Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

our back play?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Havard Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2016 at 9:02pm
Effective back play is easier off front foot ball. We are lacking effective carriers to suck in defenders to provide extra numbers in attack. On Friday, when we did suck some defenders in, we were very slow in moving the ball on. We are easy to defend against unfortunately apart from Allen and Parkes.
Sponsored Links

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2016 at 10:08pm
Stephen is the backs coach. When mark Jones was backs coach he had loads of criticism on here. Why not so for Stephen???
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2016 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Stephen is the backs coach. When mark Jones was backs coach he had loads of criticism on here. Why not so for Stephen???
How did the back line then compare to now?
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
solihullscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solihullscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2016 at 12:54am
Fair points I think. Steven Jones is a legend and will, I think, be a great coach, but I hate that Pivac is criticised bit not Steven.
#UniteAndFight against the crooked Pro12
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2016 at 6:38am
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Looking at how good Wasps are maybe even Mark Jones could have made a name for himself there.... just saying.
have a thanks,
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2016 at 8:25am
Can't speak for everyone else but when I criticize our style of play, tactics, individual elements of our game and selection that covers all the coaches to varying degrees, I would say though that the defence and backs will struggle as we generally lose the territory and possession battle in most games and the defence has to work harder and the backs have less ball, plus continuity in selection will also play it's part.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2016 at 8:26am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Looking at how good Wasps are maybe even Mark Jones could have made a name for himself there.... just saying.
have a thanks,

You're right, Stevo's obviously left them in very good shape.
ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2016 at 8:33am
It is a bit of a downer when you look at the Pro12, and we are in 4th, yet we have won the most games (joint with Leinster).  I think we have 4 bonus points this season (losses to Leinster, Ospreys & Blues) and only 1 for 4 tries.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2016 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

have a thanks,

Has to be taken into consideration that some of the back we currently have playing for us are barely professional class.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2016 at 8:40am

have a thanks,

amazing after just one year there,my point is and always has been it's high time we started doing what is best for the region and not what's best for ex players.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2016 at 8:43am

have a thanks,

amazing after just one year there,my point is and always has been it's high time we started doing what is best for the region and not what's best for ex players.
I agree completely with you point I'm just trying to give it some balance. Some of our current backs are as poor as some of Wasps' backs are awesome.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2016 at 8:54am

have a thanks,

I forgot to add in a smiley winky emoticon just to show the comment was tongue in cheek following my post suggesting a bit of context, my attempts at humour continue to flounder.

No-one really thinks that when we employ coaches it's just to do the lads a favour do they?

There's multiple elements to it, continuity, familiarity, potential, cost, career progression to hold onto players, reduced risk, etc. etc. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2016 at 9:02am
Embarrassed

have a thanks,

I forgot to add in a smiley winky emoticon just to show the comment was tongue in cheek following my post suggesting a bit of context, my attempts at humour continue to flounder.

No-one really thinks that when we employ coaches it's just to do the lads a favour do they?

There's multiple elements to it, continuity, familiarity, potential, cost, career progression to hold onto players, reduced risk, etc. etc. 
I didn't take it as a dig post so no need for emoticons SmileTongueWinkCryLOL stevo is up there as one of my all time favourite scarlet players and is a great bloke,it's just we always seem to find roles for ex players instead of maybe appointing a "proven" backs coach for maybe 2 years whilst steve got 2 years more experience and then if he was successful give him a job.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2016 at 9:08am
Stephen Jones was brought back as an attack coach with potential. Nobody ever said he was the finished article. When comparing our back play you really have to compare the raw materials available. We do not have available at the moment players of the calibre of Wade, Piatau, Daly, Halai & the ex Leinster 10 whose name escapes me at the moment. All 5 would be first choices in our team to play Ulster next weekend.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2016 at 9:32am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I think it's difficult to compare then with now, without looking at the quality of players available. Just looking at the back line of a few seasons ago.......

15. Sanjay, 14. North, 13. Foxy, 12. Scott Williams, 11. Morgan Stoddart, 10. Priestland, 9. Knoyle.

When you think - only two of those players are still with us, and neither have been available for selection all season. If we had the backline of a few seasons ago, I'm sure we would be top of the league now, and possibly had a good run in Europe this year.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 15 February 2016 at 9:33am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2016 at 9:32am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Stephen Jones was brought back as an attack coach with potential. Nobody ever said he was the finished article. When comparing our back play you really have to compare the raw materials available. We do not have available at the moment players of the calibre of Wade, Piatau, Daly, Halai & the ex Leinster 10 whose name escapes me at the moment. All 5 would be first choices in our team to play Ulster next weekend.
would we sign any other coach who wasn't a finished article if he hadn't played for us?with regards to the calibre of player he has to work with doesn't that suggest that those calibre of players made his job easier and looking better than maybe it was,shingler was a damn good player last year who seems to have regressed under the new coach,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic