Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WRU removed dual contract offer to Faletau

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WRU removed dual contract offer to Faletau
    Posted: 07 May 2015 at 4:59pm
WRU have removed offer of DC today to Faletau after he missed deadline set by WRU/Gatland.
Looks very much like Gats was getting pee'd off with him and his agent, so it may be he is off to Bath now for the money and the usual 'opportunity to win Sillverware' I assume next so perhaps a 'conscious uncoupling' is taking place- god I loathe Agents.Angry  Its on BBC website
Sponsored Links

TekVues View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TekVues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 1:45pm
Maybe Faletau has expressed an interest in staying in Wales but not with the Dragons. The problem being him having a year left on his contract which would mean he would need to be bought out. If he waits a year, another NDC could be offered with another region and he would be free to go.
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 1:53pm

He can come here if he wants

And We Were Singing...
trident View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 2:25pm
Why would he stay in Wales now, he can have the best of both worlds. Gatland has come out and said that the Doc won't be ruled out if he signs for Harlequins.

"There's not a hard and fast rule as there is with England," Gatland told BBC Wales Sport.
"There are exceptions where players have been playing outside of Wales and there are one or two wildcards we could pick.
"They do play outside of Wales but they could be selected, but I think the long-term goal is to have a policy where, ideally, we pick players who are playing in Wales

Gatland's law?
Gatland's law unto himself more like.

Load of bollox from WG imo
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 2:29pm
There either is a law or there isn't.

After making a big fuss about "Gatland's law will come into effect after 6 players are dual contracted", this just looks weak.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 2:58pm
Stop moaning. The Law only applies to Dwayne Peel. What made you think it was a universal law like Newton's Third Law?
TekVues View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TekVues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 4:35pm
Gatlands law is a joke. Faletau might want to stay in Wales (i think he's said that). If one of the regions can offer Champions Cup rugby it might be enough to keep him in the country.  
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by TekVues TekVues wrote:

Gatlands law is a joke. Faletau might want to stay in Wales (i think he's said that). If one of the regions can offer Champions Cup rugby it might be enough to keep him in the country.  

The Ospreys have a fair number of 8s and wouldn't it just be ironic if we qualified for the Champions cup, and he showed obvious interest just after we'd signed two new 8s and Pitman was contracted for another year.
Highly unlikely, but just our luck.
dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 8:24pm
This is bad news for the regions as is Roberts to Quins. If both play outside Wales, given their importance to Team Wales I can't see either being dropped which would open the floodgates for others to follow.

Personally I wouldn't really want us to compete with another region for his services on a NDC, again that would set dangerous precedent with respect to our internationals.
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Stop moaning. The Law only applies to Dwayne Peel. What made you think it was a universal law like Newton's Third Law?

I saw Dwayne Peel in Tesco, Llanelli yesterday
And We Were Singing...
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 4:29am
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

This is bad news for the regions as is Roberts to Quins. If both play outside Wales, given their importance to Team Wales I can't see either being dropped which would open the floodgates for others to follow.

Personally I wouldn't really want us to compete with another region for his services on a NDC, again that would set dangerous precedent with respect to our internationals.

As ever, spot on.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

As ever, spot on.

I agree.... especially as we have signed his replacement....
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 4:36pm
intersting column from Peter Jackson in the rugby paper, espeacially relevant to Scott

Home / Features / Columnists / Peter Jackson / Peter Jackson’s column: If ‘Gatland’s Law’ is not upheld there’s no point in being loyal to Wales

Peter Jackson’s column: If ‘Gatland’s Law’ is not upheld there’s no point in being loyal to Wales

Jamie RobertsWarren Gatland’s eponymous law has been further exposed by his refusal to rule Jamie Roberts out when the good doctor lines up for Harlequins post-World Cup. In that event, nobody will have a right to be more aggrieved than the No.1 contender for Roberts’ position, Scott Williams.

He could be forgiven for wondering how his loyalty for signing a dual Wales-Scarlets contract will be rewarded. Unless Gatland makes a stand, and there has been no sign of it, why would any ambitious player bust a gut and stay in Wales? No wonder the four regions are increasingly concerned.

Nobody inquiring into the Machiavellian politics of Welsh rugby has ever, to the best of my knowledge, asked Roger Lewis this question: “Have you retained your dignity?”

The star-struck outgoing chief executive of the Welsh Rugby Union has never been slow to inform anyone caring to listen that there ought to be no question about it. Unsurprisingly, he used the well-worn phrase the other day on BBC Radio Wales.

Asked about his relationship with chairman Gareth Davies in the context of the Union losing the war waged by Lewis against the regions when Davies was running the Dragons, Lewis said: “Throughout all of the discussions, my position has been consistent about retaining one’s dignity.’’

He also referred to “retaining dignity” at the belated signing of the peace deal with the regions late last summer, then made the most preposterous claim of all: “There has never been a raised voice. There has never been a cross word.’’

And Kevin Pietersen is the best team player in the history of cricket

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 4:59pm
I do see Roberts as being an 'exceptional' or rather very unusual sort of  case because he is highly qualified as a doctor outside his rugby career and plainly wants to practise medicine when he retires (not many or perhaps any of those playing in Welsh rugby -not since the old JPR days anyway- have that sort of skill/vocational background) and unlike eg  George North he has, its seems, used his clout and made it certain that he can play for Wales fully as if based in Wales. I wish all players did this including those going to France as -it would help. He is now going to be studying a Masters degree in Medical Science in Cambridge University and any travel up there as required, is a lot easier from London than eg Cardiff.  Having said that Scott is more than able replacement if Gats calls up his law but he cannot just pick and choose randomly. I think he can swing it with Jamie  as an exception due to his medical vocation but otherwise it is a struggle to convince for other players.
I am not sure on Falateus out of rugby qualifications but pretty damn sure they differ from Roberts skill set. I suspect he will go to England but on what terms of release I dont know-cant say I feel optimistic he will negotiate terms to play for Wales whenever-indeed has Rhys negotiated release for all Wales games I wonder?
It remains a bit of a mess.
I do think though that Gatland's law is a bluff at the end of the day as we just dont have the depth to close doors as England have done on Armitage and the Clermont player of the season(whose name escapes me).
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I do see Roberts as being an 'exceptional' or rather very unusual sort of  case because he is highly qualified as a doctor outside his rugby career and plainly wants to practise medicine when he retires (not many or perhaps any of those playing in Welsh rugby -not since the old JPR days anyway- have that sort of skill/vocational background) and unlike eg  George North he has, its seems, used his clout and made it certain that he can play for Wales fully as if based in Wales. I wish all players did this including those going to France as -it would help. He is now going to be studying a Masters degree in Medical Science in Cambridge University and any travel up there as required, is a lot easier from London than eg Cardiff.  Having said that Scott is more than able replacement if Gats calls up his law but he cannot just pick and choose randomly. I think he can swing it with Jamie  as an exception due to his medical vocation but otherwise it is a struggle to convince for other players.
I am not sure on Falateus out of rugby qualifications but pretty damn sure they differ from Roberts skill set. I suspect he will go to England but on what terms of release I dont know-cant say I feel optimistic he will negotiate terms to play for Wales whenever-indeed has Rhys negotiated release for all Wales games I wonder?
I do think though that Gatland's law is a bluff at the end of the day as we just dont have the depth to close doors as England have done on Armitage and the Clermont player of the season(whose name escapes me).

Nick Abendanon ex Bath.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Nick Abendanon ex Bath.
That's it -vg player Diolch Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic