Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The way we were.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The way we were.
    Posted: 05 September 2013 at 9:08pm

"This is great stuff, .......Phil Bennett covering, chased by Alastair Scown..............brilliant, OH that's brilliant, ........John Williams, Brian Williams,.....Pullen.......John Dawes, great dummy, .....David, Tom David,..the halfway line ........brilliant by Quinnell,......this is Gareth Edwards, a dramatic start ................what a score.."

Bill Mclaren had a bout of flu and a soft Welsh voice side stepped in to commentate on one of the Greatest ( if not the greatest ) ever Union tries, started by a Welsh flyhalf genius and finished by a legendary Welsh number 9, the stuff of legends. Even now the power of all the ingredients make me shiver.

Cliff Morgans voice still has the tones to enthrall this 51 year old, just as he did when i was 12 in 1973, watching it " live" on a black and white, rediffusion "special".
What a bloody game, no Sky + and Virgins record three channels and make dinner and see it all again, these gizmo's were dreamscapes of imagination. But my gawd were we fed a diet of substance and vigour before Red Bull and taurine with visual inspiration,, it sustains even now with brilliance, skill and genius. Oh the way we were.

A sad loss before this new season of another majestic and gifted flyhalf. He played before my time, but his class and deeds and then later his voice are the soundtrack to many great iconic rugby moments, thank you indeed Sir.

William Percy Carpmael and Sammy Woods, Emille de lissa, Jock Wemyss, Percy Coles and WJ Carey ( who gave the Barbarians their motto ) in 1890 believed that rugby should be an attacking game. A side that played with hard clean attacking rugby with STYLE.

Style, there was another side that were developing their own in 1879 when Stradey Park opened to a young team as the home of the Scarlets.
Mr John D Rogers a young Industrialist who had learned the way to play rugby union at Rugby School, also had a vision and belief. With the help of Mr C Hilton as Secretary he gathered around him a band of young athletes to form the first side in 1872.
The rest as they say,,,,,

Oh for running rugby played at speed, some say the modern game has changed rugby forever, with pods and blitz and other descriptive explanations of tactics dictating the winning and losing odds.
Size, bulk, power, bicips, quads, six pack, lift 600 kilos in one thrust etc, etc, has it all really changed the beauty of finesse, guille, gift, thinking heads up brilliance, the side step, the deft body swerve.
Has the plank of Oak driven the dancer and skimmer of grass into old grainy black and white images of forgotten times, has the purity been lost.

I hunger for those deft moments of god given skill, the attacking game, the handling game, the thinking game, the purity of rugby football, played by Scarlets that lead not follow and shower the World with sheer undiluted brilliance.

The Scarlets have always been the flag bearers in attacking rugby, they have for nearly all my life. I ache for the team to enthrall me, force me to sit down with the delight and pride of "thats why" i love the Scarlet brand and team.
A new season, another attempt to capture past glories, it will be hard and it may be difficult to endure, but all of us can help.
Not by some grand gesture, but just by being there, supporting our boys, we all make a difference.
And as the cabinets long for movement in the carved wood sliders holding aged glass, we are needed more than ever.

Long ago individuals shared the same belief's on how rugby should be played, we are no different from those gentlemen with the same ethos and hopes of running rugby, exciting attacking off the cuff rugby, attack, attack and attack with style.

Idea's, dreams, hopes and thoughts do get lost over time, but utter brilliance and skills will always be remembered, that's why we follow the Scarlets, we keep the dream alive.

"A dramatic start",,,,,,,,it's never been anything else.

Keep the faith and enjoy whatever this season brings.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Sponsored Links

Nine -Three View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nine -Three Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 9:18pm
Thats my boy Lofty - Where have you been all summer.Clap
YMA O HYD
GwentScarlet2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GwentScarlet2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 9:21pm
Fantastic
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 9:29pm
"Not by some grand gesture, but just by being there, supporting our boys, we all make a difference."

Yup! Thumbs Up
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 10:03pm
Great stuff Lofty. Clap

Cliff Morgan was the only guy in the stadium that day,  who thought that was  dummy from Dawes though. Smile

Anyway, the long wait through the summer is over.  Are we human, or are we........

Yes we are - SCARLET. Cool

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 05 September 2013 at 10:05pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 10:11pm
I miss you mind - SEE YOU TOMORROW!!
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Great stuff Lofty. Clap

Cliff Morgan was the only guy in the stadium that day,  who thought that was  dummy from Dawes though. Smile

Anyway, the long wait through the summer is over.  Are we human, or are we........

Was on the radio this morning as I was driving to work, really got the juices flowing! The season starts tomorrow, blydi fantastic mun!
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Oh for running rugby played at speed, some say the modern game has changed rugby forever, with pods and blitz and other descriptive explanations of tactics dictating the winning and losing odds.
Size, bulk, power, bicips, quads, six pack, lift 600 kilos in one thrust etc, etc, has it all really changed the beauty of finesse, guille, gift, thinking heads up brilliance, the side step, the deft body swerve.
Has the plank of Oak driven the dancer and skimmer of grass into old grainy black and white images of forgotten times, has the purity been lost.

I hunger for those deft moments of god given skill, the attacking game, the handling game, the thinking game, the purity of rugby football, played by Scarlets that lead not follow and shower the World with sheer undiluted brilliance.

The Scarlets have always been the flag bearers in attacking rugby, they have for nearly all my life. I ache for the team to enthrall me, force me to sit down with the delight and pride of "thats why" i love the Scarlet brand and team.
A new season, another attempt to capture past glories, it will be hard and it may be difficult to endure, but all of us can help.
Not by some grand gesture, but just by being there, supporting our boys, we all make a difference.
And as the cabinets long for movement in the carved wood sliders holding aged glass, we are needed more than ever.

Long ago individuals shared the same belief's on how rugby should be played, we are no different from those gentlemen with the same ethos and hopes of running rugby, exciting attacking off the cuff rugby, attack, attack and attack with style.

Idea's, dreams, hopes and thoughts do get lost over time, but utter brilliance and skills will always be remembered, that's why we follow the Scarlets, we keep the dream alive.

"A dramatic start",,,,,,,,it's never been anything else.

Keep the faith and enjoy whatever this season brings.

Two Words: Jordan Williams

Looking forward to the season.Thumbs Up
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Great stuff Lofty. Clap

Was on the radio this morning as I was driving to work, really got the juices flowing! The season starts tomorrow, blydi fantastic mun!
Funny thing is, when I hear that song now, I keep thinking they've got the words wrong when they don't sing 'or are we Scarlet'. LOL

In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Scarletrob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scarletrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 10:28pm
Wise words sir.... but can we ever see pure, attacking rugby again-just one problem- a lack of space. back then forwards were forwards and backs were backs !
POPPADOM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote POPPADOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 10:47pm
At last      but man it was worth it !!!!!!!!

If CARLING. Was a rugby supporter it would be called LOFTY EVANS

Superb tribute
     31st October 1972
    The Greatest day in
     SCARLET HISTORY
      "I WAS THERE !!"
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 10:56pm
Please can we put this up all around the ground tomorrow? it wil get everyone motivated without a shadow of a doubt!

Cheers lofty
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 12:04am

"If the greatest writer of the written word had written that story, no one would have ever believed it!"
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
AstroScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AstroScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 8:53am
Just wow. Come on you Scarletssss
'Stand up at home if you're watching, that was one of the Heineken Cup great tries'
ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 9:49am
About 10hrs to go.
Bryn A! Wel! View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bryn A! Wel! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 10:09am
Poetic Lofty! Good man!

Let's go, boys!!
Fy nheml sy'n yr Emlyn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic