Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ex player watch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 10:10pm
Well said Dan
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 8:06am
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

It isn't often over the last 15 years or so we've released youngsters who have made a big impact elsewhere.

However that's a trend that seems to be changing. Josh Adams, Jack Roberts and Luke Hamilton are all having big seasons in the Aviva. Owen Williams enters that category too although I realise we were outbid.

We depend on our academy to develop a sufficiently strong first team as we will never get there recruiting alone given the money in the game. It's a shame we couldn't realise the talent of these 4 at the Scarlets. IMO they would all add to our squad.

When you continue to develop home grown talent there is always that conundrum. Owen went because of the money so he does not fit the bill. Of the other three only Josh would get in to our match day 23 next season even when the Internationals were away in my opinion. In his case who could predict losing DTH & Liam 2/3 years ago? 
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 9:59am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

It isn't often over the last 15 years or so we've released youngsters who have made a big impact elsewhere.

However that's a trend that seems to be changing. Josh Adams, Jack Roberts and Luke Hamilton are all having big seasons in the Aviva. Owen Williams enters that category too although I realise we were outbid.

We depend on our academy to develop a sufficiently strong first team as we will never get there recruiting alone given the money in the game. It's a shame we couldn't realise the talent of these 4 at the Scarlets. IMO they would all add to our squad.

When you continue to develop home grown talent there is always that conundrum. Owen went because of the money so he does not fit the bill. Of the other three only Josh would get in to our match day 23 next season even when the Internationals were away in my opinion. In his case who could predict losing DTH & Liam 2/3 years ago? 

Owen was an Os reject who we gave a trial to and Leicester came barging in with a full time contract offer; and I thought |Hamilton's departure was more down to moving to Cardiff for educational reasons than us rejecting him. One has to be quite careful ascribing motives to these situations. In only a few cases (Price, Beirne and Liam spring immediately to mind) is there a clear motivation of moving because of rejection or blocked progress at the club they were in the academy of.
trident View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 10:09am
Josh Lewis signed for Bath
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 10:09am
How is the sometimes controversial Dan Thomas getting on -is he a regular starter for Gloucester now? he must now be of a mature age  as must have left about 4 years ago? circa 25?
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 10:26am
Josh Adams wouldn't stay in semi pro to work on his weakness...Pivac already mentioned when he left he would more than welcome josh back if he worked on his weaknesses. Unfortunately he wanted first team action when Scarlets thought him to be not quite ready. The fact that Worcester loaned him out during his first year with them to me shows Scarlets were right.

Don't see him not coming back if he wanted too, he didn't leave under bad circumstances to my knowledge.

Jack Roberts to me unfortunately comes under the "unlucky who was around"...Scott, Foxy, King, Maule, Nic Reynolds, Steff Hughes etc all been at centre all at the same time. We can't blend everyone in. Hopefully he can make something of himself at the blues.

We have got a pretty good academy, but unfortunately reality can't bring every single one through. We have in my opinion got the majority of calls right rather than wrong.
Even when we bring through players like Tom Price, Tadhg Beirne, Lewis Rawlins etc.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 1:31pm
Dan Thomas - only started 11 games in 3 years, only played 3 Prem games and hasn't played anything other than the LV Cup this year. Not better than Boyde, Barclay or Cubby.
Best of luck to Josh Lewis though. He has the attributes to carve out a career for himself at the highest level.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 1:45pm
I liked Josh Lewis. 

Pacey, did well for us at 15 against Toulon few years back too. 
Shame it didn't work out between us and him, IIRC he picked up his fair share of injuries, lengthy ones too - strange how no region came in for him, especially the Dragons, seeing that he was from that region. 
Surprised Dragons didnt even give him a chance before he signed for Llanelli RFC as he was tearing it up for Ebbw - highest points record holder - broke Byron Haywards record before coming to us. 

Hope he does well for Bath...Aled Brew went there on a trial, impressed and stayed as well.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

I liked Josh Lewis. 

Shame it didn't work out between us and him, IIRC he picked up his fair share of injuries, lengthy ones too - strange how no region came in for him, especially the Dragons, seeing that he was from that region. 
Surprised Dragons didnt even give him a chance before he signed for Llanelli RFC as he was tearing it up for Ebbw - highest points record holder - broke Byron Haywards record before coming to us. 

Hope he does well for Bath...Aled Brew went there on a trial, impressed and stayed as well.

Only ever seen a glimpse of Josh as a sub against Toulon I think. Was very impressed with his pace if I remember correctly.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

I liked Josh Lewis. 

Only ever seen a glimpse of Josh as a sub against Toulon I think. Was very impressed with his pace if I remember correctly.
He had very good pace...especially for a ten. 
Didn't he feature on the wing as well in that European campaign as a sub? 

SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2017 at 12:18pm
Sion Bennet has been given a contract with the Blues after impressing on loan there from Northampton.
Well done Sion good to see another academy player at the top level.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2017 at 10:18am
Dom Day to Sarries.  What an excellent move for him, hope gets some game time! 2 year deal as well.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39744481
Joshua24:15
trident View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:14am
I see Dan Thomas has signed for Bristol.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:51pm
Off the back of a scrum going backwards, Ben Morgan has been phenomenal in the first half of the Challenge Cup final tonight. 
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Off the back of a scrum going backwards, Ben Morgan has been phenomenal in the first half of the Challenge Cup final tonight. 

Given SF's remarkable resurgence ever since their merger with Racing was called off, maybe the Ospreys shouldn't feel so guilty about losing to them after all!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 8:09am
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Originally posted by John John wrote:

Given SF's remarkable resurgence ever since their merger with Racing was called off, maybe the Ospreys shouldn't feel so guilty about losing to them after all!

How the Ospreys managed to lose that game against Stade remains one of the modern day mysteries to me - gave up a great chance of silverware. On the subject of Ben Morgan - he had a great game going backwards at every scrum. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic