Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

papering over the cracks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: papering over the cracks
    Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:03pm
A win and 5 much needed points. There won't be many of the this season.

At times today we were so poor that I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Basic skills are so poor, international players can surely catch and pass....can't they?

Blitz defence, oh dear.

If we don't improve rapidly October will be a month of sever pain, and quality teams will marmalise us.

Discuss
#George
Sponsored Links

gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

A win and 5 much needed points. There won't be many of the this season.

At times today we were so poor that I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Basic skills are so poor, international players can surely catch and pass....can't they?

Blitz defence, oh dear.

If we don't improve rapidly October will be a month of sever pain, and quality teams will marmalise us.

Discuss

Sums it all up. Clueless, no direction. Embarrassed
What's going on?
TravelingMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TravelingMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:08pm
I didn't see the game.

I'm a bit surprised by the handling though? But, they have a win and a bonus point.Clap
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:09pm

Discuss

I don't want to.

Its painful at the moment. Angry

Edited by KID A - 11 September 2010 at 6:09pm
North London Scarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote North London Scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:09pm
Oh dear. Commentators on the radio made it sound like it was top class rugby from both sides... Perhaps it was just them getting a little excited at the notion of their Connacht clocking up a bonus point victory away...

Sounds like there were a lot of basic errors... When oh well will Nigel man-up and start assessing the team and our position realistically. I can see the article on the scarlets website now: 'scarlets overcome fierce Connacht in tight battle' or something equally as spin-doctored...

Ry'n ni yma o hyd...
McQ View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:10pm

This is going to feel a long, long season.

Turkish Fez View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkish Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:10pm
Slow starters this season. Were the forum members slow starters in the Barn? I'll have a side wager they were not!!
TravelingMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TravelingMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Discuss

I don't want to.

Its painful at the moment. Angry

Were they really that bad?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote North London Scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:13pm
How many in the stadium today, boys?...
Ry'n ni yma o hyd...
pontygirl View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pontygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:14pm
Think someone posted 6,400.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote North London Scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by pontygirl pontygirl wrote:

Think someone posted 6,400.

Thanks. Not TOO bad. Room for improvement though!...
Ry'n ni yma o hyd...
fids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:17pm
How many points do you want from a game?  5 points and playing badly isn't that bad  boys I'd take it every week for the Blues, take a chill pill.
ALEC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:21pm
Is it papering over the cracks? When ospreys,blues,munster, Leinster etc win with a bonus point despite playing badly everyone says it's a sign of a class team that can win despite playing badly why do we have to say we are papering over cracks. Connacht beat the dragons by 40 points last week when did we ever do that? That said we were dreadful at times and the missed tackles were disgusting and I lost count how many times the ball was thrown in to touch.but I wouldn't say it's papering over the cracks, some players need to take a long look at themselves tho
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by fids fids wrote:

How many points do you want from a game?  5 points and playing badly isn't that bad  boys I'd take it every week for the Blues, take a chill pill.

Its the fact that we aren't going to improve from last season whatsoever if we make those mistakes.

We'll always be able to attack. But our defence is beyond woeful. How can it be this bad? Connacht seem to break our defence at will for their tries. Yes Regan King and Foxy are great in their half, but unfortunately they are awful in ours.
JonWal View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonWal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:24pm
Don't think my heart could take a dull season of that, the old guy sitting next to me definately couldn't!

Stupid basic errors today, tackling was non existant at times, embarrasingly bad.

Handling too! But maybe the ball/pitch was wet after all the rain we've had.

Still.....5 points though!!!!!!
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by fids fids wrote:

Its the fact that we aren't going to improve from last season whatsoever if we make those mistakes.

We'll always be able to attack. But our defence is beyond woeful. How can it be this bad? Connacht seem to break our defence at will for their tries. Yes Regan King and Foxy are great in their half, but unfortunately they are awful in ours.

A key point.

The other thing that worries me is the basic skills problem. It's been there for a long time, not just last season. Surely, coaches would have addressed this over the summer? Unfortunately, I thought that today's display suggested things had got even worse. Our coaching staff seem to have made no impact on the players at all.
What's going on?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic