Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AROUND THE REGION
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coleg Sir Gar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coleg Sir Gar
    Posted: 09 December 2016 at 7:30pm
Haven't seen anything about it on here so made this thread to say well done to Sir Gar and their coach Euros Evans on winning the big cup, beating rivals Cymoedd 27-25 I think on Wednesday to finish the year unbeaten at u18s.
Makes up for losing to the same team the last two years. Cymoedd vs Sir Gar has been the final for 6/7 years in a row I think now.
They were trailing 18-0 at half time but a superb comeback with some great running rugby in the second half, all sparked by a great try from Ryan Conbeer. Some very good players in that side including 7 Dan Davies 12 Scott Lloyd 14 Ryan Conbeer and 15 Harry Doel.
Special praise though for captain Lewis Ellis Jones at second row who looks to have a very bright future ahead of him. Pretty sure it's on S4C website so reccomend the watch to anyone at a loose end.
Sponsored Links

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2016 at 10:16pm
Alun Lawrence the Cymoedd 8 and captain was a pretty good player as well. From the little they showed of the game on Wednesday I'd say we were always on top in the scrums. They won the lineouts  and to start with dominated the breakdown with their blitz defence causing us lots of problems. After the half-time talk our line was a lot less flat with players accelerating into space and their bigger players getting tired and beginning to miss tackles, leaving our backs to score 3 excellent unanswered tries. In a typical Scarlets finish they allowed Y Cymoedd to score a final try but were still clear. I don't know if Ellis-Jones fellow second row was injured early but I saw little of him throughout the game and as far as long-term recruitment is required we could start looking for the type of players that don't occur too frequently in west Wales like big tall 5s and big powerful 8s
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2016 at 9:34am

Well Done ! to all involved at Coleg Sir Gar,a great season and a fantastic comeback to win the final .

A strong possibility that five of these ladswill  play for the Scarlets,with regards Thomas Ellis Jones believe me this guy his a ball-carrier,I saw him play for Scarlets under 18s v Wasps pre season when we put 40 plus points on them,he was immense.Ryan Conbeer what a fantastic talent,young Harri Doel also huge prospect and only 16 .
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2016 at 9:49am
What a great story. I will be looking out for Conbeer & Ellis Jones in the years to come. A genuine ball carrying, home grown 2nd row to look forward to - whats the world coming to. This lad Conbeer can't stop scoring tries. 
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2016 at 12:43pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bdhymRXJCcw
Link to Conbeer's try to start the comeback.. Few things to note firstly the ease he beats the first man, the pace round the outside, the superb take and give from Doel, Conbeer's presence of mind to stay wide and to drop back a few yards for the pass.. Superb try and its when Sir Gar looked like they started to believe again.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2016 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bdhymRXJCcw
Link to Conbeer's try to start the comeback.. Few things to note firstly the ease he beats the first man, the pace round the outside, the superb take and give from Doel, Conbeer's presence of mind to stay wide and to drop back a few yards for the pass.. Superb try and its when Sir Gar looked like they started to believe again.

Thanks for that - Doel did well, too, to react quickly when Conbeer beat his man, running a perfect line for the take-and-give to finish things off.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2016 at 7:21pm
Very George northesque that try,the fend etc
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2016 at 9:38pm
To me, it wasn't so much a fend as a gentle push followed by a dancing step round his wing and an amazing acceleration from a standing start. I can't really remember anyone score a similar try. Still let's not get carried away -he didn't go under the posts!!Wink
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 9:18am
Scott Lloyd the centre looked a handful, and turned the game on its head second half.

Conbeer's try was a thing of beauty. Reminded me of Sparky beating Chopsy Ojo at the Madjeski in the 5 yard channel many moons ago. Beautiful feet
#George
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2017 at 2:16am
Forgive my ignorance, but I have not lived in Llanelli since 1974. Is that the school which was the old Llanelli Grammar school (where I went)?
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2017 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but I have not lived in Llanelli since 1974. Is that the school which was the old Llanelli Grammar school (where I went)?

Not really. Coleg Sir Gar is a college of further education with 5 campuses and 9k students - the largest campus is at Graig, Llanelli.

I suppose the 'real' answer, if there is one, is that the Grammar (my father was a pupil) ceased to exist when comprehensive schools were brought in. The 'old' grammar school building now houses the Welsh medium comprehensive, Ysgol Y Strade. You may recognise the old buildings on the left of the picture on the website:

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

Not really. Coleg Sir Gar is a college of further education with 5 campuses and 9k students - the largest campus is at Graig, Llanelli.

I suppose the 'real' answer, if there is one, is that the Grammar (my father was a pupil) ceased to exist when comprehensive schools were brought in. The 'old' grammar school building now houses the Welsh medium comprehensive, Ysgol Y Strade. You may recognise the old buildings on the left of the picture on the website:

Not quite, Graig campus was the Grammar school. Strade was secondary modern (I think, or was it a girls school?)
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2017 at 11:24am
Ysgol Y Strade was and still is a Welsh Secondary School (boys & girls), totally correct the Graig Campus was the old Llanelli Gram, but has changed dramatically since becoming Coleg Sir Gar.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2017 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Ysgol Y Strade was and still is a Welsh Secondary School (boys & girls), totally correct the Graig Campus was the old Llanelli Gram, but has changed dramatically since becoming Coleg Sir Gar.

I went there myself, but what was Strade before it was a Welsh school (was it the 70's when it changed over)?
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2017 at 12:10pm
I went there in the 60's and it was bilingual, or to give its proper name Ysgol  Ddwyieithog Y Strade
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2017 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Thanks for your corrections - to yourself and others. I had wrongly assumed the current Strade campus was the old grammar. No doubt Dad would have put me right - but he's passed away, so...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic