Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales team vs. S.Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by OwainLlanedi OwainLlanedi wrote:

What's the bright side?

Barclays Bank get more money. Roger delivers the KPIs he decreed himself and the associated bonus, Steve Phillips puts another tick on his CV, the regional game is further weakened and the WRU's stranglehold over it remains.
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 2:11pm

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Aaron Jarvis, Rhodri Jones and James King internationals. Jesus.

Can't see anything beyond another loss and another convincing one at that. The team selection is (as usual) negative and offers no freshness or chances for promising players to stake a claim.

Basically I'm saying it's a massive waste of time.

Looking on the bright side of things again

What is the bright side? LOL

We've scraped past Fiji and that's it

lydiate is playing himself back into form
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 2:32pm

Can't see anything beyond another loss and another convincing one at that. The team selection is (as usual) negative and offers no freshness or chances for promising players to stake a claim.

who would you have picked
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 2:39pm
A Shingler or Turnbull over King
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by BlackwoodScarlet BlackwoodScarlet wrote:

Turnbull has been useless this season, Shingler isn't good enough in defence to be a test level 6,

no disrespect but if your main gripes are a wing and full back should swop positions and one of the replacements should be different.

It's hardly a major concern is it???
OwainLlanedi View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OwainLlanedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

I don't know I'm just bemoaning our lack of quality replacements. These boys aren't good enough for international rugby and certainly not against SA
"Er gwaetha pob Dic Siôn Dafydd, Er gwaetha 'rhen Fagi a'i chriw, Byddwn yma hyd ddiwedd amser, A bydd yr iaith Gymraeg yn fyw!"
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 3:45pm

I don't know I'm just bemoaning our lack of quality replacements. These boys aren't good enough for international rugby and certainly not against SA

I think Baker should have had a chance in fairness to the lad.

We are also missing 3 loose head props for various reasons so that would explain why Jarvis is on the bench.

The starting XV looks pretty good bar hooker where again we are missing our first two choices
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 4:20pm
Is Mathew Rees now out of the frame or injured? I thought he came back quite well after his illness and still a solid scrummager
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 5:53pm
im bemused by bakers omission, is he ijnured or what? also pitman, has he been considered, if not why not?
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 5:54pm

Shingler isn't good enough in defence to be a test level 6,

Can't agree with that. Shingler's tackling is top-class. That said, I'd have Tipuric on the bench before him, and definitely before James King. That inclusion is baffling. That's not a great squad and is either indicative of our terrible strength in depth or the fact the coaches can't bring themselves to take chances on freshening things up.

Probably both.
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
RedZep View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote RedZep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 6:27pm
How on earth did we get to a situation where Wales are playing South Africa with a weakened team, the regions are playing important league games the same weekend with weakened teams (playing against teams that are strengthened by their returning internationals) and we go into Europe next week with little prep and flogged players?

Thousands of emParc y Scarletseats at the Millennium Stadium for Wales internationals against the big 3, falling regional attendances for teams that are struggling to compete on a level playing field with the rest of Europe and grass root club numbers at an all time low.

This is Roger Lewis's legacy, yet the sooner Gareth Davies makes it his legacy the better.

Gerald Davies was smack on when he said that the WRU are the laughing stock of world rugby.
'' Know your three R's, son..... Rugby, Rock and Ridin'!! ''
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 7:27pm

Turnbull has been useless this season, Shingler isn't good enough in defence to be a test level 6,

no disrespect but if your main gripes are a wing and full back should swop positions and one of the replacements should be different.

It's hardly a major concern is it???

Did I say I was having a major gripe. Ffs you really do twist what people type.
All I did is say I would swap 1/2p around with Sanjay, then answered apost about who people think could replace King on the bench.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by RedZep RedZep wrote:

How on earth did we get to a situation where Wales are playing South Africa with a weakened team, the regions are playing important league games the same weekend with weakened teams (playing against teams that are strengthened by their returning internationals) and we go into Europe next week with little prep and flogged players?

Thousands of emParc y Scarletseats at the Millennium Stadium for Wales internationals against the big 3, falling regional attendances for teams that are struggling to compete on a level playing field with the rest of Europe and grass root club numbers at an all time low.

This is Roger Lewis's legacy, yet the sooner Gareth Davies makes it his legacy the better.

Gerald Davies was smack on when he said that the WRU are the laughing stock of world rugby.
1) the 4th test always ends up in this somewhat farcical situation
2) the wru always insist on it for financial reasons. why though theyre rushing to repay all debt within 6 years has NEVER been explained and the question has never been properly asked
3) crowds for the autumn haven't been that bad actually and with high prices the net take is probably as high as most years. 55,000+ 61000+ 74500 and an expected 60,000 this weekend is a total of 250,500 average 62500.
4) agreed regions are struggling as we all know. the endless disputes the obsession with debt repayments, the failure to install contracts sooner, the failure to sell the millennium stadium name etc all massive factors.
5) I wasn't aware of grass root numbers at an all time low, any figures on that? it wouldn't surprise me as the grants and funding at grass roots have fallen, partly as it was felt some of it was frittered away previously. the grants should be way bigger for those well run clubs who have several youth sides etc

hopefully its a case of what doesn tkill us makes us stronger long term. The wru strategy has been too debt obsessed but I don't for a minute blame them entirely for the stagant nature of regional rugby.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2014 at 7:51am

im bemused by bakers omission, is he ijnured or what? also pitman, has he been considered, if not why not?

Baker has only just returned from injury, so my guess is that Gats didn't think he was fit enough for international rugby - otherwise, having him in the 23 looks like a no-brainer to me.

I expect we'll see more of him in the 6N...
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2014 at 8:51am

Well said.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2014 at 10:00am

1) the 4th test always ends up in this somewhat farcical situation
2) the wru always insist on it for financial reasons. why though theyre rushing to repay all debt within 6 years has NEVER been explained and the question has never been properly asked
3) crowds for the autumn haven't been that bad actually and with high prices the net take is probably as high as most years. 55,000+ 61000+ 74500 and an expected 60,000 this weekend is a total of 250,500 average 62500.
4) agreed regions are struggling as we all know. the endless disputes the obsession with debt repayments, the failure to install contracts sooner, the failure to sell the millennium stadium name etc all massive factors.
5) I wasn't aware of grass root numbers at an all time low, any figures on that? it wouldn't surprise me as the grants and funding at grass roots have fallen, partly as it was felt some of it was frittered away previously. the grants should be way bigger for those well run clubs who have several youth sides etc

hopefully its a case of what doesn tkill us makes us stronger long term. The wru strategy has been too debt obsessed but I don't for a minute blame them entirely for the stagant nature of regional rugby.

Grass roots are a major concern, that is the key for Welsh rugby.

If your grass roots especially youth and schools rugby are strong then it will channel into strong regions and strong test sides.

There is to be more money for the community game but there is a big dispute as to how it is to be used.

Some clubs want to use the money to pay for things like sky tv etc so they can generate extra income for the club to become a solvent business, some want it pumped directly into the youth set up and others want to spend it on the first team to increase on field success and attract more fans/sponsors.

I suppose there is some merit in all 3 , but personally I think the first 2 have the best chance of long term success
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic