Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > ORDERED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scottish Independence Vote

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2014 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

fair do's the bbc propoganda machine swamped the yes men....I heard more out of nick robinson last week than alex salmond, bonkers mun

Well he is a former chair of the young conservatories! I do think it was a step too far this time for the Scottish nation but out of the 55% win I bet a good 5-10 % favour independence but feared what the consequences would be so in reality a majority of Scotland want independence if truth be known! I think it has opened the door for change across the UK and Wales and England! Interesting times ahead still. 
Sponsored Links

rolly View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2014 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

Originally posted by rolly rolly wrote:

William Wallace will be turning in his grave .

Technically, he doesn't have one as he was executed, hanged, drawn and quartered. The four parts were sent to Berwick, Perth, Newcastle and Stirling. His head was put on a spike on London Bridge.

No need to thank me, it's a pleasure.

you've seen the film then .
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2014 at 5:37am
"I am William Wallace. And I see a whole army of my countrymen,
here in defiance of tyranny! You have come to fight as free men. And
free men you are! What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?"
"Yes!" "Fight and you may die. Run and you will live at least awhile.
And dying in your bed many years from now,
would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for
one chance, just one chance, to come back here as young men and tell
our enemies that they may take our lives but they will never take
our freedom!"

good one one bill ,you have your crusade but we're just happy with  0.1% off our mortgages instead... 

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2014 at 7:28am
Agree it is still interesting going forward...but by gawd the Scots blew it again. The Oracle one is correct, afraid of change and no balls.
Its like having the same ritual of getting up having breakfast, brushing your teeth and then doing the same stuff as yesterday and the day before; cos its comfortable and predictable.
Whatever happened to the spirit of adventure and the unknown, jeez we have become a boring nation, or whats really important the the extra pounds in the pocket.
Glad i was on Hols when all this guff was happening on TV.

Edited by lofty evans - 20 September 2014 at 7:30am
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2014 at 8:04am

William Wallace will be turning in his grave .

Technically, he doesn't have one as he was executed, hanged, drawn and quartered. The four parts were sent to Berwick, Perth, Newcastle and Stirling. His head was put on a spike on London Bridge.

No need to thank me, it's a pleasure.

you've seen the film then .

I thought it was a documentary. You mean he wasn't an Aussie-American?

TheOracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 1:46pm
Lots of shenanigans about the vote... Video evidence too... Interesting to see what evolves and whether the the parties from Westminster will uphold their promises... All this talk of powers for English regions is a short screen from those lying bastards at Westminster
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 3:11pm
strange how all the "different" parties in Westminster ALL had the exact same opinion on this and said the exact same things. are they employed by the tax payer, the voter or their "sponsors?" Theyre worse than spineless jellyfish, at least jellyfish can bite
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by TheOracle TheOracle wrote:

Lots of shenanigans about the vote... Video evidence too... Interesting to see what evolves and whether the the parties from Westminster will uphold their promises... All this talk of powers for English regions is a short screen from those lying bastards at Westminster

More power for the English regions - some of which have Labour majorities - would be the honest, and best, way to go - government in the UK is FAR too centralised.

But the Tories want only English MPs to vote on English matters. Sounds sensible, BUT in practice this would mean that a labour UK government could be out-voted by a Tory majority on English matters - pretty unworkable, I think.

Also, the politicos have promised to keep the barnett formula for Scotland - which they do very well out of, as does NI - whereas Wales is short-changed by around £300 million a year, apparently.

Whatever happens, I hope that for Wales the Barnett formula is ditched, and that the English regions (as opposed to the English parliament) get more powers.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 4:26pm
English only sessions in Westminster with MPs from devolved countries being excluded is fraught with problems. I wouldn't want to have to sort that one out!!

It's only fair that Scottish MPs don't get to interfere on matters that don't affect them as the English have no say north of the border.
The difficulty comes when this affects cabinet members. In fact, Gordon Brown would have been banned from voting on certain matters when he was PM.
Personally, I don't give a stuff - although I don't want us becoming like America where the President gets nothing done. All I want to see is a fairer settlement for the population of Wales. Westminster is strangling our public services (not that the clowns in Cardiff Bay know how to run a piss up in a brewery either).

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 5:02pm
Of course the banning of Scottish MPs from voting on "English only" matters wasn't mentioned before the referendum when all those rushing up to Scotland to prevent a YES vote brought nothing but goodies and scaremongering. Presumably the English MPs will also be banned from voting in issues only relating to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

It looks like PERFIDIOUS ALBION has never gone away.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 5:45pm

the downside of more devolved powers is more may eventually end up in the hands of our beloved council ..and i aint paying cat tax (or fat cat taxLOL )

Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Of course the banning of Scottish MPs from voting on "English only" matters wasn't mentioned before the referendum when all those rushing up to Scotland to prevent a YES vote brought nothing but goodies and scaremongering. Presumably the English MPs will also be banned from voting in issues only relating to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

I think it wasn't mentioned as the details weren't thought through properly in the blind panic to sweeten the Scottish electorate. Cameron must have taken 30 seconds to celebrate on Friday morning and then thought - "shit, what did I promise them?"

I do agree with the more sensible commentators who say that it needs consideration or else we'll end up with an awful dog's dinner. And, worse, everything going to the Scots and being taken away from Wales.

TheOracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 6:18pm
This is why the UK is over it never was united just a simmering lying concoction of self interest... This is just the start ......let's get out now and get into Europe before those tossers in Westminster kill us once and for all
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by TheOracle TheOracle wrote:

This is why the UK is over it never was united just a simmering lying concoction of self interest... This is just the start ......let's get out now and get into Europe before those tossers in Westminster kill us once and for all

Ha! Can't see many ordinary voters agreeing to swap Westminster for Brussels

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 7:07pm

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I think it wasn't mentioned as the details weren't thought through properly in the blind panic to sweeten the Scottish electorate. Cameron must have taken 30 seconds to celebrate on Friday morning and then thought - "shit, what did I promise them?"

I do agree with the more sensible commentators who say that it needs consideration or else we'll end up with an awful dog's dinner. And, worse, everything going to the Scots and being taken away from Wales.

To some extent, this has been happening for the last 20-30 years, under the Barnett formula (which Lord Barnett himself has been saying needs reform for several years). In effect, the deal favours counties with falling populations (Scotland, in recent years) and disadvantages those where the population is increasing (Wales).

The English political leaders paniced at the thought that Scotland would vote 'yes', and basically promised the Scots to continue with Barnett financing or better - so they'll continue to get a much better block grant than Wales (per head).

I was disgusted today to hear that Miliband has said Wales will have to stick with the Barnett settlement - when Carwyn Jones, TBF, has been asking for it to be ditched for ages - as did Rhodri Morgan.

What's the point of voting Labour in Wales, if the leaders in London don't listen?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
TheOracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 7:08pm
Well we shall see what happens when Westminster and co vote to leave Europe...tata steel and every large company in south Wales is already ready to relocate to mainland Europe.... The damage done will make the thatcher years seem like an Indian summer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic