Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will Boyde

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 2:13pm
a season in the 7s circuit will do no harm at all for boydes development, especially in our style of play. He will be chasing the ball everywhere, getting plenty of time to defend and one on one tackles, and having plenty of time to develop attacking support play.

Players IMO can get lost in 7s spending too much time on the 7s circuit, but likehas happened to cubby this year, spending half a season or so has done him wonders. he impressed enough to earn a contract as wel as 7s player of the year.

If he can bring that style into his 15 a side game, plus learn a lot from John Barclay, then surely it's something that should be tried again with another natural 7.

I'm all for using the 7s as a development tool especially for our 7s.

We have Jon Barclay, James Davies, Chris Haluafia and Aaron Shingler all as players who are or have played 7 for next season. Not bad imo.
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

To some people size is everything can I point you in direction of Neil Back and Martyn Williams two of best flankers to have played game. You don't have to be 7 foot 3 and 23 stone capable of lifting a house with each arm.

ok well then, we can just pick Jordan there next season

ps no way chris h at this stage of his career could play 7 he'd collapse by half time!

Edited by RR1972 - 11 June 2014 at 2:19pm
omri jones View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omri jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 2:21pm
[QUOTE=PE SA]a season in the 7s circuit will do no harm at all for boydes development, especially in our style of play. He will be chasing the ball everywhere, getting plenty of time to defend and one on one tackles, and having plenty of time to develop attacking support play.

Naaaah - we don't do chasing mun.

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

a season in the 7s circuit will do no harm at all for boydes development, especially in our style of play. He will be chasing the ball everywhere, getting plenty of time to defend and one on one tackles, and having plenty of time to develop attacking support play.

Players IMO can get lost in 7s spending too much time on the 7s circuit, but likehas happened to cubby this year, spending half a season or so has done him wonders. he impressed enough to earn a contract as wel as 7s player of the year.

If he can bring that style into his 15 a side game, plus learn a lot from John Barclay, then surely it's something that should be tried again with another natural 7.

I'm all for using the 7s as a development tool especially for our 7s.

We have Jon Barclay, James Davies, Chris Haluafia and Aaron Shingler all as players who are or have played 7 for next season. Not bad imo.

7s wont help his rucking mauling or line out play, it also wont help him when it comes to knowing when to break from the scrum etc

it's good for handling and support skills but I would see him get more game time in the 15 man game.

ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 2:29pm

I really can not see any harm in a young player, especially a back row player, spending a season in the 7s.  They have spent all their life playing the full game, and missing a bit of the full game in order to pick up the vision, handling and support skills from sevens must be an all around gain, especially at openside where you want your man to be a link for your attacking play

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by ScarletSpiderman ScarletSpiderman wrote:

I really can not see any harm in a young player, especially a back row player, spending a season in the 7s.  They have spent all their life playing the full game, and missing a bit of the full game in order to pick up the vision, handling and support skills from sevens must be an all around gain, especially at openside where you want your man to be a link for your attacking play

nicely put.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

To some people size is everything can I point you in direction of Neil Back and Martyn Williams two of best flankers to have played game. You don't have to be 7 foot 3 and 23 stone capable of lifting a house with each arm.

ps no way chris h at this stage of his career could play 7 he'd collapse by half time!

You always moaning about players out of position but know you want Jodan and H on the flank so you don't think much of Back and Williams then.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 2:51pm

The game has moved on since then. 
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 2:58pm

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

You always moaning about players out of position but know you want Jodan and H on the flank so you don't think much of Back and Williams then.

game has changed most top flankers are 6 ft 1 and 16st plus mccaw,warbuton,robshaw,dustaioir, etc , and in fairness back and Williams were all time greats so it's bit unfair to compare him to them

the likes of pugh and Edwards went on the sevens circuits but never set the 15 mad code alight

As I said I can't see it helping his all round game in the 15 man code as much as a year playing semi pro rugby would

if others disagree so be it,I have my views and they have theirs

viva la difference!

Edited by RR1972 - 11 June 2014 at 2:59pm
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 3:13pm
Yes Boyde might be small but he's definitely more physical than Dan was at the same level.
A year on the 7s will do no harm either- a lot of 1on1 work against the Fijians, ABs etc with a lot of conditioning work thrown in.
I don't see him as a top class 7 but he could be a good back up in the years to come.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic