Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'72 ..Where are they now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 5:32pm
Yeah i know Roy was but what about Roger Davies
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Sponsored Links

Vulcan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vulcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Delme even though he has retired still goes and works for his friend who is a builder each day.
 i hope he declares it or a certain french resident may shop him.Wink

I never dropped Peter Morgan in the pwp for dragging the coal lorry round Harford, so why would I say anything about my No 1 Scarlet?
Now some of the shady guys at the triangle of the 3 Counties are another thingLOL
Ow! View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ow! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

I see Tony Crocker at home games. He has a seat in S9.
Don't know about Roy Thomas and Barrie Llewellyn.
Delme is retired according to a recent documentary.
DQ still attends matches
Hefin Jenkins is on the Board.
Gareth Jenkins is head of recruitment at the Scarlets.
Don't know about Tom David.
JJ runs his own painting and decorating company near Bridgend.
Ray has sadly left us.
Phil Bennet does radio commentary and media work.
Roy Bergiers is retired and was on the radio last week.
Don't know about Roger Davies, Andy Hill, and Chico Hopkins.

Andy Hill lives in Llewitha - top bloke. Mind you, the last time I spoke to him he didn't seem to have much time for Llanelli RFC/The Scarlets. I'd be surprised if he attended the 40th anniversary dinner - shame.
Gentlemen, gentlemen, I'll never understand. A world of knowledge at your fingertips, and you play poker all night.

lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by sioni77 sioni77 wrote:

What all these achieved was priceless-but how much would these be worth today?

When these players won, no one at the ground thought or believed no other Welsh side would achieve the same feat. If Wales did beat NZ those players would be adored and rewarded handsomely.

The Scarlet team at the time did it for pride, their Town and friends and family and for that every player is a hero for life.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
BaraBrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaraBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 9:06pm
Roger Davies lives in the Mumbles and is a retired teacher i believe.

Roy Thomas lives in Penclawdd and follows the local rugby team. His brother is the 2nd team coach. Always have great chat's with Roy, really character.
blueslaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueslaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

[QUOTE=sioni77]

The Scarlet team at the time did it for pride, their Town and friends and family and for that every player is a hero for life.

Clap

Well said Lofty - all of the Welsh grounds had their own unique atmosphere - and  in those days the atmosphere at Stradey was electric. I couldn't sleep for days when I knew I was going there. The pride of the players (and the crowd) was tangible - it sent tingles down my spine - and everything was condensed by being squeezed into that battered old ground.

Happy days - wonderful days. Wonderful players - as you say, they were all heroes
Blueslaw
Bryn A! Wel! View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryn A! Wel! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 7:15am
The B Llewelyn of Egwyswrw garage, and fencing fame, is not Barrie, and as far as i know not a close relative.

Almost equally legendary though, Brian Llewelyn  is a big figure in life around North Pembs. He is credited with restoring Tafarn Sinc, IIRC - an iconic pub in Rosebush.
Fy nheml sy'n yr Emlyn
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 2:38pm
Carwyn would have been 83 at the end of this week
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 2:47pm
Gwyn Ashby is still living in Ammanford. great guy, he drinks in my regular in Pantyffynnon. use to work with my Dad.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Bryn A! Wel! Bryn A! Wel! wrote:

The B Llewelyn of Egwyswrw garage, and fencing fame, is not Barrie, and as far as i know not a close relative.

Almost equally legendary though, Brian Llewelyn  is a big figure in life around North Pembs. He is credited with restoring Tafarn Sinc, IIRC - an iconic pub in Rosebush.

Thanks for the info - I can stop wondering now!

Interesting note on Brian - thanks for that, too - I saw both brothers play many moons ago.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic