Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ospreys begging bowl to the WRU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2010 at 5:49am
Gatland made that not quite so veiled threat but is inconsistent in applying it. Peel was shunned (although his form was rubbish) but Powell was not. Hook knows the score as he leaves but we don't have the luxury of forcing the issue. I reckon going to France will be the new "going north".

I agree with OAM about the wider issue but would add that we're doing quite a good job in keeping it within our means. The problem will be that unearthing jems like North will save money only in the short-term as their stock becomes hugely increased and we have to match that. If we don't, we become a production line for the rest of europe. To that end, Johnson is right about funding. Where the WRU will sting them is by asking them to stop diverting funds to ageing All Blacks that keep the Welsh youth in the stands. They can't have it both ways.
Sponsored Links

Gors_O View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gors_O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2010 at 9:07am
Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

Originally posted by Gors_O Gors_O wrote:

Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

The ospreys have gone to the WRU requesting aid in keeping their welsh stars in Wales

after losing hook to Perpignan and Byrne highly tipped to follow him to France, the Ospreys have asked the WRU to intervene and pay top-ups to keep welsh players in Wales.

They haven't though have they?
Scott Johnson has said that the WRU may have to look at offering the regions (that's regions, not just the Ospreys) top ups to keep the players in Wales.  You really don't need to be blessed with intelligence to see that that's completely different from going cap in hand to the WRU.

You and your lot have consistently refused to accept the truth and have believed that you're up there with the big spenders when, in reality, it's nothing more than smoke & mirrors.

It's finally hitting home with you, the supporters, now that your management is going public on just how difficult it is to sustain a professional rugby team in Wales.
You have been so far up your own backsides that you've missed what's happenning.

Show me some quotes where either myself or "my lot" have claimed to be up there with the big spenders.
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2010 at 9:56am

The ospreys have gone to the WRU requesting aid in keeping their welsh stars in Wales

after losing hook to Perpignan and Byrne highly tipped to follow him to France, the Ospreys have asked the WRU to intervene and pay top-ups to keep welsh players in Wales.

Scott Johnson has said that the WRU may have to look at offering the regions (that's regions, not just the Ospreys) top ups to keep the players in Wales.  You really don't need to be blessed with intelligence to see that that's completely different from going cap in hand to the WRU.

You and your lot have consistently refused to accept the truth and have believed that you're up there with the big spenders when, in reality, it's nothing more than smoke & mirrors.

It's finally hitting home with you, the supporters, now that your management is going public on just how difficult it is to sustain a professional rugby team in Wales.
You have been so far up your own backsides that you've missed what's happenning.

Show me some quotes where either myself or "my lot" have claimed to be up there with the big spenders.

We don't need to show you any quotes. I'm sick and tired of all this "one true region bull****!

MM is quite correct, the majority of you think you can continue to spend arount £7,000,000 per season on a squad put together with the intention of winning the HC, You are nowhere near that.

It's now finally beginning to dawn on the O's that that level of funding is simply not sustainable.

The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2010 at 11:25am
especially when you only get 2400 to watch a match...
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Gors_O View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gors_O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2010 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by redeyes redeyes wrote:

We don't need to show you any quotes. I'm sick and tired of all this "one true region bull****!

MM is quite correct, the majority of you think you can continue to spend arount £7,000,000 per season on a squad put together with the intention of winning the HC, You are nowhere near that.

It's now finally beginning to dawn on the O's that that level of funding is simply not sustainable.

If people are going to make claims, then yes, they do need to back them up.  Rather than having the attitude of a toddler and just saying that it can't be backed up because it doesn't need to be.

What exactly does using the term "one true region" have to do with money?
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 8:16am

Cant you see that the level of spending at the liberty isn't sustainable then? I don't need to show you any quotes to prove the level of spending!

Le Bull View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Le Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 9:23am
They're [beep] and they know they are, They're [beep] and they know they are!!  (Continuous)
Gors_O View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gors_O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Le Bull Le Bull wrote:

They're [beep] and they know they are, They're [beep] and they know they are!!  (Continuous)

Nice football song
ClapClapClapClap
Wouldn't expect anything else from a Neath fan though.

There's nowhere I have suggested that the level of spending at the Ospreys is sustainable, I've said that we aren't up there with the big spenders in Europe, and any fan with any sense can see the same.  The fact that we only strengthened our back up players during the off season shows that we aren't up there with the big spenders.
  I'd wouldn't be surprised to see one bigish name come on next season though, but only because the board now know where they stand with regards to Henson, and that they have money over from James Hook, rather than it coming from our mythical bottomless pot of money.
JonWal View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonWal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 9:55am
Will be interesting to see how it pans out over the next few seasons.

I believe this is pretty much the final year they have at going for the HC with the big spending. Next season will see significant changes to the majority of the squad.

Cannot see any marquee signings either.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 5:14pm

Nice football song
ClapClapClapClap

There's nowhere I have suggested that the level of spending at the Ospreys is sustainable, I've said that we aren't up there with the big spenders in Europe, and any fan with any sense can see the same.  The fact that we only strengthened our back up players during the off season shows that we aren't up there with the big spenders.
  I'd wouldn't be surprised to see one bigish name come on next season though, but only because the board now know where they stand with regards to Henson, and that they have money over from James Hook, rather than it coming from our mythical bottomless pot of money.
so a £1.4 million deal for mike phillips isn't up there with the big spenders then?
Gors_O View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gors_O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Nice football song
ClapClapClapClap

so a £1.4 million deal for mike phillips isn't up there with the big spenders then?

You honestly think that overall, the Ospreys are up there with the likes of Toulon and other big French clubs when it comes to spending power?
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 7:05pm
no i don't think anyone can compete with toulon etc but the o's have certainly splashed the cash to try and buy the H C and have had more money than the other 3 regions,it was never going to be sustainable given that we only recieve £3.5 million as regional funding,it's great having loads of money but if the price to pay is having a numpty like cuddy prowling the touchline's i think i'd rather be skint.Wink
Gors_O View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gors_O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 7:08pm

no i don't think anyone can compete with toulon etc but the o's have certainly splashed the cash to try and buy the H C and have had more money than the other 3 regions,it was never going to be sustainable given that we only recieve £3.5 million as regional funding,it's great having loads of money but if the price to pay is having a numpty like cuddy prowling the touchline's i think i'd rather be skint.Wink

LOL

I'm surprised that the pie thread didn't inspire Cuddy to put in a bid for you lot.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 7:19pm

LOL

I'm surprised that the pie thread didn't inspire Cuddy to put in a bid for you lot.

LOLLOLLOL

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 7:56pm

Nice football song
ClapClapClapClap

It's not sustainable though is it?

Gors_O View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gors_O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by redeyes redeyes wrote:

Nice football song
ClapClapClapClap

It's not sustainable though is it?

Nobody has said it is sustainable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic