Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'Dragging'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Dragging'
    Posted: 03 March 2014 at 9:16am
I'm sure this has been discussed before - apologies - but has the law, interpretation or guidance to refs changed?

In the latest round of 6N matches, serial controversialist Steve Walsh penalised players for placing their hands on the ground beyond the tackled player, then dragging them back onto the ball in an attempt to rip or jackal it back. Yet in the other matches, despite this being done many times, the other refs let it go.

I remember Warburton being penalised for exactly this a season or two ago, and taking time to get a full explanation from the ref (Not sure who it was).

So - what is the current situation, or is it a grey area?

If it IS ambiguous, why doesn't the IRB publish clear guidance?

And if it isn't, why do the refs interpret it competely differently?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this conundrum!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

AstroScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2014 at 9:28am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I'm sure this has been discussed before - apologies - but has the law, interpretation or guidance to refs changed?

In the latest round of 6N matches, serial controversialist Steve Walsh penalised players for placing their hands on the ground beyond the tackled player, then dragging them back onto the ball in an attempt to rip or jackal it back. Yet in the other matches, despite this being done many times, the other refs let it go.

I remember Warburton being penalised for exactly this a season or two ago, and taking time to get a full explanation from the ref (Not sure who it was).

So - what is the current situation, or is it a grey area?

If it IS ambiguous, why doesn't the IRB publish clear guidance?

And if it isn't, why do the refs interpret it competely differently?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this conundrum!

Walsh again that one against England last year! I have seen it be penalised a bit in the Super 15 over the last couple of weeks.
'Stand up at home if you're watching, that was one of the Heineken Cup great tries'
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2014 at 12:37pm
If you place your hands on the floor you are technically "off your feet" i.e. not supporting your own weight with your legs  !

Now as far as the tackle goes,

Law 15:6,a answers the question ..

15.6 OTHER PLAYERS
(a) After a tackle, all other players must be on their feet when they play the ball. Players are on
their feet if no other part of their body is supported by the ground or players on the ground.

16:2:d states

All players forming joining or taking part in a ruck must be on their feet.

Edited by scarletman - 03 March 2014 at 12:37pm
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2014 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

If you place your hands on the floor you are technically "off your feet" i.e. not supporting your own weight with your legs  !

Now as far as the tackle goes,

Law 15:6,a answers the question ..

15.6 OTHER PLAYERS
(a) After a tackle, all other players must be on their feet when they play the ball. Players are on
their feet if no other part of their body is supported by the ground or players on the ground.

16:2:d states

All players forming joining or taking part in a ruck must be on their feet.

OK then - so it looks as if Walsh is right according to the letter of the law.

So why do other top class international referees ignore this? (There were MANY BLATANT EXAMPLES OF DRAGGING IN THE LAST ROUND OF THE 6N.) (sorry caps stuck)

FWIW - I'd allow dragging if done immediately as a genuine attempt to win the ball - otherwise, players are likely to lose their balance and topple over, thus killing the ball (clearly illegal) - but it must be hard to stop dead at the tackled player and keep your balance, or maybe even impossible, without 'dragging'.

I would not allow players to place their hands on the ground beyond the tackle AND KEEP THEM THERE to prevent the other team from winning the ball (see another thread) - just as part of an mimmediate attempt to jackal.

If a law is not obeyed or respected, it comes into disrepute and should be changed.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic