Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > Rugby World Cup 2011
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNorling backs Rolland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Norling backs Rolland
    Posted: 17 October 2011 at 4:34am
Cartref newydd, Stadiwm newydd, Penod newydd, Yr un freuddwyd.

"Does na unman yn debyg i adra, ond mae adra'n debyg iawn i 'chdi."

All statements-My opinions
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 6:25am
Hardly a shock that mate!
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 6:54am

that's norling and alun,(both refsWink) yet world cup winners like dallaglio and piennar who both know the heat of battle say it was a terrible call.

scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 7:10am
Dallaglio & Pienaar... Ex players... Promoting play outside the Law Book ... Thank f*** for that .... I thought Rugby had gone bad for a second !
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 7:16am
Someone posted somewhere that Nigel Owens refused to comment so therefore they assumed he was supporting the view it was a wrong decision.
Nigel is in fact being a consummate professional in NOT passing comment about a colleague. He'll leave that to his & Rollands boss, Paddy O'Brien via the IRB.
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 7:21am
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

Dallaglio & Pienaar... Ex players... Promoting play outside the Law Book ... Thank f*** for that .... I thought Rugby had gone bad for a second !

Yeah, what would they and pretty much every other proper rugby experts know about the game.

It's not us against them here in terms of refs against the rest of the world, sometimes when everyone is telling you something is wrong you've got to hold your hands up and admit it.
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 7:30am
All the officials are sticking together over the issue - no real surprise there is there!! What will be interesting is what these said officials say about what happened after they retire or if a book comes out about their careers - what will they say then?? I would bet they won't be so diplomatic then!!

IMO the IRB left themselves open for criticism by selecting Roland as the ref in the first place as he has got French parentage - which once you tell ANYONE who watched the game said isn't right. I'm not saying he's a bent ref, but surely it isn't right?
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
scarlet_rob View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlet_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 8:08am
There were'nt many refs with a bigger ego than Norling! One over-inflated ego supports another! Too much ref love going on. it was a shocking decision and it is my right as a supporter to use that as the excuse for Wales' World Cup exit for the rest of my life. We was robbed!

lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Alun Alun wrote:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/10/15/rugby-world-cup-welsh-ref-clive-norling-backs-alain-rolland-decision-to-send-off-sam-warburton-91466-29601649/

Rugby World Cup: Welsh ref Clive Norling backs Alain Rolland decision to send off Sam Warburton

If i had a mortgage i would have bet on it.....

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 9:09am
Originally posted by scarlet_rob scarlet_rob wrote:

There were'nt many refs with a bigger ego than Norling! One over-inflated ego supports another! Too much ref love going on. it was a shocking decision and it is my right as a supporter to use that as the excuse for Wales' World Cup exit for the rest of my life. We was robbed!

Clap
i find most refs power hungry people who struggle to communicate with players (certainly at grass roots) probably under the thumb and hen-pecked at home
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 9:21am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

that's norling and alun,(both refsWink) yet world cup winners like dallaglio and piennar who both know the heat of battle say it was a terrible call.

Also, don't forget Sean Fitzpatrick, Michael Lynagh, and half of the current England squad (inc the captain - who have openly tweeted their disgust!).
Scarlets!!!
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 9:25am
Kingsley made a valid point on tv last night, that the refs had all been given a directive to red card such incidents, and he had a memo which I believe went around to all the teams.  It would be interesting to know if wales were aware of this memo.  

Kingsley stressed that his heart said yellow, but the hard reality of this directive said red.

Gareth Edwards said something along the lines of - Directives are there to be broken, look at the ball in the scrum directive. Smile
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Gareth Edwards said something along the lines of - Directives are there to be broken, look at the ball in the scrum directive. Smile

Not quite got the safety aspect with the ball in the scrum though.

Norling sums it up well by saying "Don't give the referee a decision to make in the first place"

There was no need for Sam to lift Clerc.The tackle had been made just go to ground.
geordie scarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geordie scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 9:45am
It,s no surprise that the Irb and other oficials are backing Rolland... they have to ! It would open up a whole new can of worms and also alienate the official , leaving them open to further scrutiny etc

I have read the posts, and have my own opinion. In my view as per the letter of the law, it was a red.. however there is something that an experienced ref at this level should possess which is common sense and game management.. not black and white blinkers !

In life today, numerous decisions will be made. Some people,s lives will be affected by them, some will learn from them, some will not learn from them.. but it,s the decision makers that should weigh up all the possibilities and manage what,s best for the individual, the decision maker and possibly society in general ... this comes from experience.. something that in a refeering capacity Mr Rolland has in abundance   

I make decisions daily, and i do them within the law. I weigh up the options, and i can justify every enforcement action that i do... i make these with the above thoughts in my mind  

On Saturday, Alain Rolland made a bad decision, by not weighing up the game options, the individuals options, the role that the paying and watching public play in this game, and could have managed it better, rather than applying the blinkers. In my view, he will always be known as the man who cost Wales a world cup final place   
Toontotown challenges have now raised £101,321 for charity www.toontotown.co.uk

You cant buy Scarlet culture........You have to breed Scarlet culture
Proud member of Herman Tours
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 9:56am
Originally posted by geordie scarlet geordie scarlet wrote:

It,s no surprise that the Irb and other oficials are backing Rolland... they have to ! It would open up a whole new can of worms and also alienate the official , leaving them open to further scrutiny etc

I have read the posts, and have my own opinion. In my view as per the letter of the law, it was a red.. however there is something that an experienced ref at this level should possess which is common sense and game management.. not black and white blinkers !

In life today, numerous decisions will be made. Some people,s lives will be affected by them, some will learn from them, some will not learn from them.. but it,s the decision makers that should weigh up all the possibilities and manage what,s best for the individual, the decision maker and possibly society in general ... this comes from experience.. something that in a refeering capacity Mr Rolland has in abundance   

I make decisions daily, and i do them within the law. I weigh up the options, and i can justify every enforcement action that i do... i make these with the above thoughts in my mind  

On Saturday, Alain Rolland made a bad decision, by not weighing up the game options, the individuals options, the role that the paying and watching public play in this game, and could have managed it better, rather than applying the blinkers. In my view, he will always be known as the man who cost Wales a world cup final place   

Pretty good post. But I just think that had Alain Rolland not given a red card, after the IRB had just re-iterated that this exact offence was RED and nothing else. His position as an international referee would have become untenable.
A Evans View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 10:49am
Shock news just reached me. Turkeys have voted to cancel Christmas.
We are Con Air. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic