Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > ORDERED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beware - Computer scam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beware - Computer scam
    Posted: 09 March 2011 at 4:13pm
Tell people about this. They phoned me yesterday. If you're an elderly person or not too pc savvy it's very frightening as to how easy they can pull this off.

Someone claiming to be from Microsoft phones you at home and tells you their logs are picking up an infection from your computer. To gain credibility, the phone scammer may give you easily discoverable information, such as your name, address, and phone number - stuff available to any random telemarketer or scam caller with a couple of bucks to spend.

Once they've gained your attention, this bogus Microsoft 'tech' then instructs you to open Event Viewer and says that any errors reflected in that log are 'proof' of a virus. The scammer then directs you to ammyy.com and tells you to run the tool and give them the ID it provides, after which they're now able to get complete remote access to your PC.

Remember:

1. Anyone can dial a number and claim to be someone else;
  2. The real Microsoft doesn't call their customers to report virus infections;
  3. Never run any unknown program or install any remote access tool for someone unless you are 100% certain of their identity and trustworthiness.

Ammyy.com advertises ammyy.exe as a remote access and file sharing tool. In malware terms, programs that do that without your permission are known as backdoors, password stealers, and data theft trojans. While Ammyy may have legitimate purpose when used between two *very* trusted parties, when Ammyy is used by a scammer, it's nothing more than a thief's tool.

Sponsored Links

cauliflowerear11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cauliflowerear11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 5:43pm
similar scam nearly caught out my elderly father earlier this year. When the person calls they ask for you using your christian name. Most of the people who call are indians.Luckily I called around when I did as my father was just about to give out his email address and password.
 Would you give out your bank ATM pass number to a complete stranger?????  So why give out your personal email password? Its the same thing remember.
I soon got rid of them by introducing myself as police inspector ....... The phone soon went dead and they havent called back since.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 5:55pm
Just to let anyone know MICROSOFT never call anybody... lol
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
SMELLYMIKE View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Apple rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMELLYMIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 7:58pm
Scams scams and more scams....where is it going to endSick
kcreg View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by SMELLYMIKE SMELLYMIKE wrote:

Scams scams and more scams....where is it going to endSick
as long as there's a wru,then there'll always be scams.
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Just to let anyone know MICROSOFT never call anybody... lol

Even when you ask them to professionally ! LOL
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
maldwyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maldwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 7:47pm
Some asian sounding guy phoned here yesterday and asked for me by name and told me my computer was infected with a virus.
I took great pleasure in telling him to'do one'He sounded very confused as I slammed the phone down.
Up the bum no harm done.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by maldwyn maldwyn wrote:

Some asian sounding guy phoned here yesterday and asked for me by name and told me my computer was infected with a virus.
I took great pleasure in telling him to'do one'He sounded very confused as I slammed the phone down.

yeah that's happened a few times lately.. it happened to my mother, but luckily I was home at the time and told him where to go.. he said he was from her ISP...

enjoyed the conversation we had.. goes something like this

"sir this is your technical support team from (ISP), you have a virus on your pc"
me "oh do I"
"yes sir you do"
"oh how do i get rid of it"
"you need to go to this site and buy our anti virus software"
"oh right you want my bank card details"
"yes we will require them"
"then why don't you come and get them you f'ing bleep bleep bleep.... you're talking to someone who's worked in IT for nearly 16 years now go away before I really get angry you masterbator"
"beeeeeeeeeppppppppppp"

mother looks at me and says "Jason stop swearing"LOL
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2011 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Originally posted by maldwyn maldwyn wrote:

yeah that's happened a few times lately.. it happened to my mother, but luckily I was home at the time and told him where to go.. he said he was from her ISP...

enjoyed the conversation we had.. goes something like this

"sir this is your technical support team from (ISP), you have a virus on your pc"
me "oh do I"
"yes sir you do"
"oh how do i get rid of it"
"you need to go to this site and buy our anti virus software"
"oh right you want my bank card details"
"yes we will require them"
"then why don't you come and get them you f'ing bleep bleep bleep.... you're talking to someone who's worked in IT for nearly 16 years now go away before I really get angry you masterbator"
"beeeeeeeeeppppppppppp"

mother looks at me and says "Jason stop swearing"

ClapLOL
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2011 at 2:21pm
I'd love them to call my 93 year old Mother, who's only just mastered the TV remote .....

I've had to talk her through playing a dvd many a time ... four hours being the record, & then I got in the car, drove down & pressed play on the Remote (not the hash button on your cordless phone Mother !)

I'm sure after half an hour on the phone to her, there'd be one less scammer !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic