FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

papering over the cracks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: papering over the cracks
    Posted: 13 September 2010 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Turkish Fez Turkish Fez wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Much too harsh on a guy on his first game of the season. Potent offensive weapon but occasionally patchy in defence...let's judge where he is at over a few games eh?,
For me he is still by far and way the best 12 we have.
Will I am not commenting on his performance on saturday but my view of what I have seen when ever he plays. Eye catching but does not do the basics well enough.

I don't disagree boss, it's with a touch of trepadation that i say he is the best 12 we have.
Sponsored Links

redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2010 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by rolly rolly wrote:

Mathew rees looked like he just couldn't be arsed today . Rhys thomas was rubbish .our scrum improved 10 fold when iestyn came on .

Isn't that a contradiction? Seeing as Iestyn replaced Phil John.
Roberts was really poor and Foxy didn't have his best game either. The biggest dissapointment for me was Jonny F, looked as if he didn't want to know!
We also need to forget the experiment of Playing Rob Gog at eight, If Lyons isn't fit then give Ben Morgan a chance. I'm also pretty sure that GQ would have offered us more than Jonny F did on saturday.

Edited by redeyes - 13 September 2010 at 5:55pm
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2010 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Ian Lewis Ian Lewis wrote:

We have a new improved, super duper blitz defence that is supposedly better than the one we had for the last 2 seasons and hey poresto we've concede 8 tries and 67 points in two games. Time to front up Mr Easterby!!
There was me thinking our defence coach was Stevie Wonder!!
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Turkish Fez View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkish Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2010 at 5:10pm

Much too harsh on a guy on his first game of the season. Potent offensive weapon but occasionally patchy in defence...let's judge where he is at over a few games eh?,
Will I am not commenting on his performance on saturday but my view of what I have seen when ever he plays. Eye catching but does not do the basics well enough.
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2010 at 8:24am
Don't buy this argument of waiting to blow the cobwebs off. The same issues are being raised again his ball handling skills are below par and he goes missing in defence. Would rather stick north in at centre at least he has a rugby brain.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2010 at 8:05am

Personally i rather be DIRE right now and winning, than on FIRE in the middle to the end of the season and bloody losing.
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2010 at 4:55am
Turkish Fez View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkish Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2010 at 11:14pm
The question of Foxy keeps coming up and so early again this season. I have always accepted that I in comparison to many have not seen him play many games live. Yes over the past 2/3 seasons score some fine tries and some bullish runs, but its his game without the ball that always concerned me. Yes he put in some big hits but last year missed to many for my liking. Was hoping that our new defensive system would suit him, but early reports are that it does not seem to suit anyone. I was often disappointed by his distribution and his inability at times to recognise when an overlap is on. Speed of thought can make the difference between a average regional player and a good one. At the moment he is a country mile of being the whole package to be even considered as international player. Depserately want to be proven wrong but feel there could be other players in the squad that could be challenging for his shirt.
I have no doubt that having written this he will take the ML and HC by storm in the next couple of months and I will be writing  an apologetic thread. Jon show me to be the fool that I am.

Edited by Turkish Fez - 12 September 2010 at 11:15pm
Sam Cheese View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2010 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

My opinion on the game:

Very poor defensively, definately worse than last season...

Very good post.

Only thing I'd dispute is Fenby at 15. He was toilet.
You will know the vengeance of the Lord Humungus! I promise you... nobody... nobody... gets out of here alive!
Attila View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Attila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2010 at 10:56pm
The guy is good enough no doubt but similar to a lot of our other players...he seems to lack a nasty / intensity / aggressiveness to his game.

Not suggesting that we should be looking to develop dirty players but i think a lot of them need to harden up and play a consistently intense level of rugby a little more like mathew rees, steveo and lamont...especially people like jon, turnbull and ken who could do serious damage if they did.
In Turkey, and other Turkic-speaking countries in the world, he is regarded as a hero and his name is revered.
Wikipedia, 2010

Yma o Hyd!
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2010 at 10:35pm

If you look at the last try yesterday, maybe last year Jon would have gone himself and not passed the ball to Lamont to score. He has only had a couple of games this season, he went on a trip with Wales in the summer that he shouldn't have gone on and is still a bit ring-rusty. If he is still making hospital passes and knock-ons after 5 games of the season then fair comment to [beep] the boy off. I'm sure he is his own worst critic. He is still maturing and he has got class. Class is permanent, form is temporary.

Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2010 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by greypower greypower wrote:

He's been off with the Welsh camp. That usually does it for our boys. They don't seem to come back as better players and often come back on crutches.

Your right there, when he came back from the welsh camp after the 6 nations he'd lost his mojo.

Hope he finds it again.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
greypower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2010 at 10:03pm
He's been off with the Welsh camp. That usually does it for our boys. They don't seem to come back as better players and often come back on crutches.
greypower
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2010 at 9:58pm
Guys, the truth is that Jon has everything, but nothing.

At times, we w(ch him go throghh gaps and think he is a world beater. But, perhaps, he has reached his level. His basic skills are poor. What worries me is that despite years of coaching he has failed to grasp these basics and is surviving on talent. Talent on it's own is not enough. After wtachinh Jon carefully, you could describe him as the man who has everthing but nothing. Forum memebers state he is better than Bishop. It is a peverse comparison at present. I wonder whether he, klnowing Regan was coming back, decided not to work so hard. Poor arguement I lknow, but I am ghraspinng at straws as to why he is so poor at the moment.
#George
LlandaffScarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LlandaffScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2010 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

Martin played badly today agreed but in the first friendly he looked awesome - no hesitation at all .

Honestly, it's not about hesitation or speed or anything like that. He has no game awareness or tactical appreciation. It's really difficult to get any pattern or structure into our game with a scrum half like this constantly making bad decisions and absolving all responsibility onto the first receiver, whether it's your outside half or a prop standing there like a rabbit in the headlights.

He'd have been a good scrum half in the amateur era.

Tavis has to start nexr week, and I'm sure he will.
Aled Davies was outstanding for the RFC yesterday. He reallydoes look like a future international. He is quick and strong, dangerous around the fringes, has a fantastic pass. I would get him involved sooner rather than later.

Ben Morgan was excellent yesterday. He is very quiick for such a big man.

GQ was good. Made a lot of tackles and his work rate was excellent. He is looking in great condition too. I would get all three of these in the 23 as soon as possible.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2010 at 4:48pm
The work by Maule for that try in treviso was sublime.

I've criticised JD's passing a lot but it was a very nice pass for one of our tries yesterday so it's not all bad.

I almost think he could do with a break and just work on his passing, if that's not the case anyway (what do they do in training I sometimes wonder?) and we go with Maule for the next couple of games.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic