FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Os V Ulster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Os V Ulster
    Posted: 10 September 2012 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

the one i find most bizarre is the release of Kristian Phillips and Tom Prydie! With 3 wingers on the books, its very strange indeed. Eli Walker is ok, a decent prospect, Dirksen is strong and knows where the try line is then theres Tom Isaacs, who is no winger! He wasa scrum half, then Scott Johnson got his hands on him to play him centre, that didnt work out and now he's wing???

they obviously slashed the wage bill but it just looks like bad management when you see how threadbare they are in the backs.

they have a forward game but if you beat or match them up front, youve got a great chance against them.

In the past they played badly and won, they relied far too much on a piece of individual play from Hook, Shane or an interception by Bowe. Now they have no match winner. none at all. i guess some would argue that Biggar could kick them to victory but his all round game aint great and he could be over taken by Matthew Morgan this season. (i doubt it for many reasons but it is a possibility).

Our game against them will be no different to when we have played them in the past. it is a derby and form really goes out the window. It will not be an easy match at all. but win the battle upfront and we will be fine. more than fine. lose it upfront, and it will be a very tough afternoon.

Bring em on mate....
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Sponsored Links

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 4:54pm
the one i find most bizarre is the release of Kristian Phillips and Tom Prydie! With 3 wingers on the books, its very strange indeed. Eli Walker is ok, a decent prospect, Dirksen is strong and knows where the try line is then theres Tom Isaacs, who is no winger! He wasa scrum half, then Scott Johnson got his hands on him to play him centre, that didnt work out and now he's wing???

they obviously slashed the wage bill but it just looks like bad management when you see how threadbare they are in the backs.

they have a forward game but if you beat or match them up front, youve got a great chance against them.

In the past they played badly and won, they relied far too much on a piece of individual play from Hook, Shane or an interception by Bowe. Now they have no match winner. none at all. i guess some would argue that Biggar could kick them to victory but his all round game aint great and he could be over taken by Matthew Morgan this season. (i doubt it for many reasons but it is a possibility).

Our game against them will be no different to when we have played them in the past. it is a derby and form really goes out the window. It will not be an easy match at all. but win the battle upfront and we will be fine. more than fine. lose it upfront, and it will be a very tough afternoon.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

Originally posted by Scarletrover Scarletrover wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

The main reason the Ospreys won the league last season must have been mainly because their squad was so good surely? The world cup, autumn internationals and 6 nations crippled most teams.

Whereas this year, they will be te ones to be most affected because of the dearth of quality options in their squad when the front-line players depart.

You also need to factor in the departures over the summer.

12 departures over the summer - including Shane, Bowe, Walker, Bennett, James, Barry and Parker.

And only 1 player bought in.

IMO 5 of those departures over the summer would be playing NOW in place of the current players, making the side a far better one.

Its their own fault..

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 3:45pm

The main reason the Ospreys won the league last season must have been mainly because their squad was so good surely? The world cup, autumn internationals and 6 nations crippled most teams.

Whereas this year, they will be te ones to be most affected because of the dearth of quality options in their squad when the front-line players depart.

12 departures over the summer - including Shane, Bowe, Walker, Bennett, James, Barry and Parker.

IMO 5 of those departures over the summer would be playing NOW in place of the current players, making the side a far better one.

Fair point but they were internationals who didn't play most of the season. The thing is this year is all teams have full squads. Apart from Wales when the fundraisers are played.

True for last season, but I dare say they would have played this season.  Barry is far better than Fussell at FB, James is miles better than Bevington, Bennett is better than Hibbard (I know he's injures ATM!! Wink) and Shane and Bowe would probably have played either one or both of the games so far.

The winger thay have at the moment are pants!! LOLWink

I do really sympathize with the O's ref Kailoui and Stowers...after the RWC they looked like absolutely outstanding signings...now they look more like pay check players every time I see them. For neither of them to start in a match like last Saturdasy speaks volumes really.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Despite their heroics at the end of last season, they go into this with a threadbare squad which, from what we have seen so far, will struggle more than in previous seasons. Some degree of consistency by us, a couple of wins over them, and some solid recruitment would be an indication to me, and perhaps many others, that change was taking place. Hell of a long way to go admittedly, but this is the first season for quite some time where we have witnessed such signiificant changes in both camps and at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Good post and I fully agree. I just feel we still have a monkey to get off our backs (excuse the pun).
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

That said, there is a bigger issue here than just the game, and that is perhaps us putting down a marker that the balance of power may have slightly shifted down west.

The balance of power will only shift when we win the league in my opinion. Teams are judged on silverware, not one off results. It's time we won a trophy.

I'm talking about a shift in powerbases rather than us usurping them as champions, and I mention the game against them in the context of wider considerations, such as financial woes, form, recruitment and expectation for the season.

Despite their heroics at the end of last season, they go into this with a threadbare squad which, from what we have seen so far, will struggle more than in previous seasons. Some degree of consistency by us, a couple of wins over them, and some solid recruitment would be an indication to me, and perhaps many others, that change was taking place. Hell of a long way to go admittedly, but this is the first season for quite some time where we have witnessed such signiificant changes in both camps and at opposite ends of the spectrum.
#George
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 12:45pm

Fair point but they were internationals who didn't play most of the season. The thing is this year is all teams have full squads. Apart from Wales when the fundraisers are played.
True for last season, but I dare say they would have played this season.  Barry is far better than Fussell at FB, James is miles better than Bevington, Bennett is better than Hibbard (I know he's injures ATM!! Wink) and Shane and Bowe would probably have played either one or both of the games so far.

The winger thay have at the moment are pants!! LOLWink
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 12:40pm

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 12:31pm
I think it was 16 out and 2 in...not that its that relevant mate as the point is a fair one..and it does follow a period where other first choice players left the club in the previous campaign ..Holah, Collins, Hook et al.
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 12:22pm

Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

If we are unbeaten after the O's game then I do believe the "WINNING MENTALITY" that has eluded us in recent years will make a return ... The "lost by one or two points" syndrome & "failure to close games out" tag will disappear !

Confidence is Key !

Im.confident.

scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 12:14pm
If we are unbeaten after the O's game then I do believe the "WINNING MENTALITY" that has eluded us in recent years will make a return ... The "lost by one or two points" syndrome & "failure to close games out" tag will disappear !

Confidence is Key !
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Scarletrover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 12:12pm

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 12:03pm

That said, there is a bigger issue here than just the game, and that is perhaps us putting down a marker that the balance of power may have slightly shifted down west.

The balance of power will only shift when we win the league in my opinion. Teams are judged on silverware, not one off results. It's time we won a trophy.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 11:41am
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

That's what I meant by 'rarely' mun...

Alright you know i dont read the small print mate...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic