Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nigel Davies Appointed Ebbw Vale head coach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 9:58am
The regions have been at war with the wru for years, nigel and easterby were up against it just as much as the current coaches.

Anyway measuring then against outside influences is opinion, results are facts.
Sponsored Links

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 10:04am
Originally posted by kcreg kcreg wrote:

Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

We finished 5th 3 times in the league under nigel and the year we had a shocker in the league we finished second in our group in Europe and with enough points to progress in the amlin.

We finished 6th this year and last in our group in Europe.

Just a few facts.
a few more facts...we had a brand new coaching appointment, set up at the last moment,just before last season began.we also nearly had the regions going bust,with the ongoing argument with the wru and roger lewis last year.
however,another lowly finish next season,and questions will be asked I feel.honeymoon over for pivac now,we as supporters need to see if the guy has the minerals to turn us around.only time will tell.
I'm judging Pivac from September onwards
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
kcreg View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 10:11am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

We finished 5th 3 times in the league under nigel and the year we had a shocker in the league we finished second in our group in Europe and with enough points to progress in the amlin.

We finished 6th this year and last in our group in Europe.

Just a few facts.
a few more facts...we had a brand new coaching appointment, set up at the last moment,just before last season began.we also nearly had the regions going bust,with the ongoing argument with the wru and roger lewis last year.
however,another lowly finish next season,and questions will be asked I feel.honeymoon over for pivac now,we as supporters need to see if the guy has the minerals to turn us around.only time will tell.
I'm judging Pivac from September onwards
me too.been hearing conflicting reports on pivac.as I've already stated..only time will tell I suppose.
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!
kcreg View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 10:14am

The regions have been at war with the wru for years, nigel and easterby were up against it just as much as the current coaches.

won't argue with that mate.yes wru and regions have been at loggerheads for yrs,but you must admit though,last year was by far the regions worst.we were almost starved of cash from roger and his henchmen.
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 10:15am
I used this seasons results as a measure purely to illustrate that nigel is good enough for top level rugby in some guise, whether that's as a head coach, dor or a management role.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 10:21am

It was Pivac's first season in charge whereas Easterby and Nigel had been in the Scarlets environment for years before becoming head coach. Apart from our top players like Priestland, Scott etc Pivac would have known very little whatsoever about some of our players and would not have known their strengths or weaknesses before coming here. Nigel and Simon on the other hand would have known everything about all our players which gives them both a head start and an initial advantage over Pivac.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 10:45am
It wasn't a dig at pivac, just illustrating that nigel isn't all that bad.

There's not much point in picking certain aspects to attack or defend coaches,they've all been dealt pretty crap hands in one respect or another .
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 11:25am
The English and French clubs are now on different level as to when Nigel was coaching he coached at a time when we were virtually on level playing field now we nowhere near them as far as resources are concernered.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 11:25am

It wasn't a dig at pivac, just illustrating that nigel isn't all that bad.

There's not much point in picking certain aspects to attack or defend coaches,they've all been dealt pretty crap hands in one respect or another .
no I agree with you Nigel did a lot of good work whilst with us and should still be coaching at this level
solihullscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solihullscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 12:39pm
Also we finished 2nd in a group that included London Irish and Brive and were thrashed twice by Leinster. I'd say last year's showing in Europe was at least as creditable.
#UniteAndFight against the crooked Pro12
OwainLlanedi View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OwainLlanedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 1:07pm
He had no money or recruitment of his own. He built a solid and competitive team by trusting youngsters and building an exciting and coherent game plan. We were more competitive in the league, and our brand of rugby was better.

Nigel is more than fit to be In a pro environment, and he contributed a lot to our club both as an assistant and as a head coach. We're so quick to turn on one of our own, whilst not considering any context.
"Er gwaetha pob Dic SiƓn Dafydd, Er gwaetha 'rhen Fagi a'i chriw, Byddwn yma hyd ddiwedd amser, A bydd yr iaith Gymraeg yn fyw!"
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by OwainLlanedi OwainLlanedi wrote:

He had no money or recruitment of his own. He built a solid and competitive team by trusting youngsters and building an exciting and coherent game plan. We were more competitive in the league, and our brand of rugby was better.

Nigel is more than fit to be In a pro environment, and he contributed a lot to our club both as an assistant and as a head coach. We're so quick to turn on one of our own, whilst not considering any context.
Agree
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

The English and French clubs are now on different level as to when Nigel was coaching he coached at a time when we were virtually on level playing field now we nowhere near them as far as resources are concernered.
Are you serious? When Nigel coached us we weren't even on a level playing field with the Blues and Ospreys let alone English and French clubs! One summer the only signings we could afford were Gavin Quinnell and Johnny F on loan!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 1:45pm
Nigel was certainly up against it in his final year and I dont blame him for leaving us-it was just the total shock at the time. I am sure that since leaving Gloucester he would have had offers to coach at a higher level in UK or abroad and he would have had a good severance payout, so may have fancied some time out of the game. He has kept a low profile in last year hasnt he?  I suspect he just fancied a local challenge, bide his time, and to stay local for personal reasons.
Alun456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alun456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 1:57pm
I'm amazed at some of the ill feeling towards Nigel, do you know something about his coaching that the rest of us don't know? He was our backs coach when were in our last successful period under gyppo and he had to deal with the complete mess left by Phil Davies which meant he had no money to spend and a squad that was full of sub standard players. When Nigel left us for Gloucester we were on the way up as a clubafter almost hitting rock bottom when he took over. We've plateaued ever since. 
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 3:24pm
Pleased for Nigel that he has employment but would I want him back at the Scarlets? No, I wouldnt. I believe we under achieved whilst he was with us when we had a decent squad including a world class outside half. He had good players and a big budget at Gloucester and lasted 18 months? so with the money he had available to him there can be no excuses.

He came to us with no experience as a head coach and imo he still doesnt have anything of merit on his cv. Listening to his excuses post defeats at Gloucester was like replaying all of the ones we used to hear week in week out.

Good luck to him at Ebbw, they had a good looking side last year, he should do well with that squad, but I am more than happy with the coaching staff who will be at Y Parc next season.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic