Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NWQ's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NWQ's
    Posted: 20 December 2016 at 3:51pm
Have we ever had a group of NWQ's that are as good as the current crop - Barclay, Parkes, DTH, Werner, Bulbring, Mcnichol.
Sponsored Links

Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 4:02pm
I would say that at least 3 of those would be in the current wales set up (DTH/McNichol and Parkes), alongside Barclay as being very likely. That's pretty elite group.
welshbenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welshbenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Have we ever had a group of NWQ's that are as good as the current crop - Barclay, Parkes, DTH, Werner, Bulbring, Mcnichol.

Hodges, Easterby, Finau, Gross

But yeah, the current crop are better.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 7:04pm
Something tells me Beirne Welsh qualified, Parkes must also be very near, as is Bernardo.
As for Bernardo, he is a real enigma.  He's big and athletic, has good hands but somehow isn't making the impact we had hoped. For Scarlets A I thought he played well against Leinster A, but he didn't seem to mix or celebrate with the rest of the team, who seemed to avoid him as if he was selling the 
Big Issue. Let's hope he had a few pints and mixed and relaxed with the rest of the boys in the Squad celebrating the momentous thrashing of Toulon.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 7:27pm
FFidel, that's a bit of a concern re Bernardo. Hope it's a one off

I'd be surprised if Berne is WQ. Can't recall reading anything of that ilk before. Hadleigh is WQ in Dec I believe.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Llywarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llywarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 7:32pm
Bernie seems to have come on leaps and bounds - not only is he a decent ball carrier and has skills to complement it but he's jackled as well as an openside. He's a real asset to the team if he contiues playing as well as he has.
Feverpitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feverpitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

I would say that at least 3 of those would be in the current wales set up (DTH/McNichol and Parkes), alongside Barclay as being very likely. That's pretty elite group.

Hang fire on bigging up McNicholl, he's played one game.
Yes the Super rugby highlights look good but so have others and not cut it in Pro12. Let's not get too excited yet. I hope he lives up to the hype as we would be able to field some backline even when Sanjay moves on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feverpitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Something tells me Beirne Welsh qualified, Parkes must also be very near, as is Bernardo.<div abp="1097">As for Bernardo, he is a real enigma.  He's big and athletic, has good hands but somehow isn't making the impact we had hoped. For Scarlets A I thought he played well against Leinster A, but he didn't seem to mix or celebrate with the rest of the team, who seemed to avoid him as if he was selling the  <div abp="1097">Big Issue. Let's hope he had a few pints and mixed and relaxed with the rest of the boys in the Squad celebrating the momentous thrashing of Toulon.

Parkeston is proving to be a tremendous regional player and very hard to leave out of the team even with international players coming back, but he is nowhere near international quality himself and wouldn't get a look in in the Welsh set up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feverpitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Feverpitch Feverpitch wrote:

Something tells me Beirne Welsh qualified, Parkes must also be very near, as is Bernardo.<div abp="1097">As for Bernardo, he is a real enigma.  He's big and athletic, has good hands but somehow isn't making the impact we had hoped. For Scarlets A I thought he played well against Leinster A, but he didn't seem to mix or celebrate with the rest of the team, who seemed to avoid him as if he was selling the  <div abp="1097">Big Issue. Let's hope he had a few pints and mixed and relaxed with the rest of the boys in the Squad celebrating the momentous thrashing of Toulon.

Parkes is proving to be a tremendous regional player and very hard to leave out of the team even with international players coming back, but he is nowhere near international quality himself and wouldn't get a look in in the Welsh set up
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 7:52pm

Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Hang fire on bigging up McNicholl, he's played one game.
Yes the Super rugby highlights look good but so have others and not cut it in Pro12. Let's not get too excited yet. I hope he lives up to the hype as we would be able to field some backline even when Sanjay moves on.
I've watched McNicholl play week in week out at Super Rugby level and I'm telling you now he's an international class player

Edited by scarletnut - 20 December 2016 at 7:59pm
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 7:58pm
Aye, he is.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 8:00pm

Parkes is proving to be a tremendous regional player and very hard to leave out of the team even with international players coming back, but he is nowhere near international quality himself and wouldn't get a look in in the Welsh set up
He didn't look too shabby against a plethora of world class players over the past fortnight to be fair
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Hendre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 8:56pm
Shame none of them are actually Welsh! Hopefully World Rugby will get a grip of the nonsense that is eligibility.
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 8:57pm
I'm not sure parkes is the right 'fit' for the Wales set-up, but who knows... he's of a higher calibre than some that get/have been selected.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Hendre Hendre wrote:

Shame none of them are actually Welsh! Hopefully World Rugby will get a grip of the nonsense that is eligibility.
Notice the thread title? LOL
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 10:17pm

Parkeston is proving to be a tremendous regional player and very hard to leave out of the team even with international players coming back, but he is nowhere near international quality himself and wouldn't get a look in in the Welsh set up
Nonsense. I can't think of a better centre available for Wales after Foxy, Scott and Jamie Roberts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic