Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Changes next season [EGM called]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 1:44pm
The EGM will yield no changes and any attempt to oust the board by a vote of no confidence will fail. The most likely outcome is that a workable service agreement will be signed and a businesslike relationship will ensue until Lewis leaves (no doubt at a time of his own choosing). With both the media and majority of supporters/clubs in support of the unions, the regions are doomed to ultimate failure. Whilst, outside Pontypridd, there may not be outright hostility towards the regions, there is ambivalence.

Sponsored Links

Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 1:50pm
I'd agree with that Abbey.

We should carry on with the social media bloody nosing though, if only to make us feel better! Big smile
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 2:13pm
It can't go on forever, or an entire generation of rugby will effectively be destroyed. There must be somebody that can do something about it.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

http://files.pitchero.com/counties/12/1400921539.pdf

WRU defends some criticism. To be honest, that it has got to this stage is wholly embarrassing.

They say they don't want to do anything beneath their dignity, but surely a statement of congratulations after the BT deal was announced would be in order?

It's no coincidence that the last two major deals (RCC and BT) have been concluded despite rather than because of the WRU.

The behaviour of the Western Mail is akin to a despotic dictatorship's heavily edited propaganda newspaper where only "good" news is reported. They would thrive in North Korea.

Apparently Peter Jackson states in the rugby paper that part of the WRU media silence over the BT deal is down to the fact that the WRU wanted to sell millennium stadium naming rights to BT Sport.

BT Sport money was on a plate for WRU to name the Millennium Stadium, but a certain CEO annoyed the out-going head of BT TV so much that they decided to take their £20m to Murrayfield and clear the SRU's debt. In the best interests of Welsh rugby, no doubt.

DDF View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 8:38am
Interestingly Hore thinks the Service Agreement might not be signed until November. I hope any potential signing for us does not hinge on the agreement being signed. Here what Hore said:

I wish I could answer this one positively. We've met with the union's executive and there was no resolution. We are now waiting to meet with the full board. When things proceed as slowly as they have been proceeding, my feeling is it could be quite a while before these matters are finally sorted out. I can't see things really moving until there's a need for the WRU to get desperate — and that could be as late as November when they are going to want to use our players for Wales's extra autumn Test. I hope there's a resolution sooner, but I'm as lost with this whole negotiation as the average supporter and I'm disillusioned as well. It's affecting my office staff, it's affecting players, it's affecting my rugby staff. Is this really the way to treat an entity that wants to develop talent for Wales and has a good track record in that respect?

interesting interview

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Mark-Orders-Q-amp-Ospreys-chief-executive-Andrew/story-21146354-detail/story.html

Edited by DDF - 27 May 2014 at 8:40am
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 10:00am

It can't go on forever, or an entire generation of rugby will effectively be destroyed. There must be somebody that can do something about it.

Gareth davies
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 12:47pm
Just had a scoot around BBC Rugby and Walesonline (sorry about that) and out of the 40 odd articles on BBC and 50 odd on Walesonline main pages there's not a single one about the EGM, lack of PA, or comments from regional bosses about the WRU.

I'd be awfully grateful to any of you twitterers to point that out any BBC or Walesonline staff on twitter - cheers.

They do realise that if rugby in Wales dies some of them might be out of jobs don't they? Short sighted doesn't even start to cover them.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:32pm
According to elsewhere, RRW meet the full Wru board tomorrow. Whether the board will be allowed to open their mouths this time remains unclear.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 9:04am
WRU will want to tie this up before any EGM takes place so I expect some deal , which may be ok but not good, so will depend on how long  RRW can wait before accepting what is on offer eg I would think that our ability to recruit a good 8 is being messed up as we cant budget for the cost of an expensive contract with a whole in the budget with a ? on it.
DDF View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 10:39am

Does anyone know more about David Moffett tweets below? Seems link Ponty & Crosskeys are hatching some sort of plan with the WRU? Seems like the WRU are up to something with this new online poll for a discussion group (put only for supporters that meet a certain criteria)  plus these tweets from Dai Moff. Seems to me they aren't preparing to make peace with the RRW, just planning their next attack. Worrying times.

David Moffett@moffettrugby20h

3) the evidence. Lots of work behind the scenes from some Prem clubs trying to undermine the effort RRW should be very concerned at the

4) links being forged between WRU and some Prem clubs who have ambitions way way above their abilities. Will destroy Welsh Rugby

David Moffett@moffettrugby · 19h

I wondered why Smith took his Valleys Rugby web site down now it is starting to make sense RRW needs to be very very aware indeed

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 11:03am

I can see a side being built up in Ponty (and whoever else is against the pro set up -

Sam Warbuton (he can want to play for the Blues as much as he wants...he will have no say as WRU give his payslip)

Adam Jones (yet to sign to anybody and is a must for a central contract in WRUs eyes, but with Ospreys being out bid by the union, he will also play where they tell him to...could very well be ponty).

Ian Evans (rumours that Toulon have ripped up the contract...a free agent again...will he sign a big bumper deal with Roger?)

Anscombe (seems to be Gatlands main choice at 10...a rumoured £300k deal of a Central Contract).

this is going to be messy for a long while, pro rugby in wales could end in as little as 4 years.

All well and good Ponty having a region...but if the press continually moan at the regions fans average attendance, do ponty think they will capture more fans than the current average of 2000ish?
Deluded doesnt begin to describe the "top men".

Also the media being very short cited...less teams...less games...less reports...results to loss of jobs.

BT and Sky are already on the brink of taking the pro game out of Wales, Scrum V will be struggling. Its' a snowball effect that I dont think they see the big picture of.

Being pro WRU in this day and age is dangerous for the game in Wales. 

Serious change is needed before it is far too late.   

DDF View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 11:25am
very much seems that Roger and Dai to get they way, will press the self destruct button on Welsh Rugby.

It would be crazy of them to think that the WRU can finance turing 3 semi-pro teams (guessing Ponty, Crosskeys and RGC1404) into proffesional teams. The cost of assembling 3 squads of players, making the infrastructure adequate enough for 3 professional teams etc is going to cost millions. Grasroot clubs be foolish to think there will be much money left for them if the WRU finance 3 semi pro teams.

Do have a feeling once the current PA runs out, the WRU will play dirty and withhold all money. Hoping for the RRW to concede and sign new SA due to a lack of finance.

Hoping for a post from Nobby to reassure me that the WRU down have the upper hand in this battle.
ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 11:26am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Serious change is needed before it is far too late.

I think it is too late already.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 11:30am
Originally posted by DDF DDF wrote:

very much seems that Roger and Dai to get they way, will press the self destruct button on Welsh Rugby.

It would be crazy of them to think that the WRU can finance turing 3 semi-pro teams (guessing Ponty, Crosskeys and RGC1404) into proffesional teams. The cost of assembling 3 squads of players, making the infrastructure adequate enough for 3 professional teams etc is going to cost millions. Grasroot clubs be foolish to think there will be much money left for them if the WRU finance 3 semi pro teams.

Do have a feeling once the current PA runs out, the WRU will play dirty and withhold all money. Hoping for the RRW to concede and sign new SA due to a lack of finance.

Hoping for a post from Nobby to reassure me that the WRU down have the upper hand in this battle.

RRW are signators on the euro deal though and Jackson reported last week that they'll be receiving the money directly from the new governing body, so does Rog think he's going to create 3 teams just to play in the pro12/LV alone?

Edited by minded - 29 May 2014 at 11:31am
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 11:34am
Originally posted by DDF DDF wrote:

Have a feeling that RRW will play hardball on this and not agree anything until WRU need them to - i.e. AI period.

WRU need the 4th AI and the release period for players prior to Internationals more than the Regions need an agreement with WRU I'd say.

Regions have added benefit this coming season of sponsorship with BT plus RCC money being paid directly to them rather than going through WRU's pockets (or so I'm led to believe).
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 11:40am
It's bloody shocking this isn't it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic