Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stoddart retires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stoddart retires
    Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:39pm
Confirmed.
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
Sponsored Links

InTheBath View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InTheBath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:40pm
Very sad news.
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:40pm

Scarlets' Morgan Stoddart forced to retire through injury

Scarlets and Wales fullback Morgan Stoddart has announced that he will retire from rugby following the serious leg double fracture he sustained playing for Wales against England in August 2011. Stoddart has been unable to make a full recovery since sustaining the injury before the 2011 Rugby World Cup, and which subsequently kept him out of the game for the whole of last season. Stoddart, 28, who has appeared 85 times in a Scarlets shirt and scored 130 points for his regional club has been one of the Scarlets' most prolific back three players with spells on the wing as well as his favoured fullback position. Recognised as one of Scarlets' x-factor players and one of their most prolific and attacking back three names, he joined the Scarlets in the 2006/2007, making his debut against Edinburgh on 5th January 2007, and scored a 25-yard try against Ulster in his second ever game in January 2007 in the Heineken Cup - a habit he continued with 26 tries to his name during his seven years with the Scarlets. Stoddart returned to action this season in October 2012 following over a year of treatment and detailed individual rehab work with the Scarlets medical team. His first game back was against the Newport Gwent Dragons where he scored his last try in a Scarlets shirt. Stoddart, who was born in Trealaw in the Rhondda, started his rugby career with his home club Treorchy before joining Pontypridd. After he joined the Scarlets he was immediately rewarded with Principality Premiership Player of the Year that season for his contribution to Llanelli RFC. He cemented his place at full back for the Scarlets during the 2007/8 season earning his call-up to Wales for the Autumn Internationals with a try-scoring debut on 14th November 2007 against South Africa. He secured eight caps for his country and was well on the way to his first Rugby World Cup when the injury occurred. Stoddart said: "It is with real sadness that I have to announce my retirement from rugby and it has been a difficult few months as I come to terms with the fact that I was not going to return to full fitness. I have been very fortunate to play for the Scarlets and Wales and have enjoyed every game in my professional career working alongside some brilliant fellow professionals. "I worked as hard as possible in the year I was off to get back on the pitch and that can be a difficult period for any injured player mentally, as well as physically, but I was determined to get back to playing. "But ever since I've been back on the field I've had significant pain in the leg throughout and that has not improved. Following a series of medical tests and consultations, detailed scans and strength tests, I've been advised that I cannot continue." Stoddart said it was tough to have to give up his rugby career but easier to an extent because the choice was taken out of his hands. "It's not easy to give up your rugby career but when it really is impossible to carry on you just have to accept it and get on with it. "I have some great memories that I will never forget and the Scarlets and all our supporters have been fantastic over the years. It was an honour to play in the Scarlets shirt, with all the great names that have been part of our region throughout our history and a pleasure to play in front of our Scarlets supporters who are the life and soul of our region. "I will miss all the spirit and passion of Scarlets rugby and the level of commitment and hard work the players put in for our region and its supporters of which I have been proud to have been a part. "I'm grateful for all the great opportunities and experiences I have had in my rugby career and there are many brilliant memories including the Heineken Cup with the Scarlets and playing for my country. Stoddart thanked all those who have worked with him: "I owe a great amount to the physios and doctors who have given me so much time and commitment to help try and get my leg right, without their support and encouragement it could have been a dark 14 months in recovery. "I would also like to thank all the coaches I have worked with from my first games in the Rhondda up to international level." As for life after rugby, Stoddart who studied bio-chemistry said: "I'll have to adapt and it's important to give yourself time to consider things in the future after such an intense life playing rugby but I have already started thinking ahead and there are many exciting opportunities for me related to my career to look at and take forward which will keep me occupied now."

Stoddart has been offered support and advice for his future career aspirations both by the WRU and the Scarlets.

Scarlets Head Coach Simon Easterby said: "It is very disappointing for Morgan and for all the Scarlets team and our supporters to see a player of his ability and quality forced to retire early.

"He's been a player of real class and quality within our regional ranks ever since he joined the Scarlets and a player that you can rely on to make a difference in games and give you an edge. He has worked so hard to try and recover from this horrific injury and credit to him for even getting that close, that shows his great mental strength and commitment.

"We are very sorry to see him go and every one of the team and I am sure all our supporters wish him all our very best in his future life off the field and as Scarlets we will support him as much as we can in whatever he chooses to do."

Head of the Scarlets medical team, Andrew Walker explained it was a particularly serious double fracture with a number of professional sportsmen who have suffered the same also being forced to retire from their sport. He said: "It was a very bad injury in terms of the extent of the damage done and what the surgery had to do to restore his leg.

"Morgan did very well and worked hard to get back with a year of detailed individual rehabilitation including anti-gravity treadmill training. Since that time, we have been managing his workload and the pressure on the leg very carefully with GPS measurements of exactly how much distance he'd done and we have consistently strength and speed tested him. But he was experiencing significant pain at every step of his recovery and that has not improved or abaited ever since.

New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:44pm
Huge blow.

I'd like to wish Morgan all the best in his future.

And a great thank you for many wonderful memories of attacking rugby.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:44pm
gutted for the lad,so much promise unfulfilled due to horrific luck with injuries.
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:44pm
Pob lwc, Morgan. Diolch am bopeth.
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:46pm
Very sad news for Morgan.

Huge talent that will be sorely missed by all at the Scarlets - by fellow players and fans alike.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Llanelly Boy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Llanelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:46pm
Absolutely gutted, in a season where the performances on the field are going backwards, here was a player who only knew how to go forward.
One of the great players of this generation and will be remembered for his blockbusting cavalier style of running and guts. Scored some of the best Scarlet tries ive ever seen , scored a try on his Welsh debut mun, the guy is a god and we are missing him more than any other player.
He always made a difference and was my favourite players in this decade and all the years ive watched the Scarlets.

The guy has gone through hell and back and his injuries have been horrific and yet he still came back and gave it one more shot. He even started after his injury where he left off running like a gazelle with the power of a bloody Rhino.

One of the greatest Scarlet fullbacks, the saddest thing typing this is knowing i will not see the Great Morgan Stoddard in full flight and that smile on his face, i feel like bloody crying.

I wish you well Morgan in whatever you do and thanks for showing what a brilliant back should play like and all the brilliant memories.

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

merthyr.T.x.scarlets View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote merthyr.T.x.scarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:49pm
Absolutely gutted for him! the amount of injury's he has had to come back from is ridiculous! 

Pob Lwc Morgan am yr dyfodol Clap

A Huge loss to both Wales and the scarlets!
http://www.youtube.com/user/walesxscarlets
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:49pm
One of the bravest most exciting players in recent years, gutted for him. The way he lit up our opening game at Y Parc against the Barbarians will live long in my memory. Sad day. All the very best Morgan and thank you.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:51pm
Gutting.
Good luck Moggs, and thanks for all the memories!
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:53pm
Oh man, I'm sorry Morgan. All I can say is thank you for the good times and you have easily been one of the most exciting players in a Scarlets jersey in recent times. I know it must be heartbreaking to have your career cut short by injury but you did get to the top of the game and always made something interesting happen out there with ball in hand. All the best for the future.
North London Scarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote North London Scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:54pm
I think it's time... Snedds!... How about an epic tribute video!? Get all the tries and line breaks going! ;-)

All the best, Stodds. You are, without a doubt, one of the most exciting players to have donned a Scarlets jersey. Pwb lwc.

Edited by North London Scarlet - 07 January 2013 at 1:55pm
Ry'n ni yma o hyd...
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:55pm

Terribly sad news.

Best wishes for the future Morgan, watching you was always a pleasure. You epitomised passion and commitment, and everything that was good about the Scarlet brand of rugby, and we love you for it.

The try this season against the Dragons, and the way he and the fans reacted, will be the highlight of this season for me and will live long in the memory.
#George
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:59pm
Gutting. He was an incredible runner, especially before the knee injury he suffered in 2009. It used to baffle me how someone of an average build could power through solid tackles so frequently.

This is a big blow both for him and the club.  
Scarletstarch View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletstarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 2:01pm
Such sad news as one of my favourite players and will be a huge loss to Scarlets and Wales! Good Luck and best wishes Morgan for whatever your future holds for you!  StarHugUnhappy
"YMA O HYD"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic