Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dan Evans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dan Evans
    Posted: 11 September 2016 at 8:31am
Had a great game again last night. He would have added so much to our squad Sanjay or not. Really shortsighted of the Scarlets to let him go.
Sponsored Links

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2016 at 8:38am
yeap these are just some of the players in the last few years weve let go of, many good quality squad players

dan evans
jordan
adam warren
shingler
Owen williams
priestland
rhodri williams
josh turnbull
rory pitman
rob mccusker
Damian welch
dominic day
jo snyman
george earle
kirby myhill
rhodri jones
etc

Edited by roy munster - 11 September 2016 at 3:55pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2016 at 8:47am
What's a bit short sighted is forgetting Dan's head was in a shed when at the Scarlets in his last season or two. Like a few on that list, called up by Wales when they were teenagers and not established first team players. Messed up their perceptions of where they stood in the club selection cycle.
To Dan's credit he got his act together in the ensuing few years.

Also has to be said a stack of those players chose to leave whilst a Scarlets offer was on the table, not that I don't wish some of them stayed, particularly Turnbull, Rhodri W and Priestland
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2016 at 9:04am
Don't think I am being short sighted Will. Surely that is what part of good management is. Spotting & developing home grown talent. Of course young players can get ahead of themselves but if they have talent they must be encouraged and helped. If we had given Dan some management then we would be reaping the benefits instead of the Ospreys.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2016 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

What's a bit short sighted is forgetting Dan's head was in a shed when at the Scarlets in his last season or two. Like a few on that list, called up by Wales when they were teenagers and not established first team players. Messed up their perceptions of where they stood in the club selection cycle.

Also has to be said a stack of those players chose to leave whilst a Scarlets offer was on the table, not that I don't wish some of them stayed, particularly Turnbull, Rhodri W and Priestland
Absolutely.
Earle playing well under Wilson too
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2016 at 9:47am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Don't think I am being short sighted Will. Surely that is what part of good management is. Spotting & developing home grown talent. Of course young players can get ahead of themselves but if they have talent they must be encouraged and helped. If we had given Dan some management then we would be reaping the benefits instead of the Ospreys.

I have no idea whether we tried with Dan or not. An obvious talent from his early days with us but something was wrong when @ Scarlets. He's certainly playing very well at the moment.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2016 at 10:28am
Many of my friends know him well and they all use the same word to describe him "arrogant". Says it all really. Need a level head to fit into a squad, knowing where u are in that squad.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2016 at 10:44am

Can't disagree with at that, ultimately the player has to apply himself too for the equation to work though.

Pretty much everyone thought Dan would be better moving on at the time. It was a poor situation and he'd lost his place.

We need an hour and a couple of pints to talk about the best possible player development pathways...and I agree the other regions, and indeed the Aviva Prem and Championship, is literally littered with Scarlet region developed talent....in that context a Wales B team could be good.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2016 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Absolutely.
Earle playing well under Wilson too

Yep. I have my views on the likes of Snyman, but George was tagged as having an injury profile that would mean long periods out and be possibly career threatening....so starting fir the Blues this season makes me punch myself in the chops. He was the additional grunt we look to be missing in the row.

AB2008 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AB2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2016 at 11:00am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

yeap these are just some of the players in the last few years weve let go of, many good quality squad players

dan evans
jordan
adam warren
shingler
priestland
rhodri williams
josh turnbull
rory pitman
rob mccusker
jo snyman
george earle
kirby myhill
rhodri jones
etc

Cant see Kirby, Pitman, Mccusker being good additions to our current squad but you can add Sam Parry & Luke Hamilton (Leicester) to that list of players that would certainly improve the current players we do have. 
Wil Scarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2016 at 11:22am
Owen Williams is one of the biggest losses over the past few seasons, and Damien Welch and Dominic Day have become very useful players. However all squads lose players who flourish elsewhere, sometimes it's the environment that's not right, so they move on.
Scott Williams - I think I'll cut down on the fags!
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2016 at 11:43am
Dan Evans' attitude seemed very poor in his final season with us. He was out of shape and played poorly. Letting him go was the correct decision.

Some people need to be in the last chance saloon before they realise what they've got. Fair play to Dan. He resurrected his career at the Dragons and earned a move to the Ospreys. He's turned into a good, consistent player.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2016 at 11:53am
Well Mogwen arrogant or not he seems to fit in at the Ospreys being first choice every game. Will has hit the nail on the head - he probably thought he was a better player then he was as he had been capped during a Lions summer if I recall when our A team toured North America. However the past 4-5 seasons he has been a very consistent performer & would have been a good squad player for us. I hate to see good local talent playing elsewhere. I know it is impossible to keep everyone happy as is the case with Rhodri Williams & Kirby.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2016 at 11:56am
Yes Will I am watching Earle closely. Started both games so far & gone well. His injury profile the last two seasons with us was pretty poor but he certainly was one of our better recent imports. I will be gutted if he plays 20+ times this season but pleased for him - a decent bloke by all accounts. 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2016 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Wil Scarlet Wil Scarlet wrote:

Owen Williams is one of the biggest losses over the past few seasons, and Damien Welch and Dominic Day have become very useful players. However all squads lose players who flourish elsewhere, sometimes it's the environment that's not right, so they move on.

Spot on. It's not always about 'letting players go'. How many times have good players left us to become rubbish at other clubs.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2016 at 2:28pm

Well Mogwen arrogant or not he seems to fit in at the Ospreys being first choice every game. Will has hit the nail on the head - he probably thought he was a better player then he was as he had been capped during a Lions summer if I recall when our A team toured North America. However the past 4-5 seasons he has been a very consistent performer & would have been a good squad player for us. I hate to see good local talent playing elsewhere. I know it is impossible to keep everyone happy as is the case with Rhodri Williams & Kirby.

Arrogance on the pitch can be a good thing. But to ignore fans, refuse to sign autographs and to use the phrase"do u know who I am??" Whilst on a night out... After all he was a global superstar after his tour with Wales😟😟😟😟.That is what I am talking about. He wasn't as good as that when he was with us. He certainly wouldn't have developed as well if he hadn't left. He is a good player and that's all.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic