Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > ORDERED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NATO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NATO
    Posted: 30 August 2014 at 5:31pm
Genuine question - there'll be (and there was today) protests against the upcoming NATO conference at the Celtic Manor.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what they're protesting against? Proper reasoned answers, please, no beardy wierdy marxist dogma trotting out the usual Galloway bollocks (blah blah Palestine good blah blah Israel bad etc etc)

Sponsored Links

scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2014 at 5:58pm
It is the usual groups that challenge the G8 conferences. There are several agendas from civil rights to Nukes. The fact it is NATO also attracts the possibility of terrorist involvement, and anyone who has an issue with any NATO country.
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2014 at 7:07pm
One wonders, though. Ok, there are the usual EU suspects who you could lob accusations of capitalism etc, and, of course, the Yanks - but there are also the former communist states such as Albania, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Romania.

Neither Israel nor any Islamic state are represented. Ukraine wants to join but which country would protestors side with in that particular current debate? Ukraine for wanting to join the EU gravy train (thereby putting Russian business interests in jeapordy) or the Russians for effectively invading another sovereign nation?

Or perhaps the answer is so much easier. They protest just because......

Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2014 at 7:27pm
Ok. Got my answer from Google.

Stop the War coalition. Now understand it (not necessarily agree with all of as there are two sides to EVERY story)

lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2014 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

Genuine question - there'll be (and there was today) protests against the upcoming NATO conference at the Celtic Manor.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what they're protesting against? Proper reasoned answers, please, no beardy wierdy marxist dogma trotting out the usual Galloway bollocks (blah blah Palestine good blah blah Israel bad etc etc)

The only protest i would suggest, is why dont NATO do far more instead of chopsing on TV,,

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2014 at 11:11am
The Ukraine will end very badly for them I fear. NATO will not have the balls to step in and defend them neither will the UN. There will be plenty of chest puffing and sabre rattling, lots more punitive sanctions but the end result will be Putin will get what he wants. When the only excuse he can give is that russian troops on holidays may have gone to support the seperatists (and kept all their kit with them and borrrowed a few T80's as well) then that clearly shows he doesn't give a toss what the world thinks. Russia could have Europe by the short and curleys by dictating the flow and cost of oil and gas. Then look out for the next ex Russian federation country (that has assets).
This has all the hallmarks of a certain little Austrian corpral who was appeased by the world until they woke up and realised that he had taken most of europe.
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2014 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

The Ukraine will end very badly for them I fear. NATO will not have the balls to step in and defend them neither will the UN. There will be plenty of chest puffing and sabre rattling, lots more punitive sanctions but the end result will be Putin will get what he wants. When the only excuse he can give is that russian troops on holidays may have gone to support the seperatists (and kept all their kit with them and borrrowed a few T80's as well) then that clearly shows he doesn't give a toss what the world thinks. Russia could have Europe by the short and curleys by dictating the flow and cost of oil and gas. Then look out for the next ex Russian federation country (that has assets).
This has all the hallmarks of a certain little Austrian corpral who was appeased by the world until they woke up and realised that he had taken most of europe.

Indeed. I read the Stop the War coalition website and their main beef is that poor Russia have been treated like a defeated state by the Americans and have lost much of their USSR territory. That's fine, but in using that argument, it is denying the right of countries like Ukraine and Georgia to self-govern. I know that most of these protestors are sad that the Soviet Union broke up in the first place and would like to see communist ideals in the UK, but that isn't going to happen. I know a lot of far-left Plaid members were out protesting (like Bethan Jenkins).

bazlewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2014 at 2:01pm
To be honest I don't give a s##t but if some git slows us down on the M50 or Heads of the Valley next Saturday there will be blydi trouble. We will not be leaving home till 10.30 because I have to work so we need no hold ups.
To be a Scarlet is as good as it gets
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2014 at 2:07pm
Having past them putting up the fencing on the M4 when I came after summer hols I wouldn't be surprised to see the M4 with a lane closure during the proceedings.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2014 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by bazlewis bazlewis wrote:

To be honest I don't give a s##t but if some git slows us down on the M50 or Heads of the Valley next Saturday there will be blydi trouble. We will not be leaving home till 10.30 because I have to work so we need no hold ups.

I will check if there are any planned closures for you Baz as they have been doing that over weekends due to the roadworks from Ebbw to Tredegar. Doesn't slow me down a huge amount during the week with way to be fair.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
bazlewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2014 at 8:30pm
Thanks supertaf we will defiantly stay away from the M4.
To be a Scarlet is as good as it gets
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2014 at 9:13pm
In between traffic jams, 'd imagine most of the time will be spent fawning over the mighty bazza obama.....hes visiting a school and popping into the castle to be cawled up, but if those workshy welsh assembly fops get 30 seconds with him, i hope they take him to the white house of europe in city hall and not the green house of tiger bay (The assembly)

Edited by roy munster - 31 August 2014 at 9:14pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2014 at 9:43pm
Let's see what NATO have achieved since the break up of the Soviet Union, an act that should have seen it disbanded as the its whole raison d'etre for its existence had vanished. Since then it has expanded relentlessly breaking its promise to Gorbachov on the reunification of Germany that it would not expand an inch to the east. It has also totally wrecked (by bombing) the infrastructure of Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and Syria, killing and maiming hundreds of thousands of civilians in the process, choosing carefully those countries that they could bomb from a safe height at night.
And now our fawning politicians want to make sure these pampered, precious killers are safe from any upset. Shame on Carwyn James, Paul Flynn and all the others who have put up and glorified this shameless propaganda jamboree.     
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic