Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wayne Barnes Masterclass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wayne Barnes Masterclass
    Posted: 04 June 2015 at 10:33am
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2015 at 7:12pm
Cheers John. That was a very good piece. All the words mattered and the practical demos good and fun.

Thanks.

A few questions.

How often do those sort of things happen at more local/non TV level?

What happens on the Pro12 to help reduce the extremes of interpretation from officials?

Is the sort of demo shown something that could be expanded, put in The Barn as an example, and used to help improve all round understanding of the laws?

In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2015 at 7:33pm
We had a really good session 'Ask the Ref' with referee assessor Nigel Whitehouse at a Crys meeting-wasnt well attended but frankly he was very interesting and informative about referee issues/administration/training/the law/recruitment etc etc... I think we should think of doing this again next season.It was very good.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2015 at 8:02pm
Did the evening include the practical side of things, or was it all Q&A without players there to demonstrate the topics discussed?

If you could get, say, Nigel Owens, and make a "show" of it, you'd get folk there who just watch him on TV.

Might that be a low cost way of getting some more revenue in?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2015 at 12:30pm
Good video
And We Were Singing...
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2015 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Did the evening include the practical side of things, or was it all Q&A without players there to demonstrate the topics discussed?

If you could get, say, Nigel Owens, and make a "show" of it, you'd get folk there who just watch him on TV.

Might that be a low cost way of getting some more revenue in?
Just question and answer-the rules are pretty complex these days to understand and moreover APPLY consistently as we all know !

Nigel has spoken in the past but these days is very busy man -but who knows! I personally got a lot from it which I have probably forgotten again so perhaps another session is due Smile
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2015 at 2:44pm
Not bad at all.

One facet that I'd have like to seen discussed and demonstrated concerns taking out players behind the tackle area - very often, we see the tackled player placing the ball, and players who arrive next don't try to win it but simply fly over the player on the ground and take out opponents who are arriving with a view to winning the ball. To me, that seems like obstruction (whether done by the tackled player's team, or their opponents). 

Seems like a grey area to me, and is certainly not consistently reffed. Clarification here would be appreciated.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
YoungScud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoungScud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2015 at 12:44pm
Law 16:
A ruck is a phase of play where one or more players from each team, who are on their feet, in physical contact, close around the ball on the ground. Open play has ended.

Players are rucking when they are in a ruck and using their feet to try to win or keep possession of the ball, without being guilty of foul play.

I've read all the parts of this law, and it's not really clear to me where the scenarion you describe sits. Technically, I suppose the player flying over the tackled player is acting legally as long as he attempts to stay on his feet. I'd also suppose that the distance he travels, either before he makes contact or how far he drives a player back must count for something. I'd say that once he goes beyond the ball, then he's no longer closed with his opponent(s) 'around the ball', and in that case, might be guilty of an offence. I do get tired of the attacking player who has gone well beyond the ball being allowed to maintain contact with opponents, cleary obstructing their path to the ruck.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2015 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by YoungScud YoungScud wrote:

Law 16:
A ruck is a phase of play where one or more players from each team, who are on their feet, in physical contact, close around the ball on the ground. Open play has ended.

Players are rucking when they are in a ruck and using their feet to try to win or keep possession of the ball, without being guilty of foul play.

I've read all the parts of this law, and it's not really clear to me where the scenarion you describe sits. Technically, I suppose the player flying over the tackled player is acting legally as long as he attempts to stay on his feet. I'd also suppose that the distance he travels, either before he makes contact or how far he drives a player back must count for something. I'd say that once he goes beyond the ball, then he's no longer closed with his opponent(s) 'around the ball', and in that case, might be guilty of an offence. I do get tired of the attacking player who has gone well beyond the ball being allowed to maintain contact with opponents, cleary obstructing their path to the ruck.

Agree with the last statement. How referees can allow players to block defenders (as Leinster do at every ruck when in possession) is beyond me, it's so obvious maybe they assume it must be legal !!
The other pet hate is where players not connected to the ruck are `cleared out` - illegal !!
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic