Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So how much of this italian money will we get?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So how much of this italian money will we get?
    Posted: 27 November 2011 at 9:05pm

I know weve had a few threads on funding
However the Italians it has been claimed are brining millions to the table with the mega money of their sponsors. so how much are we talking and what and when do we get our slice?

I read today that the RFU pays English clbs £100,000 per player per season for each test player they select. The report said the WRU pays just £30,000. It claimed if this continues then the welsh player exodus will continue at a faster pace. But English clubs and their game is far more in the control of the money men backing the clubs. money brings other problems. owners interests V National interests.....club v country....mixed loyalties....players playing for money and not the team....petty jealousy from some....too many overseas signings meaning no home grown talent playing for their regions etc

I have tried to see if the fnding we get has increased from £3.5 million this season, but the last figures I could find was from last year.

I accept the WRU send money to the academies which helps develop players which we benefit from. We then take them a stage further. I do however think the WRU must address these payments for regions losing star players for 10 weeks a season and injuries at test level etc
Our motive is to be successful, to turn a profit in order to survive and thrive and yes to supply test players too. But £30,000 to lose all your best players for 10 weeks/plus the injuries and disruption it causes, looks miniscule.

I suspect the WRU have different few motives, yes they want development at grass roots. They and the welsh coaches want players do be 100% fully rounded developed players. They also want to keep control of welsh rugby. Finally they want to try and ensure the regions dont spend much money on recruiting too many non welsh qualified players. Its a balancing act. (sorry to drag up the past but Id rather see a million pumped into the academy than a few frano botica signings)

Mind you to see them buying the arms park pub was a surprise? they say its an investment. But are they in a position to make such an investment when their regions are losing money?
At least the old structure of 1 member 1 vote per club has a chance to keep the wru accountable to some degree.

So how much funding do we get? how much Italian euro will we get?
How do we go about increasing it?

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2011 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

I know weve had a few threads on funding

However the Italians it has been claimed are brining millions to the table with the mega money of their sponsors. so how much are we talking and what and when do we get our slice?

I read today that the RFU pays English clbs £100,000 per player per season for each test player they select. The report said the WRU pays just £30,000. It claimed if this continues then the welsh player exodus will continue at a faster pace. But English clubs and their game is far more in the control of the money men backing the clubs. money brings other problems. owners interests V National interests.....club v country....mixed loyalties....players playing for money and not the team....petty jealousy from some....too many overseas signings meaning no home grown talent playing for their regions etc

I have tried to see if the fnding we get has increased from £3.5 million this season, but the last figures I could find was from last year.

I accept the WRU send money to the academies which helps develop players which we benefit from. We then take them a stage further. I do however think the WRU must address these payments for regions losing star players for 10 weeks a season and injuries at test level etc

Our motive is to be successful, to turn a profit in order to survive and thrive and yes to supply test players too. But £30,000 to lose all your best players for 10 weeks/plus the injuries and disruption it causes, looks miniscule.

I suspect the WRU have different few motives, yes they want development at grass roots. They and the welsh coaches want players do be 100% fully rounded developed players. They also want to keep control of welsh rugby. Finally they want to try and ensure the regions dont spend much money on recruiting too many non welsh qualified players. Its a balancing act. (sorry to drag up the past but Id rather see a million pumped into the academy than a few frano botica signings)

Mind you to see them buying the arms park pub was a surprise? they say its an investment. But are they in a position to make such an investment when their regions are losing money?

At least the old structure of 1 member 1 vote per club has a chance to keep the wru accountable to some degree.

Bloody hell Roy and i thought i wrote too much. Your blowing me out of the water mate.
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2011 at 9:13pm
I get the odd bout of verbal diarrhea on the sabbath ....should clear by tomorrowTongue
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2011 at 9:23pm

I get the odd bout of verbal diarrhea on the sabbath ....should clear by tomorrowTongue

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2011 at 9:27pm
Was Roy a Welsh Baptist minister in his former life or what ?LOLLOL
A Evans View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2011 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

LOL, i can imagine him being a bit like Reverand Brown from Coming to America. Some cracking points mind.
We are Con Air. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2011 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

He has defo been blessed.

Bryn A! Wel! View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryn A! Wel! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2011 at 8:55am

This came as a bit of a surprise to me too! I hadn't heard this - can anybody expand on this for my benefit?
Fy nheml sy'n yr Emlyn
Bryn A! Wel! View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryn A! Wel! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2011 at 9:00am
I am not quite clear what this Italian money you're referring to in your article is, as I have not heard the news. Are you saying that there is a tranche of Italian money which has been put up for sharing amongst all the teams and nations in the Pro 12? No doubt their TV money will be shared amongst the Italian teams only, their individual teams' sponsorship is for them only - so where does this extra money come from?
Fy nheml sy'n yr Emlyn
Nikostratos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikostratos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2011 at 9:16am
I'm not sure of the details, but last year it was mentioned that the Italians contributed some cash to the league.  Not sure if it does any more than cover the extra costs associated with travelling to Italy and maybe putting on games where the attendance will be low [how much does it cost Edinburgh to stage a home game, for example?].  It's not new this year afaik.
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2011 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Nikostratos Nikostratos wrote:

I'm not sure of the details, but last year it was mentioned that the Italians contributed some cash to the league.  Not sure if it does any more than cover the extra costs associated with travelling to Italy and maybe putting on games where the attendance will be low [how much does it cost Edinburgh to stage a home game, for example?].  It's not new this year afaik.
I think this is about right, but can't be 100% 

I'm sure there was an interview with Nigel where he stated that the extra income from the Italians covers the extra travelling costs for the team that are associated with the games over in Italy.

I might be wrong here though, will try an find the interview. Thumbs Up
Scarlets!!!
Steffano1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steffano1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2011 at 1:17pm
The hope was that by allowing Italian teams to enter the pro 12 that tv audiences would be greatly increased and therefore sponsorship as a whole. There was talk of putting teams in Rome and Turin but the Italian Rugby union placed both teams in their rugby heartlands because they knew there was already support there. However the population of Treviso and the Aironi area is in the 100,000s rather than the millions of Rome and Turin so it hasn't really increased the pro 12's exposure to a new market
O bydded ir Scarlets barhau
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic