Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

North americans to join pro 12?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExileTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 10:35am
I wonder how adding North Americans might impact the ECC qualification criteria as I'd assume they wouldn't be allowed to join the European cups
Sponsored Links

Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 12:55pm
I just checked flights for a random weekend in January from Gatwick to Vancouver and a direct return flight Thursday to Monday was £363, if the North Americans joining the league results in us being on a financial footing to compete in Europe I'll take that flight price if I really wanted to go to the game, all day long.

The bit that I don't like is that the RFU would benefit from it as they own some of the parent company that runs pro rugby in America, not sure how much they own though.
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I just checked flights for a random weekend in January from Gatwick to Vancouver and a direct return flight Thursday to Monday was £363, if the North Americans joining the league results in us being on a financial footing to compete in Europe I'll take that flight price if I really wanted to go to the game, all day long.

The bit that I don't like is that the RFU would benefit from it as they own some of the parent company that runs pro rugby in America, not sure how much they own though.

Shocked

I know that the PRO12 have said that they would help set up the new teams. So hopefully the teams joining the PRO12 would be a separate entity? They are a mercenary bunch that lot. All the help we gave them and what did we get? a sevens tournament that nobody gives a toss about.

I cant see why they would be against a 6 Nations switch to the end of the season. I cant see how that hurts their league. They could still do play off's and have and a big final at the end and then play the 6 Nations.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 1:50pm
Bit more about it here:

http://www.englandrugby.com/news/rfu-and-usa-rugby-join-forces-world-biggest-sporting-market/#

Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 3:02pm
It would certainly open up a position for someone or a team of people to organise trip packages down Y Parc. Just imagine the team and supporters travelling as one, would be awesome! ClapClapClap

Something like this would have to involve a collective travel plan with other teams\regions currently in the Pro 12 to keep costs at a minimum, and to ensure respectable travelling costs for both teams\regions and supporters. If it could be organised collectively, you could have two or three teams and their supporters all travelling on the same flights\transport to and from the away games in North America (inc hotels)..........could be epic! ClapClapClap
Scarlets!!!
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 3:33pm
More the merrier I say, the league isn't the best imo, would like to see more teams with another division so some promotion and relegation would be involved.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Can't see much of a downside, hope it comes off.

Away trip price?

You expect people to travel to the US every time we play?

How many Saffers travel to NZ when the Blues play Crusaders do you think?

This is not a fixture designed for away support to attend regularly surely.

Surely that's a downside then?

How?

What's the average Scarlet attendance for away league games across a season outside Wales.. 100? Less ?
NeylandAllBlack View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeylandAllBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 6:54pm
Good job I work for an Airline!!!!
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 8:08pm

Away trip price?

How?

What's the average Scarlet attendance for away league games across a season outside Wales.. 100? Less ?

Not sure but I'd guess single figures in America. I suppose if you're minted it wouldn't hold you back.

Edited by SA14 - 30 August 2016 at 8:09pm
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 8:25pm
I think the point I'm making is very few make the trip to inland GB and Ireland, so the effect of having US fixtures is negligible in that context.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 8:27pm

Away trip price?

How?

Another fixture designed for zilch away support. Not exactly something that gets me inpired to be honest.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 8:33pm
There's really only an Anglo Welsh that could yield significant away support in my view.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 8:35pm

There's really only an Anglo Welsh that could yield significant away support in my view.

Agree. Sometimes I have to scratch my head at these talks of planning rugby matches on the Eastern seaboard of the US, when our natural rugby rivals are a drive over a bridge.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 9:01pm
We've got to go where we are welcome. The only reason we would allow USA teams into the league is purely the potential for increased TV deals and competiton sponsorships.

Mind you I would feel proud if the partnership develops rugby stateside. If it really took off there, Rugby Union would be the winner.

I would imagine the players would love a tour in the USA/Canada as well. For the USA players it would be a slog mind. But they would get the competition they need to develop themselves and their national team.

I gave up on an Anglo Welsh a couple of years ago. Its just not going to happen.
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

We've got to go where we are welcome. The only reason we would allow USA teams into the league is purely the potential for increased TV deals and competiton sponsorships.

Mind you I would feel proud if the partnership develops rugby stateside. If it really took off there, Rugby Union would be the winner.

I would imagine the players would love a tour in the USA/Canada as well. For the USA players it would be a slog mind. But they would get the competition they need to develop themselves and their national team.

I gave up on an Anglo Welsh a couple of years ago. Its just not going to happen.

Most supporters don`t want the Italian teams yet you want the inclusion of amateur teams from a country 4,000 miles away. And where is the money come for all these trans-atlantic flights?

Edited by s.pimpernel - 30 August 2016 at 10:29pm
In Pivac we trust
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Most supporters don`t want the Italian teams yet you want the inclusion of amateur teams from a country 4,000 miles away. And where is the money come for all these trans-atlantic flights?

Pimp only going on what Mark Davies told us at the Crys meeting a month or so ago. "The Pro 12 has to explore America, we have no choice, we have to increase funding". They've done the sums, the growth and potential TV sponsors wealth is there. It would more than cover travel costs and would grow.

There are very many North Americans who play abroad. DTH said last year he was interested in playing in USA Pro rugby. The Model at present is that the PRO 12 would help set up teams with players, coaches, managers etc. There would be mini tours to save on flights.

One of the stumbling blocks is east coast cold winters. They see that to enable this change the 6 Nations would need to be pushed back. The WRU, Irish, Scots and Italians would go along with it. Thus isolating England and France. I can see why France wouldnt want to move it as their season traditionally ends last. Why the English wouldnt want to move it, I dont know. They are probably already playing bartering games to get leverage for whatever other changes they want to happen.

As Ive said if World Rugby get behind these changes the English and French might be cornered. Who knows.

Maybe the new league and or conferances will go ahead without calender changes. Artificial pitches mean American Football teams play through the winter.

It might not happen, but the Pro 12 are deadly serious about this. Why have England got their noses in the American Pie already? Huge growth potential.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic