Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets and Ulster teams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 1:20pm
That Ulster team is surprising, thought they'd go all guns blazing in this one. We need to target their t/h who isn't the best although they have got Afoa on the bench.....

We might be able to sneak a LBP in this one!
Sponsored Links

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 1:30pm
Sorry I actually had to do what I get paid to do this morning Embarrassed and missed it.

Seeing the squad I suddenly don't want to watch the game.
Samsam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samsam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 1:31pm
Henderson missing aswell... anyone know why? IRFU directives?

Ulster team isn't quite as strong as I thought it would be esp the front row, but at least Afoa is on the bench. Scarlets team looks decent.
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 1:36pm

Our injury list is pretty significant for this game, although most don't appear to be too serious.

Liam Williams
Jordan Williams
Gareth Owen (suspension)
Morgan Stoddart
Rhys Priestland
Ken Owens
Matthew Rees
Samson Lee
George Earle
Johan Snyman
Aaron Shingler
Kieron Murphy

BRulster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Samsam Samsam wrote:

Henderson missing aswell... anyone know why?
Form (hopefully)
www.stoutboys.co.uk
multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 1:39pm
So 9 out of our best 23 missing then?
Liam Williams
Morgan Stoddart
Rhys Priestland

Ken Owens
Matthew Rees
Samson Lee
George Earle
Johan Snyman
Aaron Shingler
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 1:39pm
The New Year carries on where the old one left off. Plenty of polarity of opinion.......
I'll be watching the TV tomorrow with hope for a good, level playing field, type of competitive match, super reffing and us pulling the fat out of the fire with an unpredictably excellent performance and result.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

Liam Williams
Morgan Stoddart
Rhys Priestland

Ken Owens
Matthew Rees
Samson Lee
George Earle
Johan Snyman
Aaron Shingler

That does explain a lot of the selections - the pack is particularly hard hit. Ulster's squad is also quite a few players short of their best. Realistically, I doubt we'll get anything - but if we turn up with more fire than v the Os, who knows?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GwentScarlet2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GwentScarlet2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 1:50pm
I quite like the look of our team !

Newton will offer a good tactical kicking game from FB but could be
exposed under the high ball

North will just be North, I think that's all I need to say

I like the idea of Maule in the centre as he is Mr.Dependable and wont do anything out of the ordinary but what he will do is the basics very well and wont make many errors which is crucial. leave Jon to do all the special things such as line breaks etc.

One area im not 100% sure on is Kristian on the wing, I suppose he is a x factor player with his speed and acceleration and if given space could be deadly

Aled will be solid as usual and will be just like Maule and give his all and Aled will also try get us playing in the correct areas of the field

Tavis back at 9 is a great call as he will be our 4th back rower and that is what we need against Ulster. also he is a very good tactical kicker and accompany him with Dan and Aled we could be seeing our team in the right areas of the field

Rob, Josh and Jonny in the back row looks quite a good combination and we have that '7' who will try turn over and slow ball down which could become a crucial facet of the game. I expect plenty of tackling and ball carrying from Josh and Rob to get us over the gain line on a regular basis

Timani and Kelly is a interesting combination which I also think is a new combination from what I can recall. this combination will be a good one I feel with the tactical and workhorse approach of Kelly and the size and power of Timani. lets hope these two show plenty of dog and work from the first whistle and stake a claim to be playing week in week out

Phil, Emyr and Jacobie is quite a good unit in my opinion because Emyr is the 2nd strongest scrummager in the region and I feel Jacobie is an excellent player who thrives for scrums and is also a very good ball carrier and fits in with our open and expansive type of play and again as you get with Maule you get the same with Phil and that is 100% and he will do his all not to let the region down

we also have a experienced bench to call apon with the likes of Rhodri, Matthew, Vallejos (spelling), Scott etc.

All in all I think we can do this !

We have enough leaders in the team with the likes of Jon, Rob, Maule, Phil, Jonny and leaders to come off the bench !

COME ON SCARLETS THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO SHINE AND SHOW THE LEAGUE WHAT YOU ARE CAPABLE OF !
multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

Liam Williams
Morgan Stoddart
Rhys Priestland

Ken Owens
Matthew Rees
Samson Lee
George Earle
Johan Snyman
Aaron Shingler

That does explain a lot of the selections - the pack is particularly hard hit. Ulster's squad is also quite a few players short of their best. Realistically, I doubt we'll get anything - but if we turn up with more fire than v the Os, who knows?

Outside of those 9 I still think we have made a mistake not picking Ball,Where is Fenby? and imo we have stronger options on the bench.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
GwentScarlet2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GwentScarlet2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 1:54pm
The key to this game is controlled aggression and being clinical I feel
Dyf17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyf17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 1:55pm
Hi guys, anyone going to ulster away with two spare tickets i could buy? its a sell out!
bazlewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 1:59pm
I posted a few days ago that I thought Ulster may still rest players for next weeks game against Glasgow where they will look for a 5 point result. Mind you I still think they are to strong for the side we put out. Also with our injurys I would bet money that the short term injured will be fit for the 6 nations.
To be a Scarlet is as good as it gets
UlsterMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UlsterMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 2:04pm
Sorry guys, but that's still a very strong Ulster team for you to play - the backs are as strong as we can make them (Payne has a niggly injury).

In fact, I'd say that is the strongest team we could play. Payne is injured (replaced by D'Arcy), Best is rested by the IRFU (replaced by Herring), Afoa is just back from NZ (replaced by Macklin). Only exception is Henderson who appears to have gone AWOL.

D'Arcy is only just back from injury, yet has had two solid games and is still finding his form, so he's looking good. Herring is a terrier around the pitch. Macklin played quite well v Munster last weekend and is showing good potential.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 2:25pm
I disagree with some of his selection, im glad hes finally seen the error of his ways and picked knoyle again with cawdor as back up, I think phillips is worth a punt too, but Id have picked smiler , rhodri (if he fit get him in hes out best loosehead), vallejos (give the man a chance) and scott to start. (though I agree maule is a more than adequate replacement and has shown some form)
I feel easterbys poor selection will cost us the game and any chance of a bonus point
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 2:29pm
Foxy playing 12 - could be a key change there for our backs.

No disrespect to Scott - who I thought had a pretty good game v O's, but surely he'll produce some line breaks against the Ulster defence?? With North coming off his wing in support it COULD be a fruitful day for our backs.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic