Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fenby and North Gone, So Who Should Come In?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fenby and North Gone, So Who Should Come In?
    Posted: 06 April 2013 at 1:08pm
Any idea when Tom Biggs is out of contract? Really rate him and would love to see him down Parc y Scarlets after a decent haircut.
Sponsored Links

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Gareththeturk Gareththeturk wrote:

I was very impressed with Will Harries against us on Judgement Day
Ive always been quite impressed with him
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Gareththeturk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gareththeturk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 11:10am
I was very impressed with Will Harries against us on Judgement Day
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Couldn't care less who we sign now to be honest, this has been another testing season as a supporter, and after a white wash in the Heineken, I didn't think things could get much worse, and then we sell our biggest named player that we've had at our region for years!!! Shocked Pretty obvious that who we bring in will be no where near as good as George, quite simply because we don't have the collateral to sign and keep them, so in all honesty, I'm looking forward to the end of the season when I can have a break away from rugby and this rubbish, and watch ping pong instead! Shocked

have a thanks m8, but hey it's not all doom and gloom, he'd have only played 10 games for us next season but.......

kids can no longer say I support the scarlets because George North plays for them...Cry

Yeah I agree, it isn't doom and gloom for sure, but it doesn't stop me feeling well and truly fed up as a supporter, this season has been a testing time with a number of instances, and this latest one has just tipped the jar over with issues that have been slowly building (and not being addressed) for some time now.

I fear the repercussion of the North departure, this headline with the WRU isn't finished, and with our most potent young gun on the park leaving for pastures new at the ripe age of 20, I no longer hold any hope of being able to secure the services of our other young guns when contracts come for renewal (or before).

The tide has well and truly turned from IF they go to WHEN, and that is a hard pill to swallow, it doesn't fill you with confidence, and when you lose confidence in your region and Welsh rugby, you do ask why you bother and spend your hard earned money supporting something that doesn't seem to have any firm foundations going forward.

We're all struggling for money during these tough times, the supporters are no different to anyone else, not even the region, and with the region having to take measures, so do the supporters, it works both ways.

I have supported the Scarlets for nearly 30 years, and will continue to do so going forward, but this latest pill to swallow is a real sour one and doesn't make one self feel very good!

100% agree if people like you are struggling to see the point of investing more how the hell are we going to attract the much needed new supporters. I have to justify to the wife the point of travelling nearly 50 miles round trip and the price of season ticket next year and with the kids devastated because of George going then that makes it really hard. But then again George hasn't gone yet has he ?
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 9:48am

Couldn't care less who we sign now to be honest, this has been another testing season as a supporter, and after a white wash in the Heineken, I didn't think things could get much worse, and then we sell our biggest named player that we've had at our region for years!!! Shocked Pretty obvious that who we bring in will be no where near as good as George, quite simply because we don't have the collateral to sign and keep them, so in all honesty, I'm looking forward to the end of the season when I can have a break away from rugby and this rubbish, and watch ping pong instead! Shocked

have a thanks m8, but hey it's not all doom and gloom, he'd have only played 10 games for us next season but.......

kids can no longer say I support the scarlets because George North plays for them...Cry

Yeah I agree, it isn't doom and gloom for sure, but it doesn't stop me feeling well and truly fed up as a supporter, this season has been a testing time with a number of instances, and this latest one has just tipped the jar over with issues that have been slowly building (and not being addressed) for some time now.

I fear the repercussion of the North departure, this headline with the WRU isn't finished, and with our most potent young gun on the park leaving for pastures new at the ripe age of 20, I no longer hold any hope of being able to secure the services of our other young guns when contracts come for renewal (or before).

The tide has well and truly turned from IF they go to WHEN, and that is a hard pill to swallow, it doesn't fill you with confidence, and when you lose confidence in your region and Welsh rugby, you do ask why you bother and spend your hard earned money supporting something that doesn't seem to have any firm foundations going forward.

We're all struggling for money during these tough times, the supporters are no different to anyone else, not even the region, and with the region having to take measures, so do the supporters, it works both ways.

I have supported the Scarlets for nearly 30 years, and will continue to do so going forward, but this latest pill to swallow is a real sour one and doesn't make one self feel very good!
Scarlets!!!
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Milli Milli wrote:

Agree with this but is Easterby the one to improve our forwards? He had quite a long time with the forwards when Nigel was incharge and couldnt improve the likes of Day, Welch and Reed ect.

Easterby was defence coach under Nigel. Not forwards coach.
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 8:51am
Originally posted by MikeM MikeM wrote:

Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

we wanted to sell because North was used as a pawn in a very sad political war.

we had the wages from Smiler, Fenby, Vallajelos and Stoddard to top George's contract up with. now looking at Smiler, Stoddard and possibly Vallajelos all being international players and say earning around 50k a year that's 150k right there and then fenby being on around 30k that's 180k. Now Smiler being a british lion is probably on a lot more than 50k

so it's a minimum 180k + plus his existing contract....

So you think spending about 10% of our player budget on a winger who is unavailable for over 3 months of our season is good value?

lets just say the wages were £200k for arguments sake.

that's only 5.7% of our £3.5m budget nowhere near your 10% (seems as though Maths hasn't been your strong point tonight), on a global superstar 20 year old player who is looked up to by all the kids and is lauded in the press as being a massive player ala Jonah Lomu esk....

The Blues signed Lomu and the marketing they got from signing him paid for his wages. we've done no such thing with George.

Yes they did but the Blues also played him. How many times have we seen North on our pitch this season? What's the point of marketing a player that no one sees on the pitch.

Difference is that we didn't "sign" George as a marquee player. Had we signed Habana then it would have been the same as Lomu but we already had our own Habana but because he was ours, we didn't consider him as such.

As the saying goes - you don't know what you've got until you lose it.

Edited by Abbey - 05 April 2013 at 8:52am
dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 8:00am
Originally posted by parisse parisse wrote:

jedward or dale not offered anything

Jedward not being offered a new contract is a good indication that we are looking to recruit an openside, frankly he has been poor this year. 

Dale Ford has been very unlucky with injuries, feel sorry for him as he could have been a decent player for us. oh well another wing down, only Phillips who is the worst of them left. 
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 7:01am

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 6:13am
Originally posted by BlackwoodScarlet BlackwoodScarlet wrote:

on the contracts section it has dale down as a 2 year contract from 2012

He was given a development contract for 2-years in 2011. Shame if true , he needs another season at RFC to find his pre-injury form. Perhaps he'll be given something there.
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 12:14am

on the contracts section it has dale down as a 2 year contract from 2012
omri jones View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omri jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2013 at 11:44pm
Before two major injuries Dale was an outstanding prospect as a wing or full back who also had the ability to kick long range penalties. If this is true I'm very disappointed. He will be snapped up by the Dragons and like some of our other "rejects" he will come back to bite us.
Unfortunately Jedward has been very disappointing this season and this news isn't a shock.
The only positive that I can take from this news is that we must be signing new back 3 players and 7s (unless Easterby continues with his failed plan of playing 3 6s).
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2013 at 11:07pm

I can understand for Jedward but I thought Ford was a good prospect and one to keep an eye on, am I mistaken?
parisse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parisse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2013 at 11:05pm
omri jones View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omri jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2013 at 10:59pm
At loosehead we've got Rhodri Jones, Phil John,  Shaun Hopkins, Rob Evans and Gareth Thomas and other youngsters on the horizon. It's not one of the positions that we are desparate to strengthen. Let's concentrate on getting a tough, balanced, competitive backrow and a wing to replace George. I'm sure one of Dale Ford, Jordan Williams, Kyle Evans, Kristian Phillips, Adam or Aaron Warren or even Scott Williams at a push could  fill the other wing slot.

Edited by omri jones - 04 April 2013 at 11:00pm
rolly View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2013 at 10:33pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic