Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sources

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 28>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 3:13pm
Putting it mildly, Campbell Johnstone would have been a far worse signing than any of those I listed. He barely played for Biarritz this season.

Cilliers is probably on a par with Nel and better than the others while judging by CV and number of top level appearances alone I'd say Adriaanse is comparable with White and Mailiau. 

All of them would IMO be an improvement on the other tight heads on our books! 
Sponsored Links

BBledd View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBledd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

To be honest Bbledd I'm not in a position to disagree, but Dan's post above seems to indicate more than one of them could have been a useful addition. Lets hope things aren't slipping away from us
i fully agree with bbledd on this. whilst its true that some tight heads have been signed around the world, nel is the only one i would have been happy with. We have gone after quality. been close with one who just failed a medical, then theres cilliers. he is still not out of the reckoning. just because he is in the SA squad means nothing. De Villiers still played for SA whilst with Munster, ulsters scrum half still in SA squad. So lets just be patient. there are two tightheads being strongly linked and coaches HOPED to make announcements the second week of august...which we are now in. so lets wait and see what comes of the next week or so.

We have more tightheads on the books than looseheads anyway!

Deacon Manu, Peter Edwards, Samson Lee, and the use of Rhodri Jones which i believe will become succesful but will not happen over night.

on the loose, rhodri jones and phil john and evans whos out for 4 months.

Not denying the numbers at TH, and am mindful of the people we are linked with. But, we do need one top class TH to have any realistic aspirations. And as time slips on, Cilliers and Adriaanse look less and less likely for a variety of reasons. Hope you are righ PE SA

This is very much the case. The region have been bold and attempted to make a statement this year, so far it hasn't paid off in regards to tighthead recruitment, however it may still do.

They're putting their necks on the line and are taking what appears to be a gamble. However in my opinion they already have a player of a decent standard signed up, are waiting to see if the top class TH (possibly Cilliers, possibly another) signs as well.
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

Putting it mildly, Campbell Johnstone would have been a far worse signing than any of those I listed. He barely played for Biarritz this season.

Cilliers is probably on a par with Nel and better than the others while judging by CV and number of top level appearances alone I'd say Adriaanse is comparable with White and Mailiau. 

How do you come to that conclusion? He didn't play much for Biarritz in his final season because of injury. In the two previous seasons he was first choice in a very good Biarritz pack. If he'd have been able to overcome that injury and get back to full fitness he would've been an excellent signing. Certainly better than most if not all the props you named.
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by BBledd BBledd wrote:

To be honest Bbledd I'm not in a position to disagree, but Dan's post above seems to indicate more than one of them could have been a useful addition. Lets hope things aren't slipping away from us
i fully agree with bbledd on this. whilst its true that some tight heads have been signed around the world, nel is the only one i would have been happy with. We have gone after quality. been close with one who just failed a medical, then theres cilliers. he is still not out of the reckoning. just because he is in the SA squad means nothing. De Villiers still played for SA whilst with Munster, ulsters scrum half still in SA squad. So lets just be patient. there are two tightheads being strongly linked and coaches HOPED to make announcements the second week of august...which we are now in. so lets wait and see what comes of the next week or so.

Deacon Manu, Peter Edwards, Samson Lee, and the use of Rhodri Jones which i believe will become succesful but will not happen over night.

Not denying the numbers at TH, and am mindful of the people we are linked with. But, we do need one top class TH to have any realistic aspirations. And as time slips on, Cilliers and Adriaanse look less and less likely for a variety of reasons. Hope you are righ PE SA

This is very much the case. The region have been bold and attempted to make a statement this year, so far it hasn't paid off in regards to tighthead recruitment, however it may still do.

They're putting their necks on the line and are taking what appears to be a gamble. However in my opinion they already have a player of a decent standard signed up, are waiting to see if the top class TH (possibly Cilliers, possibly another) signs as well.
Ermmpleeasse let it be true. One way or the other I need an answer if only to stop all these threads I am compelled to read, then we can start the critical threads about our new signings and how they have not lived up to our expectationsLOL
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 3:36pm

Didn't London Welsh pick up a Romanian Tight head from the Top 14 also?

Paulica Ion

We're signing his twin brother .......

Rowenta !
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

How do you come to that conclusion? He didn't play much for Biarritz in his final season because of injury. In the two previous seasons he was first choice in a very good Biarritz pack. If he'd have been able to overcome that injury and get back to full fitness he would've been an excellent signing. Certainly better than most if not all the props you named.

In the context of his injury he would have been a worse signing than those listed. Obviously fully fit and in form he would have been a good signing, but he clearly wasn't. TBH I still don't entirely know why we got so far down the road with him given his recent record.
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 3:50pm
August 7th, no props signed and the rumoured targets have fallen one by one. Johnstone, Cilliers, and now it seems Adriaanse. If we've do sign 2 bok props, they wont be anyone who's played super rugby by the looks of things and any such signings would smack of desperation if you ask me.
Trying to cling on to some hope here but it gets worse as every day goes by. Its seems now to be the case that if we do manage to get a signature then what quality of prop will be getting? We should never buy a prop wandering whether they can scrummage at H Cup level or not. But its got to the stage now that anyone will better than no-one at all.
Rhodri - Tight head/loose head? Highly likely to be away with Wales
Deacs
Pete
Phil John
Rob Evs - Injured
Samson -
North Wales prop
The last 3 should only really be used sparingly, couple of benches and LV. certainly not scrummaging against Leinster or Clermont.

PS. Note that Joel Galley, Craig Price and Richard Kelly are named in the Scarlets squad which is now updated for this season.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 3:52pm

not saying at all that we dont need a quality TH at all, but my point is that we could still have one but he may not come until the season has already started. i think the props we currently have can more than hold their own in the first block of the season whilst the newcomers can gear up for the HC.
but the coaches have gone on record saying that hoped to sign before the leinster game, IF its cilliers, he may just join us after the quad nations thats all, the same with vallejos.

the part in bold i fully agree on BBledd
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

August 7th, no props signed and the rumoured targets have fallen one by one. Johnstone, Cilliers, and now it seems Adriaanse. If we've do sign 2 bok props, they wont be anyone who's played super rugby by the looks of things and any such signings would smack of desperation if you ask me.
Trying to cling on to some hope here but it gets worse as every day goes by. Its seems now to be the case that if we do manage to get a signature then what quality of prop will be getting? We should never buy a prop wandering whether they can scrummage at H Cup level or not. But its got to the stage now that anyone will better than no-one at all.
Deacs
Pete
Phil John
Rob Evs - Injured
Samson -
North Wales prop
The last 3 should only really be used sparingly, couple of benches and LV. certainly not scrummaging against Leinster or Clermont.

PS. Note that Joel Galley, Craig Price and Richard Kelly are named in the Scarlets squad which is now updated for this season.
Where are you getting that Adriaanse has fallen through from?
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 3:59pm

Deacs
Pete
Phil John
Rob Evs - Injured
Samson -
North Wales prop

Joel Galley - Really hope his injuries are behind him as he has great potential.

Richard Kelly - Never seen him play i dont think, but seen him few times down the Parc and is a pretty big lump! he was signed for easterby to "take a closer look at", he must have impressed if he is in the squad.

Craig Price - Was unlucky to have picked up an injury before the LV started last season otherwise he would have been involved. can play 6, 7 and 8 has also played couple of semi pro games at lock. Im chuffed he's in the squad.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:02pm

Deacs
Pete
Phil John
Rob Evs - Injured
Samson -
North Wales prop

I think they've missed Daniel Thomas out of the squad by mistake.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:02pm
Lions coach Johan Ackermann announced his 2012 Currie Cup squad to defend the title they won in 2011.

"It includes some of our injured players who will return during the campaign," Ackermann said in Johannesburg.

"There are also some players coming back into training who can work themselves back into the squad.

"We look forward to the season and trust that we will play a good brand of rugby that will make our supporters proud."

The squad:

Forwards:

Jacobie Adriaanse, Ruan Botha, Willie Britz, Ruan Dreyer, Francois du Toit, Cobus Grobbelaar, JC Janse van Rensburg (c), Jaco Kriel, Derick Minnie, Caylib Oosthuizen, Hendrik Roodt, Joshua Strauss, CJ van der Linde, Franco van der Merwe, Callie Visagie, Warren Whiteley,

Backs:

Michael Bondesio, Andries Coetzee, Ruan Combrinck, Guy Cronje, Ross Cronje, JR Esterhuizen, Deon Helberg, Alwyn Hollenbach, Butch James, James Kamana, Lionel Mapoe, Waylon Murray, Jaco Taute, Deon van Rensburg, Anthony Volmink.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:05pm

Lions coach Johan Ackermann announced his 2012 Currie Cup squad to defend the title they won in 2011.

"It includes some of our injured players who will return during the campaign," Ackermann said in Johannesburg.

"There are also some players coming back into training who can work themselves back into the squad.

"We look forward to the season and trust that we will play a good brand of rugby that will make our supporters proud."

The squad:

Forwards:

Jacobie Adriaanse, Ruan Botha, Willie Britz, Ruan Dreyer, Francois du Toit, Cobus Grobbelaar, JC Janse van Rensburg (c), Jaco Kriel, Derick Minnie, Caylib Oosthuizen, Hendrik Roodt, Joshua Strauss, CJ van der Linde, Franco van der Merwe, Callie Visagie, Warren Whiteley,

Backs:

Michael Bondesio, Andries Coetzee, Ruan Combrinck, Guy Cronje, Ross Cronje, JR Esterhuizen, Deon Helberg, Alwyn Hollenbach, Butch James, James Kamana, Lionel Mapoe, Waylon Murray, Jaco Taute, Deon van Rensburg, Anthony Volmink.

Didn't see that mate. Maybe he will arrive after the Currie Cup.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:13pm
Currie Cup Final 13 October 2012.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:29pm
Would be nice if the club announced that Iongi has left and not keave us wondering where he is at the start of the season!!!
dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:37pm

The squad:

Forwards:

Backs:

Oh jeez, this seasons recruitment is possibly most important management decision of the last few years and it looks as if we've properly screwed it up! Angry

I felt we had a big chance this season with the right players being brought in, now it looks like its going to be deja vu. I wonder how our international back line, many of whom have contracts expiring soon feel??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 28>
  Share Topic