Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

sports stars who should be knighted?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sports stars who should be knighted?
    Posted: 08 December 2011 at 10:13pm
seems to be bizarre how some get knighthoods bestowed on them easily and others are forever ignored

it may be my imagination but the celts are under represented on the whole...maybe because the knighthoods tend to go to more famous more hyped guys than based on actual achievements..sir trevor brooking? sir henry cooper?

heres a few who perhaps should have knighthoods now on in the near future.....feel free to add your own

kenny dalglish - after giggs the most successful british player ever......tremendous scottish international joing scorer with denis law.....also won several trophies as manager (inc cup and league double) plus prem with blackburn...also has put in tremendous work for many of the families related to victims of the heysel and hillsborough tragedies.

denis law. the holy trinity. 237 goals in 404 games. an amazing 30 in 55 for scotland...career goals over 350...won every domestic trophy....european footballer of the year 1964....greatest scottish player for 50 years award etc does loads and loads for charity

john charles-giganto buento. what a wonderful man. the most successful british football export ever. again 350 goals. played as well at centre back as centre forward. never sent off. the most expensive export ever at the time.  he won everything in italy including the greatest player ever in serie A. hes also revered at leeds where he banged in 150 goals. he got wales to the world cup for the last time in 50 odd years. uber legend

barry mcguigan. the clones cyclone..the peoples champion. the entire country came to a standstill when barry beat eusebio pedroza and won the world title. bbc sports personality of the year 1985. now chairman of the PBA...hes long championed boxing in the clubs and schools and fought to make it a safer sport. who could ever fo0rget his old man sing danny boy before his fights.

joe calzaghe. the italian dragon. undefeated undisputed middleweights and lightheavy weight champion of the world. 46 and 0..record 23 world title winning fights...record 11 years as champion...beat everyone who was put in front of him. lets not forget the amazing music man enzo too. and his tin hut in the newbridge valleys....what a guy what a family what an achievements..joe couldnt have achieved any more..truly the pride of wales

wilf wooler- the late great wilf wooler lived the life of 10 men..10 great men...a legendary war hero captured by the japanese saved many lives in battle and survived the war ...he  played for cardiff rfc and cambridge blue.. had 16 welsh caps..INCLUDING DEFEATING THE 1935 ALL BLACKS...14 years as captain of glamorgan cricket club...all rounder..(over 13000 runs , nearly 1000 wickets).captained glammie to the championship in 1948 (they became the best fielding side british cricket had ever seen) ..turned down england caps due to business co9mmitments... chairman/secretary for 30 yeears...england selector...legendary bbc broadcaster/commentator (on the sobers 6 sixes at st helens and the next glamorgan championship)wrote for the telegraph...oh by the way he also plaayed for cardiff city football club scored a hat trick...represented wales at squash too...in his spare time lol
unbelievable man

billy boston- the tiger of tiger bay
the greatest try scorer in the history of rugby
571 career tries.LOL
488 games 478 tries.Shocked for wigan
24 in 31 for great britain
1 game for pontypridd and the northern scouts had seen enough lol
another gentle ginat in the mould of john charles and tommy farr
theres some tv footage of the big man on the hoof...awesome

tommy farr. the tonypandy terror. the welsh warrior. yet another coal mining welsh world champion (see jimmy wilde/howard winstone etc)british and empire champion and contender to joe louis at yankee stadium...for heavyweight championshio of the world. he fought so many amateur fights Im not sure theyve finished counting them. with the amateur and pro fights its estimated to be over 300 fights..greatest win over max baer and walter eusel.then there was the greatest ever fight with the greatest ever boxer in his own backyard at his peak....the brown bomber remarked tommy farr had a face like a dug up road and was told the scars all over tommy farr at the wiegh in were from "wrestling with tigers butty." yrs later he regained welsh title...made a load of money lost much of it..but he never lost an ounce of love and respect.. he took us on a journey into fantasy land...he did boxing punditry for years when reg ggutteridge asked him about louis..hed reply" warm me when youre going to mention his name...it makes my bones shiver..." hard beyond compare beyond comprehension..and a gentle giant.

ryan giggs. 890 man utd games(all time record at the worlds biggest club). 64 welsh caps.173 career goals. 12 premierships (all time record) 33 trophies (the most in the history of european football probabbly a world record too) credited with most goal asists in recorded football history. its estimate he has either scored or created a goal (given scoring pass) in over 600 goals in his 900 games...never sent off at man utd...longest lasting longest serving most successful british player of all time...has raised millions for unicef and has taken several coaching badges with a view to maybe coaching wales one day..may represent great britain at olympics and may add olympic medal to collection

colin jackson. double world champion. 4 time european champion,double commonwealth champion. olympic silder medallist, world record holder. world indoor champion,european indoor champion
since retiring hes been a coach , broadcaster and ambassador. written 3 books, been involved in several tv documentaries. A champion, a tremendous athlete, awesome professional and a great role model in all that he does

gareth edwards. simply the greatest rugby player of all time.
a professional athlete before his time
53 straight welsh caps and 10 lions caps 21 test tries.
scorer of the greatest try ever scored and a few of the greatest individual efforts too
key man in the greatest ever rugby teams the 1971 lions and the 1974 invincible lions.
edwards beat everyone in his career he won 3 grand slams and several other championships..
since retiring hes been heavily involed at cardiff rugby and cardiff blues...is allegedly a business millionaire...loads of tv work ..even has a british record for angling

more to follow

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 10:34pm
David Beckham - for all he's done in sport and all the charity work he does.  One hell of an ambassador for the UK.

Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Turkish Fez View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkish Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 11:33pm
Apart from Clive Woodward and Ian McGeechan have there been any other rugby knighthoods, its late and my brain is full.
We all had Doctor's papers!
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

David Beckham - for all he's done in sport and all the charity work he does.  One hell of an ambassador for the UK.

he will get his K any day I wouldnt worry about that...
Im really drawing attention to the many legends who have been overlooked.....Im more interested in the truly great sportsmen/women overlooked for knighthoods... this thread really draws attention to the legends who have been overlooked........while im at it....daley thompson olympic world champion world record holding decathhlete etc etc   steve davis....now theres an ambassador for sport....stephen hendry...most successful player ever......phil the power taylor.....Id knight him tomorrow ......with a giant dart
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

he will get his K any day I wouldnt worry about that...
Im really drawing attention to the many legends who have been overlooked.....Im more interested in the truly great sportsmen/women overlooked for knighthoods... this thread really draws attention to the legends who have been overlooked........while im at it....daley thompson olympic world champion world record holding decathhlete etc etc   steve davis....now theres an ambassador for sport....stephen hendry...most successful player ever......phil the power taylor.....Id knight him tomorrow ......with a giant dart
Willie Carson - great jockey and still going strong....Terry Griffiths - former world champion, coaches players and is heavily involved in snooked within Llanelli and surrounding area.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 11:49pm
Aye griff has done a load since retiring.....also ray reardon the 6 time world champ former miner former copper...brilliant entertainer and went on to coach ronnie osullivan to win world title....cliff wilson was legend too maybe not knighthood material but hell of a boy
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2011 at 7:06am
Richard Parks !

If Rannulph Fiennes has got one, Parksy's has to be "nailed on" !
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2011 at 7:16am
I had the pleasure of knowing the Big Man John Charles, bumping into him a number of times at weddings & funerals... Absolute gent with the kids, I remember his boys, Terry (ex Cardiff RFC) & Jeremy (ex Oxford Utd & Wales) having a disagreement over playing Rugby or Football in the field after a get together, then seeing my Father crying with laughter as Big John Refereed a game of football with a Rugby Ball ...
It's a shame he was misled & taken advantage of, as his nature would never allow him to say no !
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2011 at 9:37am
johnny koloi
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2011 at 11:55am
I disagree with the whole thing of it
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2011 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

I had the pleasure of knowing the Big Man John Charles, bumping into him a number of times at weddings & funerals... Absolute gent with the kids, I remember his boys, Terry (ex Cardiff RFC) & Jeremy (ex Oxford Utd & Wales) having a disagreement over playing Rugby or Football in the field after a get together, then seeing my Father crying with laughter as Big John Refereed a game of football with a Rugby Ball ...
It's a shame he was misled & taken advantage of, as his nature would never allow him to say no !
jeremy is mel's son not john,
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2011 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

I disagree with the whole thing of it

why???
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2011 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

jeremy is mel's son not john,

You're quite right my mistake ...  
however, I rarely ever saw Jeremy with Mel (his dad) he was always with John & Mel (Terry's brother & ex RL player) & although distant cousins we were never close as a Familly. We saw more of John, when he opened his Sports shop in Rhiwbina Cardiff ... (he never let me pay for boots, along with many other kids, which may have contributed somewhat to his business failing eventually)!
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2011 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Turkish Fez Turkish Fez wrote:

Apart from Clive Woodward and Ian McGeechan have there been any other rugby knighthoods, its late and my brain is full.

I always found Clive Woodward's knighthood to be odd as every single world cup winning coach with the exception of the South African pair (Christie and White) have been eligible for KBEs as Commonwealth citizens yet only the English coach got one. Strange.

As for players, Gareth Edwards' ommission is a disgrace (I believe he has a CBE).

It seems rather arbitary anyway - why Sir Chris Hoy and Dame Kelly Holmes for winning 2 gold medals but not Dame Rebecca Addlington?

I suppose your face must fit or we'd have Sir Phil "the power" Taylor.

What about Sir Ray Reardon, Sir Steve Davis or Sir Stephen Hendry?

rolly View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2011 at 8:55pm
Joe calzaghe should definately have one . Probably the greatest british boxer ever .
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2011 at 8:57pm
It's also possible that a couple of the people mentioned rejected an honour.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic