Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > RANDOM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Llanelli Colloquialisms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 11:40pm
Remember going to my training depot in Bovingdon and asking where I sign for my daps and PE kit the storeman looked very confused and said you only get issued DAPS at your regiment they were tablets you see not trainers as I have now learnt very confusong at 16

Ee Ba Boo yes in Engerland is just rock paper scissors, my father thought he taught my kids a new game when he mentioned it they were well keen until the fist came out in the shape of a paper bag still he was cool for 10secs.

Faggots aren't as popular aither basically wales and cornwall area asked for them in Preston and nearly got a knuckle sandwich from the chippy bloke
As for rissoles exclusively Wales in my experience

Going for a shant always brought a few raised eyes when with the saes not sure if that is exclusive to Llanelli

As for Eddies chippy well worth the cycle from the Dock (after John's changed hands that is)
Sponsored Links

Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 12:06am
I want to win the lottery and buy Bargain Booze in Llan and re name it 'Shant'. My work here will then be done.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Mister Jolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister Jolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 12:40am
I met some guys from Portsmouth once.  They were well familiar with the 'shant' term, although not much good at it.
Just because my second name's Jolly, it doesn't mean I have to be jolly all the ****ing time

Jolly Tours - A jolly time for all (just keep away from the fountains)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister Jolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 12:44am
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

I want to win the lottery and buy Bargain Booze in Llan and re name it 'Shant'. My work here will then be done.

Living above an off licence.  What could be better? Wink
Just because my second name's Jolly, it doesn't mean I have to be jolly all the ****ing time

9331101972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9331101972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 11:11am
"Something must have come over him".  This is an expression that I have only heard used by Llanelli people.  If someone did something that was out of character and a bit mad, or inexplicable, outrageous or alien, the excuse that would be offered in their defence was:  "something must have come over him".  I once heard it used in an attempt to excuse Barry John for leaving LLanelli to join Cardiff!   
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 1:18pm
Anyone ever played "mob" in Llanelli?

Mob, to me, is essentially Llanelli's bastardisation of the game of hide and seek. Is that just one of our things?

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister Jolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 1:29pm
Yes, 'mob' was like hide & seek, with subtle differences, which I fail to remember.  Something to do with more points for mobbing people back at the mobber's 'base' than mobbing them where they were caught/found (I think - twas a long, long time ago!). 

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 1:50pm
Mob in our school meant that someone counted, eyes closed, against a drainpipe at the side of the school and everyone hid. Then once a person had been found, it was a race back to the drainpipe and if you got there first you were safe, but if the counter got there first you were out.

Or I've just made that up, I can't remember Confused
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by m1nd3d m1nd3d wrote:

Mob in our school meant that someone counted, eyes closed, against a drainpipe at the side of the school and everyone hid. Then once a person had been found, it was a race back to the drainpipe and if you got there first you were safe, but if the counter got there first you were out.

We played that growing up in Cardiff ! ... & of course ... "BULLDOGS" !!

Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 2:44pm

I was taught this game in the 1950s by slightly older kids, living in the Lampeter area - they called it Mob 1-2-3, so you had to shout this out if you successfully sneaked back to the base, whatever that was, without being caught by the 'on' person.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9331101972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I was taught this game in the 1950s by slightly older kids, living in the Lampeter area - they called it Mob 1-2-3, so you had to shout this out if you successfully sneaked back to the base, whatever that was, without being caught by the 'on' person.

Mixed Mob was more educational.  When you found a girl you stayed put in the undergrowth.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister Jolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 11:51pm
'Mant', as in "Fancy going for a mant tonight?"

Meaning: Going a bit quicker than you should in a car, on a motorbike, etc.

Llanelli word?  We used it quite a lot, back in the day.  Big smile

bazlewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 12:19am
I was brought up on a rough estate where only the girls played British Bulldog Scatletman. The lads played tick but with stones, instead of ticking someone you threw a stone at them only below the waist, no throwing at heads.PS I love the Llanelli accent.
To be a Scarlet is as good as it gets
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 10:29am
Going up the shaker tonight anyone?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9331101972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 8:32pm
'On the gewk'.  A description of something or a piece of work that is not level, not square, 'out', slanted, leaning to one side etc.  Any examples?  No referees please.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2013 at 9:09pm
Niblo.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic