FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NWQ's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NWQ's
    Posted: 21 December 2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Feverpitch Feverpitch wrote:

Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

I would say that at least 3 of those would be in the current wales set up (DTH/McNichol and Parkes), alongside Barclay as being very likely. That's pretty elite group.

Hang fire on bigging up McNicholl, he's played one game.
Yes the Super rugby highlights look good but so have others and not cut it in Pro12. Let's not get too excited yet. I hope he lives up to the hype as we would be able to field some backline even when Sanjay moves on.

Surely he can't be worse than Cuthbert ;)
Sponsored Links

Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 10:45am
Totally agree
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 9:58am
i was really worried about the 2nd row position this season, with jake ball really being the only top class player there. but bullbring has improved massively from last year and has settled in. 
whilst price and beirne have been really impressive, especially tadh in the last few games. was so so impressed by him on sunday. he was up against massive men and didnt give an inch
tom price too has a great future if he keeps developing and increasing his weight and could be a future 2nd row for wales. 
well done the scouting system and the coaches!
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 9:17am
Could not agree more Aber-fan regarding Anscombe. To use NDC money on him was outrageous. Of course I forgot to include in my list Beirne - shame on me - his performances in the last month have propelled him into our starting 23 even with Bulbring fit. Our recruitment policy over the past couple of seasons has shown a good understanding of where we are. We cannot afford the rock stars leave that to the French, Saracens & Wasps. However we seem to have targeted good club academy grown players who are having difficulty breaking in to first teams - I think of Tom Price at Leicester an under 20's England international who is also qualified for Wales; Tadh Beirne Leinster academy & Ireland under 20's. Both have developed in our environment and once given the chance have thrived. 

Pivac knew & trusted Hadleigh & he has been an absolute gem of a signing. If Pivac gets it right again with McNichol then we can all be very happy. His performances in Super Rugby suggest we have a quality player on our hands. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 9:03am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

The fact he was top player in Super rugby clearly moves him right up as a significant  signing. He is hardly a development punt! 

Referring to McNichol? But it's certainly true than not all super rugby players make the grade in the NH - most SF posters probably agree by now that the WRU cash spent on Anscombe was wasted - he's flattered to deceive.
that's true aberfan!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 9:00am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

The fact he was top player in Super rugby clearly moves him right up as a significant  signing. He is hardly a development punt! 

Referring to McNichol? But it's certainly true than not all super rugby players make the grade in the NH - most SF posters probably agree by now that the WRU cash spent on Anscombe was wasted - he's flattered to deceive.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 9:00am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Have we ever had a group of NWQ's that are as good as the current crop - Barclay, Parkes, DTH, Werner, Bulbring, Mcnichol.

I think you're right - and Beirne can be added to that list. It's a real credit to our scouts and coaches that they have identified and signed these players.

I wonder how many can be regarded as time servers? Obviously not Barclay, DTH or Kruger... has McNichol been capped? The one getting close to being WQ is Parkes according to one post - is that right? I thought he'd have quite a while left...

Parkes is certainly as effective a back-up to the current Wales centres as any... I guess Beck would be rated higher except (maybe) for his injury issues.

Love Parkes for his reliability and versatility. Clever, hard working  player.Good defence and strong runner - he made Scotts try on Sunday. Played really well together. He passes a lot better than Foxy! Pivac rates him as an international level player - I agree Clap

Edited by reesytheexile - 21 December 2016 at 9:02am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 8:55am
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 8:54am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Have we ever had a group of NWQ's that are as good as the current crop - Barclay, Parkes, DTH, Werner, Bulbring, Mcnichol.

I think you're right - and Beirne can be added to that list. It's a real credit to our scouts and coaches that they have identified and signed these players.

I wonder how many can be regarded as time servers? Obviously not Barclay, DTH or Kruger... has McNichol been capped? The one getting close to being WQ is Parkes according to one post - is that right? I thought he'd have quite a while left...

Parkes is certainly as effective a back-up to the current Wales centres as any... I guess Beck would be rated higher except (maybe) for his injury issues.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 7:02am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I would say that at least 3 of those would be in the current wales set up (DTH/McNichol and Parkes), alongside Barclay as being very likely. That's pretty elite group.

Yes the Super rugby highlights look good but so have others and not cut it in Pro12. Let's not get too excited yet. I hope he lives up to the hype as we would be able to field some backline even when Sanjay moves on.
I've watched McNicholl play week in week out at Super Rugby level and I'm telling you now he's an international class player

He's playing northern hemisphere rugby alongside different players and with different coaches.
The Scarlets suit him down to the ground, he's very very good
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 3:46am
The logical replacement for Liam
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 2:48am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I've watched McNicholl play week in week out at Super Rugby level and I'm telling you now he's an international class player

He's playing northern hemisphere rugby alongside different players and with different coaches.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Hendre Hendre wrote:

Shame none of them are actually Welsh! Hopefully World Rugby will get a grip of the nonsense that is eligibility.
lets hope they start with new Zealand.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 10:17pm

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Something tells me Beirne Welsh qualified, Parkes must also be very near, as is Bernardo.<div abp="1097">As for Bernardo, he is a real enigma.  He's big and athletic, has good hands but somehow isn't making the impact we had hoped. For Scarlets A I thought he played well against Leinster A, but he didn't seem to mix or celebrate with the rest of the team, who seemed to avoid him as if he was selling the  <div abp="1097">Big Issue. Let's hope he had a few pints and mixed and relaxed with the rest of the boys in the Squad celebrating the momentous thrashing of Toulon.

Parkeston is proving to be a tremendous regional player and very hard to leave out of the team even with international players coming back, but he is nowhere near international quality himself and wouldn't get a look in in the Welsh set up
Nonsense. I can't think of a better centre available for Wales after Foxy, Scott and Jamie Roberts.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Hendre Hendre wrote:

Shame none of them are actually Welsh! Hopefully World Rugby will get a grip of the nonsense that is eligibility.
Notice the thread title? LOL
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 8:57pm
I'm not sure parkes is the right 'fit' for the Wales set-up, but who knows... he's of a higher calibre than some that get/have been selected.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic