Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Deliberate knockdown towards own try line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deliberate knockdown towards own try line
    Posted: 13 February 2016 at 8:48pm
In the France v Ireland game, there was a situation where a player seemed to do a deliberate knockdown. But it wasn't a knock forward - it was knocked back towards his own try line as he was facing his own try line.

Looking at the laws, they state that :

12.1:
(f) Intentional knock or throw forward. A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm, nor throw forward.
Sanction: Penalty kick. A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored.

I can't find anything in the laws that states that it is foul play to deliberately and cynically knock a pass / throw from an opposition player downwards if you are facing your own goal line and the ball goes backwards. Is this correct?
Sponsored Links

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2016 at 10:38pm
It would have been a try if he hadn't touched it. Penalty try if anything.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2016 at 10:48pm
Since when has moving the ball backwards towards one's own goal-line with one's hands been an offence? The circumstances don't matter; that is not an offence of any form.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2016 at 11:04pm
How can a player be penalised for knocking a ball backwards? Forward or into touch yes. Not a penalty just good defending
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2016 at 11:18pm
Clearly just fumbling a ball backwards isn't a penalty, but it just surprised me that there is no law in place preventing a player cynically slapping a ball downwards from an opposition pass. It's only an offence if it's a knock on.

Seems a bit negative to me.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2016 at 1:06am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Clearly just fumbling a ball backwards isn't a penalty, but it just surprised me that there is no law in place preventing a player cynically slapping a ball downwards from an opposition pass. It's only an offence if it's a knock on.

if it goes backwards its all fair,interesting point you raise though
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2016 at 9:40am

That would make defending line break very very hard if they were not allowed to slap a pass out of the air.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2016 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

That would make defending line break very very hard if they were not allowed to slap a pass out of the air.

Personally I think it would make the game better. There are several things currently allowed in the laws that should be made illegal in my opinion - kicking a ball out of a players hands and slapping the ball out of a players hands are negative and are just a bugbear of mine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic