Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gareth Davies v Aled Davies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 2:13pm
All of them need to be far more vocal on the field and need to be bossing their forwards far more etc. We are far too quiet as a team generally.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Sponsored Links

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 2:16pm
For me Aled is the better player to have on for the majority of the game. His speed in sizing up the options available and  the accuracy of his kicking game make him safer and more useful to the rest of the team. Gareth has the acceleration and power of  a winger and is ideal the ideal man to bring on when the game opens up and maybe we're looking for a try bonus point. We are incredibly lucky to have both (+Rhodri) but we lose most of the advantages when we pick them the wrong way round and start with Cawdor - a temptation because he's the one who's been capped and scored all those tries in the world cup.
Llywarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llywarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 2:20pm
for me Aled is showing the quality and class of an international, his pass is better than Cawdor's of late, and he as Ffidel says make the correct decision very often. Also I've noticed cawdor fall off a few tackles, and Aled's tackling has been superb this season. Aled just looks far more mature and calm.
I'd pick Aled with Dan Jones against the Spreys, or Aled Thomas, but unless it's going to be a complete mud bath I think we play better rugby with Dan.

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by PritchyTheScarlet PritchyTheScarlet wrote:

Two seasons ago, Rhodri was our best SH, Cawdor in the middle, and Aled, it has to be said, was woeful at times. Since then, it has pretty much swapped around, Aled and Gareth can both argue that they are number one, and as this thread shows, the fans opinion is pretty 50/50, with Rhodri going backwards in recent times, which is a shame, just shows that when you are number one, you have to keep improving to stay at the top!
 a lot of that can be put down to the lack of game time Rhodri has had compared to the other two.
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

All of them need to be far more vocal on the field and need to be bossing their forwards far more etc. We are far too quiet as a team generally.

We should re-employ flappy! At least he was vocal! LOLLOLLOLLOL

Edited by Mrfwon - 14 December 2015 at 2:36pm
Scarlets!!!
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

For me Aled is the better player to have on for the majority of the game. His speed in sizing up the options available and  the accuracy of his kicking game make him safer and more useful to the rest of the team. Gareth has the acceleration and power of  a winger and is ideal the ideal man to bring on when the game opens up and maybe we're looking for a try bonus point. We are incredibly lucky to have both (+Rhodri) but we lose most of the advantages when we pick them the wrong way round and start with Cawdor - a temptation because he's the one who's been capped and scored all those tries in the world cup.

If he's faster at assessing his options it's because he has less of them. He offers zero threat, which of course also offers everyone else less space. 4 tries in 80 games says it all really. Fans on this forum have always had a ridiculous blind spot where Aled is concerned, even when he was woeful. Gareth on the other hand gets slated when he simply doesn't take on the world and score a hat trick.
Gareth is a world class scrum half, who topped the stats at the world cup. Get a grip people.

Edited by TheKing - 14 December 2015 at 3:38pm
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Llywarch Llywarch wrote:

for me Aled is showing the quality and class of an international, his pass is better than Cawdor's of late, and he as Ffidel says make the correct decision very often. Also I've noticed cawdor fall off a few tackles, and Aled's tackling has been superb this season. Aled just looks far more mature and calm.
I'd pick Aled with Dan Jones against the Spreys, or Aled Thomas, but unless it's going to be a complete mud bath I think we play better rugby with Dan.

Agreed
And We Were Singing...
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by TheKing TheKing wrote:

If he's faster at assessing his options it's because he has less of them. He offers zero threat, which of course also offers everyone else less space. 4 tries in 80 games says it all really. Fans on this forum have always had a ridiculous blind spot where Aled is concerned, even when he was woeful. Gareth on the other hand gets slated when he simply doesn't take on the world and score a hat trick.
Gareth is a world class scrum half, who topped the stats at the world cup. Get a grip people.
There's always one who seems intent on ruining a perfectly good rugby debate. We have far too few of these on the forum as it is and I can see why now.
Llywarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llywarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 5:40pm
Well actually I couldn't care if samson has scored less tries than Rhodri Jones. Currently it's quite obvious that Samson is the better srummager and that's what i want him to do. In the same way,I want my scrum half to make correct decisions, not shovell shit on to others, kick well, and organise and fill in gaps in a defence, Aled does all of the above better at the moment than cawdor. Only then would I look to the biggest threat. Cawdor for me is well off form. Bench would be the place for him to find his fire again.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 5:57pm
Aled is faster at assessing his options because he is continually watching the space around him whereas at the moment Cawdor seems to wait until the ball is in his hands before having a look, so taking longer and giving the outside half less time to react, especially when the opposition is up very quickly, with the dire consequences we saw on Saturday.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 5:58pm
Our dilemma could be the fact that Gatland seems to prefer Gareth Davies at the moment. 

If Gatland insists that Gareth must be a regular first choice at his region to play for Wales, then Gareth may leave us.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 6:03pm
Pivac must make the choice that's best for the Scarlets-that's what he's paid for.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 6:06pm

Aled is faster at assessing his options because he is continually watching the space around him whereas at the moment Cawdor seems to wait until the ball is in his hands before having a look, so taking longer and giving the outside half less time to react, especially when the opposition is up very quickly, with the dire consequences we saw on Saturday.

I'd tend to disagree on this point. In my view the outside half should dictate play. The scrum half's job should be to get to the ruck quickly and secure the ball. 

Once or twice recently our scrum half has been running to the ruck and looking around to assess his options. In the Treviso game Aled did this and the ball shot out of the ruck on our side. Not sure if it happened legally or not, but Aled didn't notice as he was assessing his options, ran past the ball without seeing it, and one of their players pounced on it and claimed possession. 

I may be wrong here, but I think that we've conceded a try at home under similar circumstances this season. Was it Conway's try for Munster ?
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 6:08pm

Pivac must make the choice that's best for the Scarlets-that's what he's paid for.

I agree, but if that is Aled then Gareth may leave to join a region where he will be first choice. O's would certainly be in for him if Webb goes !!!
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by TheKing TheKing wrote:

Agree to a point Cawdor is way ahead of the others. Personally feel Rhodri has the best all round game of the three scrum halves. Aled has improved but still fail to see all the hype that some on here give him.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 6:17pm
I'm not saying Aled's perfect or doesn't make mistakes but his approach is better on the whole.  And on one occasion on Saturday the Glasgow 9 managed to plant himself in between Cawdor and Allen as the ball was slowly coming out of a scrum. You can concentrate too much on the ball and not notice the scrum half on your side or the elephant in the room.  With an aggressive defence as Glasgow had I think Aled's approach is much better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic