake/tackle spill counterattacks and I would tell Morgan, Fenby and Lamont to go out there and express themselves.

Which is what its all about, my children constantly want me to watch them do everything they do, every minute of the day, "daddy watch this, Daddy watch this", the point being all they want to do is get my attention and please me with acts of daring and excitement, a forward roll here, a back flip off the fifth step of the stairs etc,etc. I would imagine rugby players who are blessed and have attained skills, would love the freedom to express their talents,to show what they can achieve, with an ok watch this mentality. Personally not having Stodds in our backline was a major blow, his attacking power was badly missed and Dan only showed his huge potential against London Irish in Reading and was quiet the rest of the time.

I agree with Tim, the team need to believe in themselves and go for it, fast exciting play is what we are, not rumble up the jungle types. Look at the tries and efforts previous Scarlet teams have scored, some were absolutely incredible, just one spark and its was a raging forrest fire. We have been slow and predictable and its not the Scarlet way.
The skills are there in the squad, all the ingredients are there its just blending everything together, we have had two years of learning how to read, now its time to start telling the story. 
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 6:48am
therein lies the problem,nigel is was and is a conservative coach.
Bryn A! Wel! View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryn A! Wel! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 6:56am
If we can emulate the All Black style, it would be tremendous. Thay are really exciting to watch, this campaign.

I don't think that their players are necessarily streets ahead of ours in terms of innate, natural skill and flair, but what they have developed is an absolute trust in each other. The foundation stone of their game, I believe, is defence - aggressive, assured tackling. There is not a member of their team who is weak in this aspect, and they all know it. Consequently, they are able to keep the number of personnel at breakdowns to the minimum, and wait until their aggressive tackling forces a mistake from the opposition, whereby, because so few are committed to the ruck, they have several pairs of hands free to pass the ball through, and outnumber the opposition tacklers.

Compare that to our game, where it is often necessary for a second (or more) player to assist in a tackle. This occurs when a player has a little less than absolute faith in the tackling prowess of the front-line tackler, and if the same thought process is in two adjacent players, then, thats' three players who cannot contribute further to defence, or attack.

It's where the clinical efficiency of the Blacks comes to the fore.
Fy nheml sy'n yr Emlyn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic