Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Merthyr RFC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 8:09pm
Merthyr rfc must be something like Powell's seventeenth club and he's hardly improving with every transfer. I didn't think anything would make me sympathize with some Ponty fans, but fair play to the Thomas oligarchy, they've succeeded in changing my opinions in no time at all.
Sponsored Links

DDF View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 8:20pm
Powell has really struggled to find a team for the last two seasons. Think only Coventry was the only other team to show some interest in him this summer.

Some money being spent by Stan to be fair, even the signing on fees for some of their players in excessive.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 8:59pm
Merthyr also waiting for a final decision from former Wales skipper Matthew Rees.

They have already recruited ex-Ospreys centre David Bishop, former Wales U20s outside-half Matthew Jarvis, Ebbw Vale scrum-half Rhys Downes, Bedwas lock Phil Rees, Ebbw Vale back rower Gareth “Denver” Williams, plus Pontypridd forwards Craig Locke and James Howe, while Cardiff Blues prop Tau Filise is likely to be involved after the World Cup.

Will be a tough side to stop in that division.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Merthyr also waiting for a final decision from former Wales skipper Matthew Rees.

They have already recruited ex-Ospreys centre David Bishop, former Wales U20s outside-half Matthew Jarvis, Ebbw Vale scrum-half Rhys Downes, Bedwas lock Phil Rees, Ebbw Vale back rower Gareth “Denver” Williams, plus Pontypridd forwards Craig Locke and James Howe, while Cardiff Blues prop Tau Filise is likely to be involved after the World Cup.

bishop smiler powell filise all youngsters who can develop, well done merthyr rfc for abiding by what the spirit of that league is all about

OwainLlanedi View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OwainLlanedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

bishop smiler powell filise all youngsters who can develop, well done merthyr rfc for abiding by what the spirit of that league is all about

I'm kind of curious - why do you care? It's not even the Premiership, and I can't see the difference between this and Ponty playing Lockyer/O'Connor/Dacey/Godfrey/Nuthall. The difference is Merthyr are also investing in community assets as well as these players - 4G pitches and conference facilities. These will have a far longer benefit for the youth of Merthyr; especially compared to teams like Bedwas/Ponty/Cross Keys who sign journeymen and receive far more centralised funding from the Union.

It's just taking the premise of local teams paying players further - this is happening from Division 3 to the top.

Edited by OwainLlanedi - 13 July 2015 at 9:57pm
"Er gwaetha pob Dic Siôn Dafydd, Er gwaetha 'rhen Fagi a'i chriw, Byddwn yma hyd ddiwedd amser, A bydd yr iaith Gymraeg yn fyw!"
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by OwainLlanedi OwainLlanedi wrote:

I'm kind of curious - why do you care? It's not even the Premiership, and I can't see the difference between this and Ponty playing Lockyer/O'Connor/Dacey/Godfrey/Nuthall. The difference is Merthyr are also investing in community assets as well as these players - 4G pitches and conference facilities. These will have a far longer benefit for the youth of Merthyr; especially compared to teams like Bedwas/Ponty/Cross Keys who sign journeymen and receive far more centralised funding from the Union.

It's just taking the premise of local teams paying players further - this is happening from Division 3 to the top.

because it has nothing to do with the youth of merthyr, it has to do with replacing ponty as the top semi pro team by filling it full of 30 plus ex lions welsh caps and tongans

with all due respect even ponty haven't gone as far as this

thomas has said he will put in 500k, thatll be 2 years wages for this lot

the council are expected to foot the bill for everything else

it flys in the face of the lower leagues being part of the feeder system for the regions and then wales

i find the whole thing very distasteful if you don't fair enough but i'm not tje only one

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OwainLlanedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 11:18pm

because it has nothing to do with the youth of merthyr, it has to do with replacing ponty as the top semi pro team by filling it full of 30 plus ex lions welsh caps and tongans

with all due respect even ponty haven't gone as far as this

thomas has said he will put in 500k, thatll be 2 years wages for this lot

the council are expected to foot the bill for everything else

it flys in the face of the lower leagues being part of the feeder system for the regions and then wales

i find the whole thing very distasteful if you don't fair enough but i'm not tje only one

Please can you give me a link as proof that council are footing the bill for everything else?

According t the below article, Stan Thomas will be providing £500k directly to the redevelopment of the ground, to match the contribution of the Council. The Council are contributing matching funds as the intention is for the facilities to be used as a community resource, as stated in the planning application for the redevelopment. No such facility exists at Pontypridd RFC;

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/merthyr-rfc-set-become-new-9377183

This flies in the face of your argument. I don't see increased private investment and initiatives to improve the facilities of a grassroots club to be a bad thing for our rugby pyramid at all.
"Er gwaetha pob Dic Siôn Dafydd, Er gwaetha 'rhen Fagi a'i chriw, Byddwn yma hyd ddiwedd amser, A bydd yr iaith Gymraeg yn fyw!"
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 11:35pm
he has said hell put in £500k yes? and the council will have to match it yes?

how much do you think that wage will be per season? say £250 k min so in 2 years thats his £500k

so the council are footing the bill for the rest (not that in itself is a bad thing) 

but for a tier 3 welsh side to have so many over 30s on big money is bonkers and flys in the face of what this league is all about 

what will happen in 2  years when these guys have retired? is thomas going to keep pumping £250 a season into a semi pro team?

can't see it myself a modern day treorchy zebras if you ask me 

Edited by RR1972 - 13 July 2015 at 11:45pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OwainLlanedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 11:38pm

how much do you think that wage will be per season? say £250 k min so in 2 years thats his £500k

so the council are footing the bill for the rest (not that in itself is a bad thing) 

but for a tier 3 welsh side to have so many over 30s on big money is bonkers and flys in the face of what this league is all about 

Read the article. The £500k is specifically in relation to the redevelopment.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 11:48pm

Read the article. The £500k is specifically in relation to the redevelopment.

so he;s putting in £500k to develope the ground and willing to foot the wage bill?

£500k into the facilities is fine by me I have no issue with that part of it

you;d have thought he;d have put that into the blues if he has that much cash to spare or have invested something in merthyr earlier (was he chairman when they titley sutton hillamn etc in the 90;s? geuine question and as i don;t know the answer)

my main gripe is that this league is supposed to develop players, yes have 1 or two big name older heads but he is assembling a team full of them

I still think this is all part of the thomas/blues vs ponty civil war if im honest

Edited by RR1972 - 13 July 2015 at 11:49pm
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 4:40am
Newcastle Emlyn have signed a Spanish international Tight Head and an Italian first Division fly half.

Totally daft but at the same time they play Merthyr next season and could easily ship a ton, and as a result a whole load of younger guys lose interest in the game and club and look elsewhere.

To pay players to play at the Championship level carries a paltry penalty of WRU funding...not paltry for the likes of emlyn you understand me, but paltry for the likes of Merthyr/Swansea/Bargoed.

The Championship looks odd on to be a shambles next season. The only saving grace is there probably won't be much in the way of relegation and it may finds its level the season after.

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 9:35am
may be just a one season kick start to get locals interested and numbers flocking to games from the start. Merthyr then need to win! If it encourages a few old heads to wane down their careers by helping their developing team mates that sounds okay also and if it upsets Ponty I am not bothered. They are part of the problem I suspect for doing this!
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 11:45am
More likely this generosity is only going to last until Ponty's squad and support is broken. The Thomas brothers didn't get where they are today through acts of charity, and if they love their hometown so much why wait till now before helping out?
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Newcastle Emlyn have signed a Spanish international Tight Head and an Italian first Division fly half.

Totally daft but at the same time they play Merthyr next season and could easily ship a ton, and as a result a whole load of younger guys lose interest in the game and club and look elsewhere.

To pay players to play at the Championship level carries a paltry penalty of WRU funding...not paltry for the likes of emlyn you understand me, but paltry for the likes of Merthyr/Swansea/Bargoed.

The Championship looks odd on to be a shambles next season. The only saving grace is there probably won't be much in the way of relegation and it may finds its level the season after.

I'd love to see the Welsh Premiership replaced by a full blown A league, be it a Pro 12 A league or join the Aviva, as the second tier of Welsh rugby. Would also personally make the current semi-pro system amateur with only WRU funding at point of entry. Would be difficult to police if some clubs are paying players on the sly but would hopefully make the leagues more competitive and with A sides bridge the gap between WP and regional rugby.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 1:03pm
All in all it means better/more regulation and policing of the lower leagues.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 1:40pm
Time to open a Mediterranean restaurant in Emlyn it seems with the Latino imports Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic